Cyberocracy - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

The solving of mankind’s problems and abolition of government via technological solutions alone.

Moderator: Kolzene

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By MaverickWhig
May I ask you technocrats, what are your opinions of cyberocracy? I personally would perfer it to bureaucracy.
By MB.
Presumably a successful & functional technate would be a cyberocracy.
By MaverickWhig
What would be the political, economic, and social structure of a cyberocracy?
By MaverickWhig
The dictatorship of a computer huh?

Well I thought a cyberocracy was a form of government or an element of a government that rules by the effective use of information?

EDIT: couldn't PoFo be considered a cybercratic society?
By Wolfman
EDIT: couldn't PoFo be considered a cybercratic society?

If you don't mind the uninformed answering (mostly spitballing here), but all the admins would have to be bots in order for any website to be considered a cybercratic one.

On an unrelated note, this reminded of a somewhat funny event on another website. I was arguing with the site owner, who was a vement Jeffersonian-Libertarian. At a point I pointed out that as much as he loves the writings of Thomas Jefferson, he largely ignored them when he created his website. As much as he loves the idea of citizen controlled government, he created a plutocratic moderation system, since to be an admin you had to buy a subscrition to the website. I also pointed out how he was more likely to allow to take action on people who he disagreed with then the people he liked (case and point, I had action taken against me three times, while I was being openingly insulted by a another member)
By Wolfman
I don't suppose you could propose (say) 1 really good article that outlines how technocracy/Technocracy would work in a real world situation, along with cyberocracy/Cyberocracy (I'm geussing there is a similar division). From what I understand about Technocracy it seems to be basicly a form of Meritocracy based on having Industrial Experts run the country.
By MB.
From what I understand about Technocracy it seems to be basicly a form of Meritocracy based on having Industrial Experts run the country.

http://www.technocracy.ca/

good place to start.
By Figlio di Moros
Kolzene wrote:Like I said, cybercracy is not a well defined term since none have ever existed and thus it is purely hypothetical. However, the general consensus from the various places I have seen it defined is that the computer(s) has to make the decisions, as Wolfman said. Using it for any government that uses computers (or "effective use of information") seems a bit broad to me, since the term translates as "rule by computer". So like many other political terms (even technocracy) it really comes down to how you want to define it for a particular discussion. This is why I make a distinction between technocracy (rule by experts/scientists/skill) and Technocracy (the proposal made by Howard Scott and the Technical Alliance research group of the 1920s).

Kolzene, the term's Cyber-O-cracy, not cybercracy; it appears to be a play on words, cy-Beaurocracy, although I believe the definition also extends to using computers as a head-of-state. Either way, I wouldn't mind the first definition by any extent; cybeaurocracy would severely limit overhead in performing government operations, and lead to higher quality services, while freeing up labor. To which extent this should apply... I'd rather have man remain at the head of government, for now.
By Figlio di Moros
Kolzene wrote:That's interesting. However I've seen it spelled the other way many times. Being that no such societies yet exist, and that there is no central authority on which is the correct definition (that I am aware of), I guess that it comes down to popular usage. So until I see it nailed down, I'll consider either acceptable. I mean, you did know what I was talking about, right? And given the status of the word, I didn't try to correct anyone else when they spelled it differently.

Perhaps we can turn this confusion to our advantage, and use cyberocracy to describe "a form of government or an element of a government that rules by the effective use of information" as Wikipedia says, and cybercracy to describe a society run by computers. Two words, and two definitions. Seems to work well to me. :)

I can agree to that, although I would suggest amending the spelling to cybeaurocracy to clarify the definition of the former. The exact definitions could always be hashed out at a later time; your definitions work well for me right now.

So..... what were we discussing, again?

I understood it well enough to point out it inclu[…]

Forced conversion is not cultural assimilation in[…]

One doesn't need to assume anything, everyone unde[…]

Repetition, meditation, and labor

Automation and, to some extent, AI, supposedly lib[…]