Football and Soccer - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Sports, Hobbies and all things unrelated to Politics.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Smertios
Brio wrote:^ What about ice hockey or lacrosse? It's not played on horseback, but I've never heard it grouped into "football" as it were.

When did I say that it needs to be played on foot to be considered football? :eh:

Re-read my post, please... All sports that are classified as "football" today have a common root in medieval mob football and the ancient Roman Harpastum. Both of were incredibly violent.

Neither Lacrosse not Ice Hockey have any historical connection with those sports. The former is Native American, in origin. The latter has an European origin, but with different roots. It was based on traditional sports that used sticks to move a ball, like Hurling, Shinty, Field Hockey, Kolven and Golf. None of those sports can thrace their origin back to Harpastum, therefore they are not varieties of football...
By Brio
The post wasn't directed at you, Smertios. Just the general, football is known as football because it wasn't played on horseback. I think TIG and others mentioned this fact.

Sorry for the confusion.
I don't know anything about ice hockey's origin. I can believe that lacrosse would be the foot equivalent to polo - but, again, I know nothing about it.
I thought Ice Hockey came from the natives, but I think someone will come by, who is anal, and will say "Well, the natives played a similar sport, but it really wasn't Ice Hockey. Ice Hockey started... blah, blah, blah [I'm really smart and anal] blah, blah, blah [Don't you feel crusty Brio?] blah, blah, blah. Fuck you, I win!" :lol: Someone who makes shit up to make the natives look bad. Someone like Hip Hop Bunny Hop, I think.

Smertios wrote:American football is boring to watch and the "action" stops every time the ball falls. That is one of the reason people don't like it very much outside the US.

Meh, you guys aren't trying if you believe that. We can say the same about Soccer in another way. All the action is running around the middle of the pitch passing the ball back and forth. Once every half someone generates enough offense that the ball gets close to the attack zone...

All that passing is gay.

(See how this works?) :lol:
By Smertios
Brio wrote:The post wasn't directed at you, Smertios. Just the general, football is known as football because it wasn't played on horseback. I think TIG and others mentioned this fact.

Sorry for the confusion.

Why did you use that arrow pointing up, then? :p

The Immortal Goon wrote:I don't know anything about ice hockey's origin. I can believe that lacrosse would be the foot equivalent to polo - but, again, I know nothing about it.

Lacrosse comes from Native Americans... Polo comes from India... So I doubt they are connected :p

Demosthenes wrote:I thought Ice Hockey came from the natives, but I think someone will come by, who is anal, and will say "Well, the natives played a similar sport, but it really wasn't Ice Hockey. Ice Hockey started... blah, blah, blah [I'm really smart and anal] blah, blah, blah [Don't you feel crusty Brio?] blah, blah, blah. Fuck you, I win!" :lol: Someone who makes shit up to make the natives look bad. Someone like Hip Hop Bunny Hop, I think.

But... it didn't have anything to do with the natives :|

Ice hockey and hockey in general come from similar European sports, like Field Hockey, Hurling, Shinty, Bandy etc. Perhaps even Colf and Golf have a shared origin..

Canada's national sports depict Canada's "Mestizo" roots quite well, coming from both natives (lacrosse) and Europeans (Ice hockey)...

Meh, you guys aren't trying if you believe that. We can say the same about Soccer in another way. All the action is running around the middle of the pitch passing the ball back and forth. Once every half someone generates enough offense that the ball gets close to the attack zone...

All that passing is gay.

(See how this works?) :lol:

lol
Soccer is quite boring as well, in my opinion, but it is certainly a lot better than Gridiron :D

The field is too large, I think. It is not like hockey or basketball, which have similar rules but a smaller playing area. It makes the game more exciting, I think that futsal, indoor soccer and beach soccer are much better, to be honest. But my favorite team sport will always be water polo...

Volleyball is much more exciting to watch. Especially when neither team makes any mistakes. The ball keeps flying for several minutes before someone gets it wrong. And footvolley is even more exciting, considering they can't use their hands :p But I find tennis, which has shared origins with volleyball, to be really boring. But it is mainly because each match takes several hours...
By Brio
Smertios wrote:Why did you use that arrow pointing up, then?

Because that's how I roll. You got a problem with that?

Heh, we have people lamenting sports (hockey, lacrosse) that I doubt any of you have actually played, and talking about cultures you've never experienced ('mestizo', really smertios?)

I will note that this post was written after a long hard commute where I was subsequently late for work and haven't had my first coffee of the day. Needless to say I'm not my normal chipper self.
By Smertios
Brio wrote:Because that's how I roll. You got a problem with that?

When you do that in a forum, it gives the impression that you are replying to the immediately previous post :p

Heh, we have people lamenting sports (hockey, lacrosse) that I doubt any of you have actually played

I have watched dozens of lacrosse and ice hockey matches.. And yeah, I never played either, but then again, I never played footvolley, rugby or water polo either, and those are amongst my favorite sports... Watching matches, understanding the rules and cheering for a team do not require you to have the ability to play...

and talking about cultures you've never experienced ('mestizo', really smertios?)

Yes, one has to be crazy to deny the fact that aboriginal peoples influenced the culture of Canada. From the cultural point of view, Canada is a "mestizo" nation, that was highly influenced by the English, French, Inuit and Native American cultures. Emphasis on 'cultural', by the way, hence the quotation marks when I wrote the word mestizo. The Canadian population is clearly not genetically mestizo. Their culture is. The name Canada itself is native in origin, after all...
By Brio
Smertios wrote:When you do that in a forum, it gives the impression that you are replying to the immediately previous post

I'm a lazy bastard. My bad.

Smertios wrote:I have watched dozens of lacrosse and ice hockey matches.

I've watched dozens of cricket and rugby games. It doesn't mean I really understand what's going on with either of these sports. I'm sorry but I really doubt your understanding of hockey goes much farther than "put the puck in the net more times than the opponent and you win". I'm not saying it's because I'm Canadian either as I value Demosthenes knowledge and analysis of the game.

Smertios wrote:Yes, one has to be crazy to deny the fact that aboriginal peoples influenced the culture of Canada. From the cultural point of view, Canada is a "mestizo" nation, that was highly influenced by the English, French, Inuit and Native American cultures. Emphasis on 'cultural', by the way, hence the quotation marks when I wrote the word mestizo. The Canadian population is clearly not genetically mestizo. Their culture is. The name Canada itself is native in origin, after all...

I never said otherwise, I was calling you out on calling them mestizo, they are known as Metis.
By Smertios
Brio wrote:I've watched dozens of cricket and rugby games. It doesn't mean I really understand what's going on with either of these sports. I'm sorry but I really doubt your understanding of hockey goes much farther than "put the puck in the net more times than the opponent and you win". I'm not saying it's because I'm Canadian either as I value Demosthenes knowledge and analysis of the game.

I certainly don't understand about ice hockey that much. I normally watch rugby more, since ice hockey is a bit frustrating (locating the puck is a challenge). But yeah, I think I have an idea that is better than "put the puck in the net more times than the opponent and you win". But I agree that i certainly wouldn't know about every move or every specific detail.

Anyway, what i said in this thread about ice hockey happens to be true. And I know that not because I enjoy the sport, but because a few months ago I had nothing to do, so I started watching ESPN and researching on team sports a lot. That was when I discovered about Aussie rules football, for example (and I still find their Quidditch-style field quite funny :p). So I know ice hokey, field hockey, hurling, bandy etc all have a shared European origin.

About lacrosse, I have simply watched a few matches. But yeah, I didn't understand it much. Though I would if ESPN aired lacrosse matches more often around here, since it is fun to watch. I do know, however, that it is Native American in origin...

I never said otherwise, I was calling you out on calling them mestizo, they are known as Metis.

Yeah, I thought about that. I was gonna say "mixed", but the word 'mestizo' is more used in English when referring to something that comes from the union Amerinds and Europeans. Métis would sound wrong, since there is an actual ethnic group that identifies as 'Métis' in Canada. I could say mestee, since that is probably the correct word in English, but I doubt anyone would understand :p
Keep in mind Brio, that he's Brazilian. Using the term is more natural there than it is here.

It's kind of a borderline racist term up here. Nothing that would "earn a card" or anything (for instance) but it does carry a negative connotation. Something we'd expect Hip Hop Bunny Hop to say when re-inventing the history of anything he doesn't think is "white" enough.

That is, to the people that actually know what it means. Many probably don't.
By Beren
TIG wrote:As has been pointed out repeatedly, they both are football as neither is played on horseback.

Right, but the real issue is which football should be meant when someone says 'football'.
Right, but the real issue is which football should be meant when someone says 'football'.

Clearly that's all on context.

My big issue is to wipe the smug off the face of jingoist Americans/British.
By Beren
TIG wrote:Clearly that's all on context.

Do you like football?

Context helps you a lot indeed: it's dead cert I'm not asking you whether you like handball, basketball or volleyball.
An international forum where the discussion has been Gridiron and Soccer means, "Do you like football" means either gridiron or soccer.

If we had been on a forum that doesn't exist that was based around Cork Ireland, then it would probably mean Gaelic Football. If I were on a rugby site hosted by a NZ server, it would mean "Aussie Rules" rugby. If it was out of the blue on a Canadian site, it would mean gridiron.

99% of the time it's not a problem. Why people insist on making it one so that they can feel so good about having that name is beyond me.
By Beren
TIG wrote:If we had been on a forum that doesn't exist that was based around Cork Ireland, then it would probably mean Gaelic Football. If I were on a rugby site hosted by a NZ server, it would mean "Aussie Rules" rugby. If it was out of the blue on a Canadian site, it would mean gridiron.

In England (or Britain) and outside the (rest of the) Anglo-sphere it means this:

So what the hell this discussion is really about is way beyond me.
Last edited by Beren on 05 Jan 2012 03:13, edited 1 time in total.
By Beren
TIG wrote:I was accused of being a jingoist. That didn't stick so you continued to argue.

You are a jingoist, because you represent less than 5% of the world. I guess that's because Ireland (and the US as well) is part of the said 5% and England (or the whole UK) is part of the 95%.

TIG wrote:I have no idea why you were so impassioned about this.

Because I just don't understand why the more than 95% of the world should accept the claims of the less than 5%. We have to say soccer, because if we say football, then some guys on Cork Island and in North America or Australia think we speak about something we just don't know anything about.
Beren wrote:We have to say soccer, because if we say football, then some guys on Cork Island and in North America or Australia think we speak about something we just don't know anything about.

Who said that you, "have to say soccer?"

I didn't. None of my sources did. Nobody else in the thread did.

I said that the proper terminology, as has been sourced and re-sourced, is "soccer." Same as a Hoover is actually a vacuum and a Band-Aid is actually an adhesive bandage.

Leftists have often and openly condemned the Octo[…]

Yes, It is illegal in the US if you do not declar[…]

Though you accuse many people ("leftists&quo[…]

Chimps are very strong too Ingliz. In terms of fo[…]