The military - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

The solving of mankind’s problems and abolition of government via technological solutions alone.

Moderator: Kolzene

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By MB.
This is a subject I have not read much about with regard to technocracy. What would a modern technocratic military look like?
By Douglas
Not much different to be honest. I guess it helps to chart military technology.

First we hit people with blunt objects.
Then we cut people with sharper objects
Then we fired bits of metal at them.
Then we made things explode.

We've been doing the last two for quite some time now and the basic principle remains. In a world where we have super-computers, lasers and enough information in the air to make your head explode like in scanners, we're still doing what we were doing hundreds of years ago. Sure they may fire those bits of metal at a faster rate and more accurately but..... it ain't exactly a leap forward compared to the rest of stuff we have.

Simple reason for this, it works really really well. We could do it with DEWs and the like but why bother? The aim of the game is to make killing people as easy as possible and what we have right now is pretty damn good at that.

So our small arms at least remain the same.

And the rest...... well what else is there? At one stage when the oil runs out I suppose tanks will need to be battery powered or something but there isn't going to be a new tank design any time soon. Tracks with a big gun on top isn't going to get much better

Well what about robots? Yes and no, wars will not be fought and won with robots. Countries don't surrender once you have destroyed all their robots, they will surrender when you start putting holes in actual flesh. So people will still have to die.

Technocracy isn't going to change the military a great deal.
By MB.
You've obliviously never read Clausewitz.

The aim of the game is to make killing people as easy as possible

Wrong. The goal and objective of any war is achieve a favorable political peace for the aggressors. Presumably a technate would only engage in defensive wars (hence why techates even have militaries).
By Douglas
The goal and objective of any war is achieve a favorable political peace for the aggressors.

And how are they going to do that? Probably by being better and killing people than their opponents.

Presumably a technate would only engage in defensive wars

Why?
By MB.
The North American Technate would be basically resource self-sustaining, and would thus have no initiative for invading other countries.
By MB.
And these reasons in a technate would be?
By Douglas
The prevention of genocide and the protection of other nations. No real reason for it to be isolationist.
By El Gilroy
A technate would very quickly become so tremendously wealthy and powerful, it would dominate the world no matter what. For lack of equal enemies, classic armies would then be replaced by something more similar to police forces.
Amirite?
By El Gilroy
Ummmmm...... why?

Because if it actually was organised in a technocratic manner, it's economy would operate with the lowest technologically possible amount of waste. I'd wager that might give it an edge over others.
By El Gilroy
Of course, once other nations see how well Technocracy works, and their citizens start demanding it themselves, technates may start popping up wherever possible, and eventually there will be no reason at all for war. At least that's the way I see it.

My thoughts exactly. What are the odds of groups splintering off and going against technocracy, though?
By El Gilroy
In my opinion, in the event of one successful technate all the world would be one sooner or later. What worries me then are (sub)cultures deciding to live outside the technocratic societies and - here comes the worry - going militant.
By Figlio di Moros
El Gilroy wrote:In my opinion, in the event of one successful technate all the world would be one sooner or later. What worries me then are (sub)cultures deciding to live outside the technocratic societies and - here comes the worry - going militant.

Why would that worry you? If a technocracy exists in the format it's described(although I'm not convinced it could), than there'd be little oppurtunity or desire for a subculture to leave the technate, and even less oppurtunity to perform militant operations against it.

Yes, It is illegal in the US if you do not declar[…]

Though you accuse many people ("leftists&quo[…]

Chimps are very strong too Ingliz. In terms of fo[…]

Look at this shit. This is inexcusable! >: htt[…]