Educational action games - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

The solving of mankind’s problems and abolition of government via technological solutions alone.

Moderator: Kolzene

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Since the days of pong, I have been fascinated by electronic games. Most of my youth was spent with a controller and a TV. Wasted time? Perhaps, but, then again, I am a hedonist and never like to say no (hence why I steer clear of drugs...most of the time). So, it could be said that I am a first generation gamer.

Games are a big part of my life, and always will be.

I think it is a fair judgment to think that technology/cerebral media/mass marketing has some good and very bad impacts on the human mind; especially, developing ones. What concerns me is that our future generations may lose something valuable in life as a result of over indulgence in digital living. Is the latest grand theft auto just what our kids need to learn about life? Is war really just like a game?

(There are much deeper points I could make, but I won’t waste your time)

Now, I’m an open minded guy, I tend to be deeply opposed to censorship but the game industry needs some changes. I think there needs to be more creativity and effort placed on educational products.

Games are still in the infantile stage (as compared to film, I suppose), however, I think it is about time they grew up. Fun games are fun games and should remain so - I just happen to think that a game is capable of being informative and stimulating. An exciting game can possess clear, positive benefits for a gamer or non gamer. Plus, it can trick us into learning things that infect our attitudes/awareness in regard to issues found in “reality”.

New and improved learning! Culture, language, science + ALL the fun and niftiness of brain candy games

The US Army proved that people love learning if the experience is not perceived as learning. In this game, players run around killing each other (virtually), but in the end they can take valuable life skills into the real world. Like how to clear a room of terrorists, or how to outfit an m4 carbine, or how to click on the recruitment page link via the game.

It’s a truly fun ass game – recommend it.

So, if the US army can create a fun and free state of the art game to promote a recruitment agenda and communicate a positive perception of itself to the public, then, why not something…else…

I’ve been working on a concept for a game that takes players into a virtual natural-environment where they assume the role of a native tribesman. The idea, like sim earth, is to put players in an environment with a simulated habitat that provides rewards consequences in response to their behavior. For example: They keep hunting off the animal supply, eventually, the tribe becomes afflicted with starvation or scurvy. Players take control of just one human, but can spirit link with animals they have learned to speak with. They must learn how to make natural medicine/boats/weapons/etc by finding what they need in the forest/jungle. Players, must adapt, learn and, ultimately, survive in the game world. Building character profiles will require tasks like the boy scouts. Some could even require players to visit museums/parks/exhibits to advance.

Yes, a questionable product to sell to 16 year olds who play CS, but they are not the main target. Besides, we damn well know kids will be playing games anyway. Think cigarettes with vitamins. Also, the Canadian government would express interest in funding something of this nature (native grants are available, I’m learning).

This is just some ideas, perhaps you have comments. :roll:

Ok, I’m off to play some Rome Total War - I have some Romans to sack before the sack
By Mickey_Spillane
I guess my point in posting here was to gather an idea of a technocrats opinion on the general idea.

If I was a technocrat, a seriously motivated one, I'd examine ways to grab an audience. Forgive me for my ignorance, but Technocracy is not a household name, no? Well, I see great potential for any collective, with a shared agenda, to create works of notoriety to alert the masses (voters/new flock) of your benefit to mankind. Seeing as NO system of gub’ has any validity unless it serves the greater good (or claims to).

I’m still ignorant about technocracy. Perhaps, I will always be this way.

I am lazy. I have little time to investigate. I’m a young twenty something who will actually consider listening if there is any validity, or fresh ideas. I work, I read, I do human things and believe there is clear imperfection in the worlds leader. I am not likely to come to you.

World is full of me

My guess was that a party/platform/whatever has ideals that need to get out there fast and furious (stupid, stupid movie btw). Getting people talking will never hurt.

Ideas are a hot commodity these days, because even when they are hideously stupid…some bunch of assholes will listen (or fall in line). If your idea is worthy, let it shine in a production for non-egg heads. Most people are too slow or too uninteresting to properly examine their vote receptacle.

“This is what can come of human efforts - as we see it.”

Yes, I see you have that board game. What else is associated with technocracy (or am I just in the dark )?

PS I did catch that bit that says technocracy sees itself as being more malleable with other political systems. Is Fascism one of them? I’m…let’s say…connected.
By Mickey_Spillane
Ok, thanks for the response. I see my wording and/or understanding may have been inaccurate.

I’ll try to investigate this technocracy thing a little more.
By Tangerine
Don't feel disheartened: compared to Kolzene, I think we all need to spend a little more time investigating Technocracy. ;)
By 00X
Here's an action game that had educational value: Medal of Honor Pacific Assault. There is an option in the game that makes little bubbles of WW2 realted tidbits pop up at the top of the screen. It might include a figure on how many Jap troops were stationed on a particular island or some features of the Corsair plane you are flying. I had fun reading them even while I was getting shot at!

Although this isn't a game, I thought I'd include it anyway. GoogleEarth is a really fun program to just fly around in and zoom in on places you want to see in nice detail. I learned alot about European and Middle-Eastern architecture by looking at cities up close.

It would be great if we could all learn something useful sitting around playing Halo for hours.
By Cato
Most of my youth was spent with a controller and a TV. Wasted time? Perhaps, but, then again, I am a hedonist and never like to say no (hence why I steer clear of drugs...most of the time). So, it could be said that I am a first generation gamer.

I really do not like when people say they have been wasting (although you said 'perhaps') their time on f.e videogames. I am of the belief that one should spend time on what one wants to spend time on. Apparently you wanted to play videogames during your earlier days, and you most likely had a fun time doing it, so why the hell would it be wasted time? Life is supposed to be fun, is it not? Just because one person did what he wanted to his entire life and it did not seem serious to the society which he lived in, does not make his life wasted. That is just bull----.

And it was also debunked.

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

will putin´s closest buddy Gennady Timchenko be […]

https://youtu.be/URGhMw1u7MM?si=YzcCHXcH9e-US9mv […]

Xi Jinping: "vladimir, bend down even lower, […]