Genetic Memory - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

The solving of mankind’s problems and abolition of government via technological solutions alone.

Moderator: Kolzene

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Cato
This seems dangerous to me. To control memory implantation at birth, and eugenics in the whole; birth control.
By Apollos
I don't believe it can be done.
By Comrade_canuck
I don't believe it can be done.

Why not all it would involve would be a technology that would tell what cells in the brain to fire nurons and store information, no different then throwing a floppy into your computer.
By Russkie
This idea can turn into a nazi ideology...

If you can engineer superior humans, ideologies will rise up wanting the iradication of old or out of date engineered people.
By Toynbee_Convector
I think genetic memory has to do more with how a certain animal reacts in a given situation. Not really how an animal can "remember" things.

So I don't think people would be able to create "smart" people with knowlege intact.

But I do understand that one could possibly create people who are more brave (lack of fear) or who has the ability to sense danger, etc.

The situation becomes problematic when this kind of techonology starts being used to create the "perfect soldier" who fears nothing.
By boko
I think genetic memory has to do more with how a certain animal reacts in a given situation. Not really how an animal can "remember" things.

I agree that the person alleging this so-called science exists is inventing their own meaning of what 'genetic memory' is - although i know as little so won't add any inventions.

But I will add this - in my view our normal computational mechanisms are going to 'evolve' (metaphorically, please) once that which a few people accurately term 'artificial intelligence' is in existence.

what i envisage is that the notion of self-learning mechanisms is where you should focus with regard to how technology will shape the future and possibly even 'regulate' it.

in the case of bodies and brains and indeed interfacing with the 'memory', 'mind' and 'imagination' - i would perceive this possibility to be still credible, until we learn anything which casts it out as impossible:

technology which can be developed at a near cellular-size level but with self-learning capabilities, networking capabilities and i/o capabilities could get inside us pretty deeply and in my humble opinion face off things like HIV and indeed cancer. as for going into the brain - there's no reason at all why not if you can get as far as the blood and less solid organs. perhaps in the end it would be the spine you interfaced by means of - maybe you'd be able to interfere most easily with signals there.

but it would ALL be dangerous - and so was cutting people open to find out what we now know ultimately about things like heart disease.

but ideas about genetics, cloning, and all that jazz is alien to me. just part of the crappy sci fi world. a.i. is about machines only, not biological matter. and its relation to medicine is the same relation that intel pentium processors and modems and keyboards and scanning systems currently have - tools of the trade, but nothing more than that. not part of the cure. just tools for achieving it.

does anyone here know of any online demos of the sorts of self-learning tools available today?
By consummate_vagrant
I really don't think "genetic memory" in the way you speak of it (like the "pre-born" in Herbert's Dune series) exists or can exist.
By Truthseeker
Maybe you can't add significant info to the genome but you could probably use technology to achieve a similar effect.

It might be possible to implant a chip containing information or linking to a database. Encyclopedia's for everyone, not to mention rapid education. The problem would arise with such a system of how it is decided what to put in such a store of information. The question of what is "true".
By Kuro Morfos
Perhapse. What would that be like? Imaging teaching everybody at birth the english & japanese language or something. That would be useful and at the same time handle some of our education problems.
By Decky
You couldn't give someone words to "call on" when needed. A spider can boild a wed without being taught it dosen't know what its doing though.

Ithink it would be a disabvatage to people personly. Were adaptable and can LEARN when needed. As we have no big claws or sharp teeth or tough scales that is our greatest asset.
By Galoredk
We all have genetic memory when born. You can ask yourself this question would you be able to learn anything if you knew absolutely nothing.

We are born knowing how to see, hear, smell, interpret, move out of danger, eat and so forth. Noone has to tach us these things.
By nilof
TBH, most of these things are what we would call "instincts" anyway. Now, how do you create instincts that can calculate the exact trajectory of an object that you see?

Oh wait, the subconscious already does this... subconsciously. :D

Anyway, while this can be done, it most probably won't be any kind of knowledge that one's ego can touch, making it quite useless IMHO.

I think a Palestinian state has to be demilitariz[…]

The bill proposed by Congress could easily be use[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Even in North America, the people defending the[…]

Yes, try meditating ALONE in nature since people […]