Teh US vs Europe Flame thread (involves Football) - Page 5 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Sports, Hobbies and all things unrelated to Politics.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Spin
But do they send teams with a chance of victory?
By Spin
Wow, so two nations actually stand a chance of victory, which shows where American football is mainly played.
By Comrade Ogilvy
?? We were talking baseball.

And i've never disputed where the bulk of football is played. Of course its N. America.
By Spin
Fuck didn't realise

Sports created by Brits > US sports
By era o divertimento
Yes, he first played for England in 2003 - the youngest ever player (17 years 111 days). He can be a bit of a thug, but he has got genuine ability.

Yeah, I saw him get carded against Arsenal and he was lucky the official had thick skin and realized he was young or else he would have been run for bitching.

He is definitely a player to watch, however. Natural field awareness and all that.

What are the odds your side will keep Beckham off the team in 06? The golden leg is swell and all, but the "give-the-ball-away-and-chase-the-guy down-and-foul-him" routine is a little old.
By bradley
graham poll (the ref that night) bent the rules, but did so very well. Rooney should had been sent off, but clearly got a spanking over half time, so played cool and collected in the second. good refereeing, if overly lenient according to the rulebook.

shame, arsenal lost that night.
By TROI
And talk to me about NFL ONLY being appreciated in the US when there no longer exists an NFL Europe. OK??

I actually had no idea that it existed... and am slightly embarrassed.

Who watches or plays sport to have their 'mind blown by the strategy'? If I wanted that to happen I would play chess. Rugby = fun to play.
By Comrade Ogilvy
I never stated the intricate strategies was what drew people to football or made it fun to watch. Its just that those who know nothing about it dismiss it as a game of dull brutes. Which it is not. Football is played as much off the field as it is on the field. Its is the ultimate team sport, as only good 'teams' win championships. And it is the ultimate 'chess match' of the sporting world.

I cannot think of a sport that combines the amount of physical and mental preperation, demands such a high level of lighting quick mental and physical reflexes, and mental and physical toughness as football. I do not believe it exists.

I cannot speak to rugby because i've never watched much of it, but if you think american football is boring and futeball exiciting then your a great study in contradiction. Both are filled with boring lulls, inaction, and quick moments of lighting in a bottle.
By TROI
How long do stop-start rugby with pads (American football) matches last for?
By bradley
I cannot speak to rugby because i've never watched much of it, but if you think american football is boring and futeball exiciting then your a great study in contradiction. Both are filled with boring lulls, inaction, and quick moments of lighting in a bottle.
interesting, ceause you've been mouthing off about rugby all night. I never said american football was boring, in fact i don't believe anyone here has done. It's not about teamwork, nor is it common anywhere BUT the US, at least have the grace to admit both of these facts. American football is many things, but appropriately titles, a prime example of teamwork, versatility and international attention/participation it is NOT
By Comrade Ogilvy
If its only a 'national' event with just Norwegians competing then of course youre a moron

NFL

National
Football
League
By Comrade Ogilvy
You're the moron if you believe that the Majors only have american players

Please :roll:

You cant say its an international event when it has American teams.

Duh
By era o divertimento
graham poll (the ref that night) bent the rules, but did so very well. Rooney should had been sent off, but clearly got a spanking over half time, so played cool and collected in the second. good refereeing, if overly lenient according to the rulebook.

I agree. He's young, and people want to watch him. Two good reasons to keep him in the game. Plus, he wasn't THAT far out of line. He should grow out of the hot-headed thing.

Just keep him from kicking Argentines and he'll be fine ;)
By SpiderMonkey
Peh. Weedy Americans need to wear body armour to play a watered-down version of rugby. Those that don't play that silly game like to play rounds, just as 12 year old girls do in England.

American 'Football' has no real following outside the US. Real football is followed the world over. Rugby isn't as popular, but it is getting there slowly.
By uglygoat
football is all about teamwork... every play is designed for every guy on the squad to work together to move the ball down the field, be it a pass play a run play or a kick play (hence the football ;))

it might not be as spontaneous and ugly as rugby, and i'll give you there is nothing better sounding then the thud of flesh and bone on flesh and bone (kind of a dull thwack...)... but 11 men working together to achieve a common goal on the field is teamwork in my book...
By Haraldur
I am now proud to introduce what could be seen as a somewhat homoerotic sport, that being the national sport of Iceland - Glima, an ancient type of wrestling.

In glima there are two contestants, who wear special types of belts on their waists, and both thighs. Both contestants grip the waist belt of the other at the left hip with their right hand and at the right thigh with their left hand. They then circle in a clockwise direction. While doing this, keeping their grip (and not being allowed to punch etc.) they try to unbalance their openent or throw him to the floor, which for over 17s is either wooden or harder. Most matches or rounds last two minutes, but finals often have no time limit. The aim is to get you opponent to touch the floor with any part of the body above the knee, which is not below the elbow. If both fall then the match starts over.

In the past, in cases of highly serious offenses, there would be duels of glima over rocks with the purpose of one of the contestants being killed.

Not to be confused with this guy, but does look a bit as if he has been thrown to the floor face first...

I like to be different/special/retarded.

http://wrestlegirl.com/jhistory.htm
http://www.geocities.com/athens/acropol ... glima.html
http://ejmas.com/jwma/articles/2000/jwm ... z_0100.htm (hehe, belt is NASA's design for a zero gravity sex device...)
By Comrade Ogilvy
interesting, ceause you've been mouthing off about rugby all night.
I've only been reacting in kind.
It's not about teamwork
:lol: :lol: :lol: Then please explain the sub-par talented dynasty of New England?? Or explain why Dan Marino, Peyton Manning, or MIcheal Vick own ZERO championship rings.... :roll: :roll:
nor is it common anywhere BUT the US
Once again, Canada has their own league, AS WELL AS Europe.... so once again, bring that ignorance back here when the CFL and NFL Europe no longer exist. Dismissed.
NFL

National
Football
League
Very good MORON, now tell me what exactly that has to do with the WORLD Series, of which we were discussing.... :knife: :roll:
Please Roll eyes

You cant say its an international event when it has American teams.
Once again my stone-headed friend. It DOES NOT HAVE JUST AMERICAN TEAMS. How many more ways can that be spelled out for you???
it might not be as spontaneous and ugly as rugby, and i'll give you there is nothing better sounding then the thud of flesh and bone on flesh and bone (kind of a dull thwack...)... but 11 men working together to achieve a common goal on the field is teamwork in my book...
Dont explain, its over their heads. To them 'teamwork' is passing the ball to a same colored jersey when your about to be tackled. Rugby is just football for those who cannot afford a rulebook or pads.
By Hibbett Assistant Coach ¼
YOu know spider, maybe they wear pads because they are bigger and fast than some weakling rugby faggot. This also goes to prove they are smarter.
By Jim G
You really can't beat all the irrational, vitrolic hate-spewing that occurs when men quarrel over sports, can you? :knife:

I wish i could get in on this argument, but i really can't do it; i love football and i love football, if you know what i mean (although i do like to play non-american football more).

It seems from this quote that you are itching to […]

Everyone knows the answer to this question. The […]

More incoherent ramblings as one can expect from […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Wait, what ? South Korea defeated communists ? Whe[…]