American sports - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Sports, Hobbies and all things unrelated to Politics.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Blake
That was a poor excuse for a reply...

You would know :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
JT you are not an idiot. Everything that ever comes out of the tips of your non idiotic fingers is the epitome of idocy though. Good job! :up:
By Comrade Ogilvy
And that reply was the epitome of boooooring... and predictable. Even from YOU bleh.

My moma played baseball for the yankees AND in international play so.... :roll: :roll: :knife:
By Attila The Nun
It's just a term to make it more grandiose. I actually wouldn't mind seeing some foriegn teams play. Possibly in the National League?
By Todd D.
Some foreign teams like the Toronto Blue Jays, the former Montreal/Puerto Rico Expos?

I don't mind the term "World Series" because as JT said, the best in the world play in the Major Leagues of both Baseball and Basketball, hence it is "international" even if the teams themselves are not.
By bradley
could teams not based in the USA actually play in the world series?
By Todd D.
You have to be a part of Major League Baseball to be in the running for the World Series.
By bradley
simple yes/no would do, given i don't know what the entrance requirements for the Major League is.
By Todd D.
For all intents and purposes: No.
By Clann
American sport is all about money. As I understand it, teams are not linked to any city and they can move their franchise elsewhere. That is ridiculous.
By Sid
Well, none of the Americans know that the first "World Series" was sponsored by a newspaper. A newspaper called "The World." Hence "World Series." Nothing to do with being international at all.
By Comrade Ogilvy
Europeans should stop pretending like they know more about americas pastime than americans??

Sids theory is bunk... stop believing urban legends... :roll:
By uglygoat
they talk about putting a team in cuba and in puerto rico... that would be nice.

i wouldn't mind seeing some interleague games with the japanese and us teams, if ichiro is any indication of the talent in japan... ye gods man!!!

but it's part of us being umerikans... we want you all to know it, and you all love to hate and pick on us for hearing about it all the time... tis like sibling rivalries.
By briansmith
San Juan, Puerto Rico, will probably get a baseball team within the next few years. Either the Oakland Athletics or the Florida Marlins will move to San Juan, Puerto Rico; Monterrey, Mexico; or Las Vegas, Nevada. That's my prediction.
By Thoss
I remember when the CFL had an expansion program to the US. What a joke. Baltimore Colts, Sancremento Gold Miners, Shreveport Pirates, Memphis Mad Dogs, Las Vagas...something and another team I can't remember...It was short and sweet, but ultimately stupid much like the XFL and AFL...*shudder*

Baltimore was actually the first Non-Canadian team to win the Grey Cup.
By Comrade Ogilvy
The AFL is now part of the NFL, you know.

Also, while Canadian football DOES suck, I do think CFL rules are superior to NFL rules.
By Sid
OK, I withdraw my theory (I googled the words "baseball, origins, name" witht the phrase "World Series", the first link was a fairly convincing debunking, should have done last night but I wanted to go to bed). I'm fairly sure I heard it on BBC Radio 4 which is normaly fairly reliable, so please excuse me.

So it is entirely American arrogance that it's called the World Series.

Interesting that JT still refers to baseball as "America's Pastime" when American Football is more popular(?) Or is it only more popular in terms if TV viewing figures. Rather like we call cricket "The Summer Game" when (unfortunately) hardly anyone plays it.

...I believe that you are capable of arguing in g[…]

The claim isn't "unsupported", I've alre[…]

The whole college bubble is popping, and it's lef[…]

'State of panic' as Putin realises he cannot wi[…]