NFL playoffs: 2004 Season - Page 9 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Sports, Hobbies and all things unrelated to Politics.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Demosthenes
AMEN!!!

btw- I want that sig!
By briansmith
I don't know if they have changed his injury listing yet to upgrade him from questionable, but Owens ran and cut for 30 minutes at the practice complex. He said he experienced no pain, so it looks like it's pretty much a sure thing that he will play. My understanding is that he will be the #3 receiver and will play primarily situational duty, about 20-40 plays.
By Flopflipper
If owens doesn't play, he is going to be foul mouthing the trainers and doctors for not letting him play in the super bowl. But I also have to say, some of the recuprative abilites of professional athletes is amazing.

They are probly going to play mind games and make him a game time decision.
By briansmith
It looks a heck of a lot like he's going to play, Flopflipper. He might even start at this rate, he's been running and cutting at full playing speed. I wouldn't risk it personally, and I think Reid is too conservative a coach (WOO-HOO!) to put him in a situation where he could hurt himself worse or be hurt worse. Remember: Rodney Harrison is the dirtiest player in the NFL, and he's on the Patriots. He's liable to line up against Owens several times in the Super Bowl, and I know that he will try to aim for that leg and ankle.

It's a pretty big risk they're taking if they play him, but I think they're prepared to deal with the consequences.
By Khenlein
Demos and his Igles (and Moss as well) have convinced me that Owens, or any WR, has only so much impact on a game. And that the Igles can play Championship calibre (at least at a Conference level) football without him.

I am, actually, not really concerned whether he plays or not. One looks at what a completely healthy Marvin Harrison accomplished against our banged up secondary, and the impact a 50% Owens would have seems negligible.

Though, were I a Philadelphia fan, I would want him in.
-Did you all see the "electoral" map on Sportscenter where the whole country thought Owens should play, (colored blue), and 5 of the 6 states that said he shouldn't were in RED New England. :lol:

As to Jim Rome, the guy does seem kinda douchey. His Radio show is entertaining, for a few segments, but its not long before I turn the dial to Limbaugh or Franken.
By Comrade Ogilvy
If Owens plays I think his play will be marginal at best. The Pats will focus on making Westbrook a nonfactor, meaning Freddie Mitchell will have to come up big again, either that or teach Pikabo Pinkston on how to play football like a grown man, if they plan on being in the game by the end of the 3rd quarter. But at any rate, the Hatetriots are a way too balanced, disciplined, and experienced team for the Eagles.

The only scenario I can see the eagles pulling this one out is if their superior D-line can play to their full potential, and rattle and pressure Brady into making a few bad mistakes, but he hasnt thrown a post season INT in 4 years, if my sources serve me correctly.

Im still pissed that TO is now an eagle and making me root against Donovan McNabb and his Eagles. If he plays, he will be gone after, and most likely demolished by Rodney and Co.
By Khenlein
*Waits patiently for a 3000 word DEMOS post on the upcoming game*
By Demosthenes
*Waits patiently for a 3000 word DEMOS post on the upcoming game*

[Apu] What is being implied here?[/Apu]

You asked for it.

Really this game is no different than any of the other playoff games. The principle is the same. The Partriots are the team to beat.

...And their strength is in...well...not really having any one strength. They are Jacks-of-all-trades, and good at all of them. It's an impressively built team and deserves a whole lotta respect.

Even Tom Brady whom everyone is ready to annoit as the next Joe Montana is the same way. Just as Joe was. He doesn't have the strongest arm, the quickest release, nor is he the most athletic QB on the field, but he is a great QB. Anyone who says otherwise doesn' t know what they are talking about.

For those out there hating Freddie Mitchell right now, HE WAS JUST KIDDING!!! I mean, thanking his hands after the last game??? That's just pathetically funny...I still can't stop laughing...Freddie is just misunderstood... :lol: :lol: :lol: I think he knows Rodney Harrison is not to be messed with. But seriously...Freddie just shut up and catch every ball you get your little paws on...

ah well...nuts and bolts.

The Patriots Offensive line is good, but not great, although the interior line is as good as anybody could want. As someone mentioned above the Eagles have a chance to really put some pressure on them, particularly if they are able to successfully rush from the outside, but then of course you risk Brady burning you with the long ball, or draw plays to Dillion p the gut.

His no-name receiving corp is similar to Philly's in recognition with one stark difference...they tend to be better at making clutch plays, at least at this point in the season.

At RB, I call it a wash. Corey Dillion is far and away the better pure runner but Westbrook is the better all-around threat. I suspect their total yards will be similar unless one team just blows it...(which isn't as likely to be New England, as it would be Philly...sadly... :*( )

The Eagles Offensive Line is excellent at pulling and setting up screens. It'll be interesting to see whether the Patriots superb linebacking corp can deal with it, if that is, the Eagles use the screen like they normally do.

It is possible they'll gameplan away from it due TO the Partriots linebacking strength, but IMO this would be foolish. As the Patriots try to take away one of their opponents strengths, so too should the opponent do this to them. Find a way to neutralize teddy Bruschi and crew, and you open up the tight ends, the screens I mentioned and Mr. Sulton of the Slot himself.

I say "should" because the real question is not knowing what to do, but actually being able to do it.

The Eagles Secondary is obvouisly better than the Patriots patch-work-but-adequate secondary, but I'm not sure how big an advantage that really is. Giving up a lotta yards to the Patriots (the like the Eagel's secondary is prone to do, despite three pro-bowl players) is not a good idea, and unlike most teams, the Patriots rarely self-destruct in the Red Zone. you have to stop the Patriots before they get to your 30-35 yard line of AV will slice you to pieces with FGs. That is...if they don't actually score from there.

While all the Hype is T.O. this and T.O. that, I'm not really sure how big a deal it is either way. I mean obviously getting your most reliable receiver back, even at 80% or whatever, is a BIG deal, but I think more of the offense hangs on Donovan MccNabb's not choking than anything else. I don't think he will either...but you never know...

Also all this bullshit about T.O. causing problems is such a pile of mularky. If Brady were in the same situation the morons in the media would be calling him the ultimate Super Bowl hero for trying to play, and "oh man does he have grit, and what a great leader...blah, blah, blah...last time I checked (earlier today) T.O. hadn't said a word about anytihng either way. It was THE MEDIA who were babbling endless scenarios to their hearts content. Oh well, I guees they have to find some way to keep their jobs... :knife:

That said, unsung tight end L. J. Smith (and newly re-aquired construction worker-turned-TE Jeff Thomasson) will need to be at their most reliable. As will developing receiver Greg Lewis. ( A no-name in the mold of the Patriots receivers) I have no faith in Todd Pinkston so I won't comment on him. Lastly the Sulton of the Slot, The People's Champion, et. al. will need to be clutch whether T.O. plays or not. Whether it's 2 catches for 2 criticle first downs, or 8 catches for 150 yards and 2 tds. Freddie has to be Freddie at his best. Anythinig short of this and the Patriots will maul Westbrook, and we'll be in for a long, long game...

As far as the kicking game, and special teams I'd say that normally the Patriots have an advantage on anyone they play, this time I'd say it's very slight. Green Akers (do do ta do do, do do!) is a match for Vinitieri (sp?). And the punt, kick, and return teams are all very good for both teams.

Lastly, and only a minor point. New England has only won their last two Super Bowls on tenacity. Both by a field goal, those aren't the massive blow-outs the 49ers and Cowboys used to have. While it's foolish to overlook just how good that is, it is equally foolish to call their game comepletely dominating. One missed FG, and either of those Super Bowls has a different outcome. You can't say the same for many of the Cowboys-49ers games.

Players to Watch:

Eagles:

Lito Sheppard. Due for a big interception return.
Jevon Kearse: The Freak is due to get REALLY freaky...ala Reggie White.
Jeremiah Trotter: Has a vendetta against Dillion, and has vowed to personally stop him all day...hmmm...we'll see...
J.R. Reed:Who??? Well if my hunch pays off you won't ask this after the game...if not I'll just look dumber... :?:

Patriots:
Teddy Bruschi: Possibly the best AFC Middle backer' besides Ray Lewis. His presence limits the Eagles tight ends and up the gut runs. His range limits the ability to make screens work.
Corey Dillion: can he run effectively against a seemingly rejuvenated Eagles run defense??? He could have a great game.
Pats collective WRs and DBs: The no-names make people wish they knew their names...They torched Indy and Pittsburgh. Is Philly gonna turn into just another speed bump?

"So, Demo just get on with it, what the prognostication???"

Well, I'm going to put my one loss play-off predictions on the line and be a home boy. I mean, c'mon you can't possibly expect me to pick against the Eagles in the Super Bowl can you??? Yes, I know THIS time I'm the one making the emotional pick, and I may feel like an ass if we get blown out or something. But I'm going Philly 50.51/50.49. Simply becuase I think they've got a little thing called "MO" that trumps everything else. Momentum that is...Somethign the Patriots have enjoyed while winning their last two Super Bowls.

Not quite 3k, but close enough for gubment work I suppose.
Last edited by Demosthenes on 31 Jan 2005 00:01, edited 1 time in total.
By briansmith
50.51/50.49

101%! Rock on!

New England: The dynasty that never was.

My pick: Philadelphia over New England, 21-20.
By briansmith
Don't take it personally, Khenlein. I just think the Patriots are going to go into this game expecting to cruise, and they're going to get beat. The Miami game and the Pittsburgh game in the regular season will be the blueprints for a squeaker of a Philadelphia victory.
By Demosthenes
Nice to have you where you beling Tsaler! :up:

1. Win Super Bowl: eh...working on it...
2. Save Hockey Season so Flyers can win Stanley Cup like they should ahve done last year: Outlook...rather bad...
3. Phillies beat Atlanta for NL east crown...Don;t hold your breath...

oh my...the Eagles are all I got this year... :(
By uglygoat
i became a phillies fan when they got jim thome... i remember his rookie season ages ago with the indians when they sucked and lost like one hundred games? he's a total class player. do they still have him?

i dont' think belicheck will let his team get cocky. i think the teams are so evenly matched it comes down to coaching again. and belicheck is the best there is right now.
By briansmith
Yes, t1master, Thome is still on the Phillies.

I can't wait, I'm going to as many Phillies games as possible this year. I love the Phillies, and the food at that ballpark is tremendous. Heck, the ballpark itself is absolutely awesome. I went to the very first game played there, it was an exhibition game against the Indians. Sat in section 114 I believe. Very very nice.
By Goranhammer
Pats 31 - Philly 13

Even if they have Owens as 100% in the game, chances are that they'll still lose. Pats have one of the best, if not the best secondary in the game, along with a solid core of linebackers. McNabb's going to be pressed for spots to throw. And Philly sure can't win it with their running game. Most teams (exception being Pittsburgh) that use a "run by committee" plan are just saying that all their RB's are shit.

Reid will have to blitz about 2/3 of their plays or Brady is going to just go nuts in the backfield. If Brady had a weakness, it's that he hasn't developed play action yet. Last year, play action for him would have been a laughing stock, but he has a running back now. With practice, he could go from being great to just plain deadly.

I imagine most of Philly's scoring will be done on long plays (30+ yards from scrimmage), or off the foot of Akers. However, I doubt the Eagles will be lighting up the scoreboard.

New England is coming in here with more momentum. They held the #1 offense in the league this year and the 5th highest overall scoring offense in NFL history to 3 points. And by doing so, I hope he dispelled alot of the aura that Manning seems to have around him, alot of it undeserved. I'd look like a fuckin superstar too if I had that wide out core to throw to.

Philly has improved tremendously this year. Superstar wide receiver, a monster behind the line with Kearse. But like Ric Flair said, "To be the man, you got to beat the man." And quite simply, right now Brady is the man. And he has a former Bengal in his backfield to improve his team.

All in all, Philly's game will be "full of sound and fury, signifying nothing".
By briansmith
Pats 31 - Philly 13

Even if they have Owens as 100% in the game, chances are that they'll still lose. Pats have one of the best, if not the best secondary in the game, along with a solid core of linebackers.

Linebackers, maybe. Secondary, no. Eugene Wilson plays free safety, but he's a cornerback by trade. Rodney Harrison is a good strong safety who hits hard, Randall Gay is decent, Asante Samuel is pretty good, and Troy Brown is a wide receiver. It is a patchwork situation that is vastly improved by the play of the front 7. I wouldn't give that secondary too much credit, personally. The defense as a whole, yes.

McNabb's going to be pressed for spots to throw. And Philly sure can't win it with their running game. Most teams (exception being Pittsburgh) that use a "run by committee" plan are just saying that all their RB's are shit.

Philadelphia does not use RB by committee. Brian Westbrook is the sole starter, lining up at times at wide receiver even. Dorsey Levens is used to spell him much like Kevin Faulk is used to spell Corey Dillon. Would it be fair to say that New England uses RB by committee then? Not at all.

Reid will have to blitz about 2/3 of their plays or Brady is going to just go nuts in the backfield.

Jim Johnson, the Eagles' defensive coordinator, already blitzes perhaps even more than 2/3rds of the time. This should be no problem for the Eagles to do, even if you are right. Brandon Gorin, the Patriots' RT, will have his hands full with Jevon Kearse all day long.

If Brady had a weakness, it's that he hasn't developed play action yet. Last year, play action for him would have been a laughing stock, but he has a running back now. With practice, he could go from being great to just plain deadly.

And he makes Favre-like throws because he thinks he's invincible. Both Brady and Favre are liable to throw blind passes while being pressured and dragged to the ground. Ask the Dolphins about whether or not pressure causes Brady to make stupid throws. They showed everyone on Monday Night Football that it's possible to beat the Patriots even if you aren't as good of a team on paper.

I imagine most of Philly's scoring will be done on long plays (30+ yards from scrimmage), or off the foot of Akers. However, I doubt the Eagles will be lighting up the scoreboard.

There's no reason to light up the scoreboard. The Patriots have played the past few games by trying to take up as much of the clock as possible. They target 35-40 minutes per game. If the Patriots use up that much of the clock in the Super Bowl, they'll beat the Eagles no doubt. The only way for the Eagles to prevent the Patriots from using up the clock is to play stingy defense, but more importantly to manage the clock well themselves. That means heavy doses, in my opinion, of Dorsey Levens. Westbrook is better bouncing to the outside, but Levens can run it between the tackles. He can eat up the clock very well.

New England is coming in here with more momentum. They held the #1 offense in the league this year and the 5th highest overall scoring offense in NFL history to 3 points. And by doing so, I hope he dispelled alot of the aura that Manning seems to have around him, alot of it undeserved. I'd look like a fuckin superstar too if I had that wide out core to throw to.

I'm not touching that comment about Manning. What I will say is that I don't think any team has more momentum than the Eagles, a team that hasn't been to a Super Bowl in 24 years. If Freddie Mitchell had just shut up and not run his mouth, the Patriots would have come into the game less motivated than the Eagles. Since Mitchell gave the Patriots bulletin board material, the momentum has slowed for the Eagles and increased for the Patriots.

Philly has improved tremendously this year. Superstar wide receiver, a monster behind the line with Kearse. But like Ric Flair said, "To be the man, you got to beat the man." And quite simply, right now Brady is the man. And he has a former Bengal in his backfield to improve his team.

Brady is confident he's the man too. That's why he's liable to make dumb mistakes, just like Brett Favre does. Both can be beaten, and they have been beaten.

We'll see. 8)
By Demosthenes
Goran your assessment is full of holes...even though, admittedly Im being a home boy.

Tsaler said:
Linebackers, maybe. Secondary, no. Eugene Wilson plays free safety, but he's a cornerback by trade. Rodney Harrison is a good strong safety who hits hard, Randall Gay is decent, Asante Samuel is pretty good, and Troy Brown is a wide receiver. It is a patchwork situation that is vastly improved by the play of the front 7. I wouldn't give that secondary too much credit, personally. The defence as a whole, yes.

Agreed. It's a patchwork secondary that thrives on the play of the front 7, who are admittedly some of the best in the game. Now, I'm not dogging the secondary here either...I'm just saying they are not the strength of this defense. Getting Richard Seymore back was as big for the Patties as Philly getting back Owens.

Philadelphia does not use RB by committee. Brian Westbrook is the sole starter, lining up at times at wide receiver even. Dorsey Levens is used to spell him much like Kevin Faulk is used to spell Corey Dillon. Would it be fair to say that New England uses RB by committee then? Not at all.

Agreed, this was not a well thought out comment. Someone is stuck in last year...and it ain't Tsaler...

Jim Johnson, the Eagles' defensive coordinator, already blitzes perhaps even more than 2/3rds of the time. This should be no problem for the Eagles to do, even if you are right. Brandon Gorin, the Patriots' RT, will have his hands full with Jevon Kearse all day long.

Agreed, and that's if they don't pull a "Bruschi" with MR. Freakboy.

And he makes Favre-like throws because he thinks he's invincible. Both Brady and Favre are liable to throw blind passes while being pressured and dragged to the ground. Ask the Dolphins about whether or not pressure causes Brady to make stupid throws. They showed everyone on Monday Night Football that it's possible to beat the Patriots even if you aren't as good of a team on paper.

Agreed, totally.

There's no reason to light up the scoreboard. The Patriots have played the past few games by trying to take up as much of the clock as possible. They target 35-40 minutes per game. If the Patriots use up that much of the clock in the Super Bowl, they'll beat the Eagles no doubt. The only way for the Eagles to prevent the Patriots from using up the clock is to play stingy defence, but more importantly to manage the clock well themselves. That means heavy doses, in my opinion, of Dorsey Levens. Westbrook is better bouncing to the outside, but Levens can run it between the tackles. He can eat up the clock very well.

Agreed again, on most every point, including the Levans analogy. Though it would work wonders if Philly could pull off a quick score right off the bat. Of course this won't phase New England like it does some teams, but it would still make a statement...by the same token if NE does that, it'll be interesting to see how McNabb and Co. react.

I'm not touching that comment about Manning. What I will say is that I don't think any team has more momentum than the Eagles, a team that hasn't been to a Super Bowl in 24 years. If Freddie Mitchell had just shut up and not run his mouth, the Patriots would have come into the game less motivated than the Eagles. Since Mitchell gave the Patriots bulletin board material, the momentum has slowed for the Eagles and increased for the Patriots.

That was still 50% media BS and 50% Freddie Mitchell BS. But yeah, Freddie just shut the heck up and catch the ball. That stuff about manning is somewhat unfair as the colts are yet to play with a true "Dungy defense" Peyton can't do it with just one side of the ball. The Pats shut them down because they have Indy's number. Anyone who's watched football long enough, knows sometimes teams just have a "whammy" on other teams. Dallas did it to us for a long time, then the Gants did, then we switched again. For now I'm not sure Indy could beat them using Pittsburgh's defense.

Brady is confident he's the man too. That's why he's liable to make dumb mistakes, just like Brett Favre does. Both can be beaten, and they have been beaten.

I'm not sure he's quite as rattleable as Favre seems to be now, but I agree here too, the Patriots are not invincible at all, neither is Brady. They are "good enough to win" no more, no less. As a team they are sort of like a talented Trent Dilfer, though Brady is showing he's more than that now.

If Philly wins, or just doesn't absolutely flop, I'll remind you of this after the game Mr. Hammer. If not you'll 8 months to say "I told you so".

I really have the sense that this game is going to be like the 2000 NFC championship game against the Rams: Patriots come in favored, and Do play well, but ultimately it's Philly's to lose. Hopefully this time McNabb won't throw the pick to the Patriots version of Aneas Williams as they are driving to win the game though.

I don't like predicting scores...I feel like I'm gonna hex my guys if I do. I'll just say (again) I think it's going to be real close, and that I think Philly can win it. ;)
By Goranhammer
I'm assuming the secondary will be a bit more healthy once kickoff comes. Sometimes I forget my man Ty Law is not Superman. I love the Patriots mainly because of Law and Brady. If you want to know why, let's just say Brady, Law, and myself all have something in common. It wouldn't take long to figure out what.

And yeah, I guess RB by committee was more prominent last year, but Westbrook is still in less than half the plays I believe, which makes me think RB by committee is still happening.

Brady CAN be rattled, sure. Any quarterback can. But I think Atlanta would have had a better chance to beat them because Philly simply cannot put pressure on them to the degree that Atlanta could. Like I said before, if Brady had taken this year to master play action, he could eat Philly's defense alive. Unfortunately, we'll have to see how he does vs. conventional methods.

Everyone can be biased in guessing the strengths, weaknesses, and possible outcomes of a football game. It's not much different than politics. I love New England, so I think they'll win, and not with too much difficulty. You're both Philly fans (not sure why YOU are, Demo...aren't you from Missouri? :D ), so you'll be the first to notice the Pats' pinpoint flaws and accentuate all of Philly's good spots.

Just like on Hannity and Colmes I say, "You have your opinions. I have mine. Debating is what makes this country great".

But bad news for you. I've been wearing my lucky Pats hat for weeks now, and I'll be wearing my Brady jersey at the SB party I'll be at. Luck will bring it home for my boys.

Roar.
By briansmith
You do know that Ty Law is on injured reserve, right?

Westbrook started 12 games this season. He averages about 14 carries per game in his starts. He had 70 receptions in those starts as well, which is about 6 per game. So Westbrook has about 20 touches per game when he starts.

Westbrook's backup, Dorsey Levens, played in but did not start 10 games this season. In those games, he had 39 carries. That's averaging about 4 per game. He averages about one reception per two games he plays and does not start. That's, being generous, 5 touches per game.

So you tell me, is 20-5 (80%) in touches "RB by committee"?

That refers to a different thing - ‘Mitochondrial[…]

America gives disproportionate power to 20% of th[…]

World War II Day by Day

Yes, we can thank this period in Britain--and Orw[…]

This is a story about a woman who was denied adequ[…]