11/09/1973: Allende overthrowed after a period of political instability - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

As either the transitional stage to communism or legitimate socio-economic ends in its own right.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
It is today the 50th anniversary of the military putsch which overthrowed the government Allende in Chile.
Before the putsch, the socioeconomical and political situation was already very strained and problematic.
The constitutional and electoral system of Chile allowed the possibility to form a government without having the majority of votes. Allende governed being minoritary, though the fact that he legally won the presidential election of 1970. But the reforms he set were so deep that they could only succeed with a very large support of the people.
The case Allende is an illustration of a principle that left parties should always have in mind: do not govern with less than 50% of the votes, even if it is constitutionally possible.
That coup was orchestrated by the CIA and Richard Nixon to get the far-right General Augusto Pinochet into power.

Yes, Allende did get less than 50% of the vote, but let's be honest, that is not the reason why he was removed. If it was, there would have been democratic elections after the coup as opposed to almost two decades of a brutal far-right dictatorship.

This would have happened anyway, even if he had a supermajority behind him.
NATURALLY, the less than 50% votes is not the reason that led his enemies to remove him. But without a real majority, he was condemned to fail his program of reforms. Had he succeeded, he would maybe not have been overthrowed, because he would have been less weak. For the military putchists, the operation was made easier by the fact that a large part of the population was discontent.
And it consisted in mainly not responding to or outright rejecting new requests for economic aid, understandable given Allende promised to repudiate all prior bilateral aid agreements with the US. The US also decided to be tough on external debt negotiations for the same reason and the confiscation of American-owned copper mines.

Nixon did request studying more hostile (yet still somewhat covert) measures after the "make the economy scream" stuff but they were found to be more inconvenient than Nixon initially thought. For instance, the Nixon administration seriously looked into selling copper from the US strategic reserve but it would have required Congressional authorization, was deemed to be unlikely to have any long term effects (the reserves were like 3% of the world's copper production) and could have harmed or been misinterpreted by key US allies elsewhere. So the idea was shelved.

This is all in public record at this point.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

I have never been wacko at anything. I never thou[…]

I think a Palestinian state has to be demilitariz[…]

no , i am not gonna do it. her grandfather was a[…]

did you know it ? shocking information , any comme[…]