NHL 2011-2012 season - Page 9 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Sports, Hobbies and all things unrelated to Politics.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Brio
Everything was pretty far away from Benin/Niger, when I first picked a team at the age of nine. Furthermore, it wasn't my fault my team got moved to Denver, now was it?
By R_G
Sorry, still sounds like you're referring to the Nords and not the Jets.

So what is your opinion on the transfer of history once the Yotes go back to Canada??

Quebec City won't get the Nords history but it seems from all likely hood they don't care about the Jets history, even if Phoenix wins the Cup.
By Brio
R_G wrote:Sorry, still sounds like you're referring to the Nords and not the Jets.

I was referring to the Nords. I was a Nordiques fan and am now an Avalanche fan.

I've only lived in Winnipeg for two years...
By R_G
Brio wrote:I was referring to the Nords. I was a Nordiques fan and am now an Avalanche fan.

I've only lived in Winnipeg for two years...

That is indeed sad. I crunched the numbers for the last ten years in Quebec, attendance was often in the 90-95%.

I do hope you guys get the husky uniforms.
Brio wrote:Everything was pretty far away from Benin/Niger, when I first picked a team at the age of nine. Furthermore, it wasn't my fault my team got moved to Denver, now was it?

Well I picked the Eagles at the same age because my cousins were always rooting for them, and it made my dad cry when I rooted against him. Is it my fault they were 1000 miles away? NO!

So listen you hoity toity Canadian, don't think for one second I can't kidnap you and sell you to the CCC (That's Canadian Clux Clan) for prolonged torture with banjo music, stag beer, and women with three teeth or less!

Just watch your self *does that two fingers to the eye-one finger back at you... thing*

RG wrote:You guys realize it was the Nordiques that moved to Colorado yes?

yes, of course, we're just fucking with each other. Move along...

*gives Brio a stink eye*
By Brio
Demosthenes wrote:Well I picked the Eagles at the same age because my cousins were always rooting for them, and it made my dad cry when I rooted against him.

Your dad was a good person in trying to keep his son from becoming a degenerate Philly fan (I know degenerate and Philly fan is redundant). Alas, he sadly didn't succeed.

Actually, similarly to you, the reason I picked Quebec was the first time I saw a hockey game it was a VHS tape of a Maple Leafs and Nordiques game my Canadian born dorm-parent (I was in boarding school at the time) had gotten a friend of his to mail over to Niger. He was a huge Leaf fan and being the little punk that I was I cheered for the Nordiques to spite him.

Since this is the hockey thread, GO SENS!
By R_G
Funny story Dem, you know that I'm a Rams fan right? ( Must know, I had the Warner avatar for half a year )

It's the only Non-Detroit, Non-Canadian team I support.

The story is simple. Back in 1996 there was an influx of Packer fans north of the border, and I guess because of the era a lot of football fans in general, the Cowboys and 49ers were relevant meanwhile so were the Bills.

At that time I was a halfwit when it came to football so I followed the general rule, either root for the 2nd best team in the league ( so you can hold out a tad bit from being labeled a band-wagoner ) or pick the absolute worst team.

At that time, I only watched the NBA because of Jordan and had not sat through an entire baseball game yet.

So I went with the St. Louis Rams, it was around mid-season and they were like 1-8, they weren't THE worst team in the league but had been crap since the beginning of the 90s.

In 1998 because of the Vikings and my man-love for Randall Cunningham ( having watched several archive games on TV of him from the late 80s ) I started actually paying attention to football.

Then 1999 came and the rest is history.

Consequently 1999 was also the first year I started cheering for the Pistons.

Oh, why am I a Wings fan? I've said it many, many times. Did I mention I actually lived there for a time?

Why are you a Phily fan again Demo? Have you been to Phily?
By R_G
hip hop bunny hop wrote:I guess guidos are better are iceskating than cubans, :(

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You're in 2nd with me in the pick-em. :D
Why don't you bad mouth Ward again while you're at it Bunny? You know... "that colored guy"? :|

R_G wrote:Why are you a Phily fan again Demo? Have you been to Phily?

Several times. That's the thing, my uncle (my mother's brother) is a retired US Army Colonel who worked on helicopter design (Army Air Corp) under Dick Cheney when the latter was Bush Sr's Secretary of Defense (He was even stationed at the pentagon). When my uncle retired, he worked for Boeing in Philly, and his family lived in south Jersey. All his kids were Philly fans at the time (though now only one of them is). Anyway, when they would visit they were all "Philly, rah, rah" and such. Which always got under my dad's skin.

He was never a Rams fan. He was a die-hard Cardinals fan. Unfortunately he died in 1986, the year before they moved to Arizona. I have no idea how he would have dealt with that, nor whether or not he would have stuck with them in Arizona or embraced the Rams once they moved here. I honestly can't say.

At any rate, partly to honor the rivalry with my dad, Philly just stuck with me, though keep in mind this was the Eagles. I didn't become a Flyer's fan, or Hockey fan until I started playing NHL '92 on Sega Genesis. The first final I watched was the Canadians-Kings series in '93. After playing the game extensively and learning the rules, I realized it was the greatest sport in North America sans American Football, and at times its even better than that. Naturally, not wanting to be a total cheese ball I stuck with Philly and the Flyers when I figured it was time to pick a team. I was already a Phillies fan by then, but I've never been a big baseball fan. I don't like basketball at all.

I'll never forget playing that damn game with Mark Recci, Pelle Ekland, and that horrible goalie Tommy Soderstrom. It was soooo damn hard! Then the following year they added Lindros and Renberg, and traded for John LeClair and Rico Desjardins, plus got Hextall back! That made the game fun finally, and I was off to the races!

GO FLYERS! DEATH TO THE DEVILS!
By R_G
Demosthenes wrote:Several times. That's the thing, my uncle (my mother's brother) is a retired US Army Colonel who worked on helicopter design (Army Air Corp) under Dick Cheney when the latter was Bush Sr's Secretary of Defense (He was even stationed at the pentagon). When my uncle retired, he worked for Boeing in Philly, and his family lived in south Jersey. All his kids were Philly fans at the time (though now only one of them is). Anyway, when they would visit they were all "Philly, rah, rah" and such. Which always got under my dad's skin.

He was never a Rams fan. He was a die-hard Cardinals fan. Unfortunately he died in 1986, the year before they moved to Arizona. I have no idea how he would have dealt with that, nor whether or not he would have stuck with them in Arizona or embraced the Rams once they moved here. I honestly can't say.

Jesus I can't tell you how often I keep forgetting the Cards were in St. Louis. It's one of those facts that answers the question of why the team remained after so many losing seasons, because Phoenix didn't suffer too greatly before the miracle in 98.

Anywho, that's a nice story. Clears up a lot. Too bad you're not a lacrosse fan, or rather was because the Philadelphia Wings were a powerhouse for about two decades until this decade. Though they'll be in the palyoffs this season due to the joke of a format.

At any rate, partly to honor the rivalry with my dad, Philly just stuck with me, though keep in mind this was the Eagles. I didn't become a Flyer's fan, or Hockey fan until I started playing NHL '92 on Sega Genesis. The first final I watched was the Canadians-Kings series in '93. After playing the game extensively and learning the rules, I realized it was the greatest sport in North America sans American Football, and at times its even better than that. Naturally, not wanting to be a total cheese ball I stuck with Philly and the Flyers when I figured it was time to pick a team. I was already a Phillies fan by then, but I've never been a big baseball fan. I don't like basketball at all.

I'll never forget playing that damn game with Mark Recci, Pelle Ekland, and that horrible goalie Tommy Soderstrom. It was soooo damn hard! Then the following year they added Lindros and Renberg, and traded for John LeClair and Rico Desjardins, plus got Hextall back! That made the game fun finally, and I was off to the races!

Few things in this world can make flip a switch between borderline hatred and embrace of an individual.

This is one of those few things.

This was the first sports video game I ever played. My step dad bought me all the video games and introduced me to hockey and all the other sports. He's dead now too ( my real dad is a fucking dipshit who might as well be dead with his goddamn family back in East Europe ).
Demosthenes wrote:Why don't you bad mouth Ward again while you're at it Bunny? You know... "that colored guy"? :|

When did I ever bad mouth him? I referred to the only negro on the ice as: the negro. Out of all the ways to describe Ward in that playoff situation, I simply chose the most distinct and obvious.

Really, as time goes on, you keep building it into more than it was.
By Brio
Demosthenes wrote:It was soooo damn hard!

Heh, I played NHL 95 so extensively that I would play the Ottawa Senators (the worst team in the game), pull the goalie as soon as the game started and still win most games.

Your old-man reflexes are showing.... :D
By R_G
Brio wrote:Heh, I played NHL 95 so extensively that I would play the Ottawa Senators (the worst team in the game), pull the goalie as soon as the game started and still win most games.

Your old-man reflexes are showing.... :D

NHL 95 added a lot of great features, however there were some obvious glitches as well.

Wrap-arounds would work 90% of the time (back-hand) and slapshots from one of the corners of the blue line were about 60-70% effective.
By R_G
I remember when playing against an opponent, I would always use manual goaltender. Most would stick with the automatic.

So, if I was ever in trouble, like down a goal or two late, I'd use the wrap-around shot and always get back into it.

Thus later on we had "no-wraparounds" rule. :lol:
That's not fair, I never had anyone to play against. :hmm:

hip hop bunny hop wrote:When did I ever bad mouth him? I referred to the only negro on the ice as: the negro.

Yeah, that's kinda bad mouthin in every book but yours. I wasn't the first to comment either.

hip hop bunny hop wrote:Out of all the ways to describe Ward in that playoff situation, I simply chose the most distinct and obvious.

No, you chose the laziest and the one that pushes your political agenda. It's unnecessary in every way. You could have even said "black guy" and it would have been at least better.

hip hop bunny hop wrote:Really, as time goes on, you keep building it into more than it was.

As time goes on you continually throw it up in our faces with Guido this, colored that, and all your other racial bullshit. If you don't want to be called out on it, STFU about all of it. They're hockey players, that's it. You wanna insult cities, they are all fair game, but don't be an asshole about race in here. It takes the fun out of it. :hmm:

Full terrorism. Three arrested in Poland for the s[…]

It's a good thing I've posted plenty of evidence[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The best option! + We avoid nuclear winter even t[…]

Quiz for 'educated' historians

Patton got himself killed like Hitler killed hims[…]