7 litre Corvette Z06 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about sports cars, aeroplanes, ships, rockets etc.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By hannu
?Image

Anyone own one of these? 500 horse & made from balsa wood.

Just wondering if they're any good or would it be better to go for a Porsche 998?
By War Angel
balsa wood.

ROFL - WHAT? :lol:

Why would they make it out of balsa wood? It's so tender and fragile...

Just wondering if they're any good or would it be better to go for a Porsche 998?

Personally, I think that if you are seriously comparing an American car with a German super-car... well, it might be smart to spend your money on something else. I don't know - maybe something not ridiculously overpriced? :p
By hannu
The floor is made out of balsa wood sandwich. Balsa is actually classed as a hardwood & people have sailed across oceans on balsa wood rafts tied together with string.

Porsches aren't so super. OK in a straight line, but with a rear engine set up, unless you know the road ahead they can be lethal. Don't sound as good as a seven litre V8 either.

As far as cost goes, I think a Z06 is only about 100k dollars?
By Dr House
Porsches aren't so super. OK in a straight line, but with a rear engine set up, unless you know the road ahead they can be lethal.

I've actually heard good things about the handling capacity of newer Porsches (996 and onward). They're not the unpredictable beasts they once were.

Don't sound as good as a seven litre V8 either.

Blasphemer. :mrt:

Nothing sounds better than a Porsche flat-six.
By War Angel
Don't sound as good as a seven litre V8 either.

No, it doesn't sound at all. It's a much smaller, and relatively more powerful engine. Seven liters with only 500 horse-power? That's pathetic.

Sports cars should be small and agile, fast and responsive - not big and heavy. What's the point in putting in a huge-ass engine, and then building the bloody car from fucking wood?!

Come on. I'd buy American weapons, I'll even eat their food, do their women and watch their movies and television - but they still haven't learned how to make proper cars, short of a few examples.

Porsche is one of the most well-known car trademarks in the world for a reason, and their 911 series has run for decades for a reason, too.

As far as cost goes, I think a Z06 is only about 100k dollars?

I'd buy it for 30-40. I'll throw in another 10K if they put in a decent cup holder.
By Dave
We used to make great cars War Angel. Unfortunately we seem to have lost our way and our automotive industry might die. :*(

In any case, the Corvette is a notable exception and is a great vehicle. It is not made from balsa would nor is it big and heavy. The vehicle construction consist of hydroformed steel rails with a fiber glass body, and a honeycombed balsa wood floor. Overall it is a very strong and light construction, the vehicle weighs a hair over 3,000 pounds, light for a modern sports car in its class.

I do not own a Corvette, but I've test driven one and in most respects it is an excellent vehicle. Power and torque are huge and readily available through the entire power band, and available immediately. The car is fast fast fast, incredibly fast. Officially it does 0-60 in 3.4 seconds and has a top speed around 200 miles per hour. Handling is one area of concern. While the handling is objectively excellent (it'll turn around anything and goes exactly where you point it), for some reason the vehicle doesn't communicate confidence like a Porsche does. It feels odd to drive. Owners tell me you get used to it after a few months.

Oh, and the price is only $65,000. But if you want to spend $100,000, the Corvette ZR1 can be had for that price and has 638 horsepower. 8)

War Angel wrote:Seven liters with only 500 horse-power? That's pathetic.

You have to look beyond engine volume. It's an OHV engine rather than an OHC engine, which makes it less efficient, but at the same time it weighs less. The 7 liter V-8 has a weight and size similar to most 4-5 liter OHC V-8 engines.
By hannu
Oh, and the price is only $65,000.

£60,000 in the UK. Are we being screwed?

I've heard that because of the handling the Z06 isn't as satisfying as a Porsche to drive quickly.

Is that something to to with the horse & cart type suspension?
By Thunderhawk
^ added weight of batteries? :p
Last edited by Thunderhawk on 12 Sep 2008 01:15, edited 1 time in total.
By Dave
hannu wrote:£60,000 in the UK. Are we being screwed?

Yes, but this is true of most vehicles. A BMW M3 for instance is much, much cheaper in America than the UK.

hannu wrote:I've heard that because of the handling the Z06 isn't as satisfying as a Porsche to drive quickly.

Is that something to to with the horse & cart type suspension?

I imagine it has to do with the hydroformed steel rail construction. This communicates suspension feel different than a unit body or space frame construction would. In any case, the vehicle handles superbly, better than a Porsche in fact. It just feels...odd. You probably want to talk to some Corvette owners about it.

Yes, It is illegal in the US if you do not declar[…]

Though you accuse many people ("leftists&quo[…]

Chimps are very strong too Ingliz. In terms of fo[…]

Look at this shit. This is inexcusable! >: htt[…]