AFL tips/thread - Page 6 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Sports, Hobbies and all things unrelated to Politics.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Notorious B.i.G.
colliric wrote:If it's wet that clearly favours Sydney because they love flooding and making it a low scoring slog. I don't know how you came to the conclusion it would favour the Hawks, because they tend to kick long to Franklin looking for a mark. Slippery ball tends to be the worst enemy of the full forward looking to outmark his opponent and also the attacking crumber looking to pick it up, steady and kick at goal. Whereas the defender looking to clear it is at advantage in wet conditions.... All he has to do is roost it out of defense. Sides that enjoy flooding tend to naturally be at advantage in the wet.

Yes, Sydney can flood, but they need to kick goals too.
Hawthorn small forwards are better in the wet than Swans.
Wet ground will go a long way to nullifying Sydney big forwards Josh Kennedy and Reid. Both teams suffer the same affects of key forwards being unable to take clear marks from long kicks.
I think the Rioli, and key Hawthorn mids, (like Brad Sewll) will do better than Jetta, ROK and Goodes in the crumbing role, running the ball out of stoppages for scoring goals. And hence why in the wet Hawks will be slightly better off.
By colliric
Why would Goodes be Crumbing when they have Rhyce Shaw playing like he did on Friday as the defensive crumber?

You do realise they have defensive crumbers too right?
By Notorious B.i.G.
Well duh... geez thanks for clearing that up. I had no idea. But I’m talking about offensive.

I wasn't referring to Goodes in a defensive capacity but in an offensive capacity. Clearing out of stoppages, which is so good at, but Hawthorn key attacking mids are better at.

Shaw will do a bang up job in defence. If he can pull off another game like he did against Collingwood, that’ll be a real boost to the Swans. Depends on who is matchup is too. His listed against Bruest at the moment on teams, not that a tough gig for Shaw. So I could see Shaw floating around the half back for most of the game.
By unbalanced zealot
12:30 (Seoul) AFL Toyota Premiership Season 2012 - Grand Final: Sydney Swans v Hawthorn

We just got a new cable set up ... and it turns out we have Australia Network on it. Just checked the guide on-line and the above is on ! :rockon:
By colliric
told you Swans were going to drain the life out of the Hawks and win!!
By Notorious B.i.G.
Well that was a cracking game. One of the best gran finals I've ever seen. Up there with Adelaide v Saints in 1996
By colliric
Notorious B.i.G. wrote:Well that was a cracking game. One of the best gran finals I've ever seen. Up there with Adelaide v Saints in 1996

They won exactly how I told you it was going to happen! :)
By colliric
If I remember correctly... It was 1997!

Carey led North to a fantastic victory over the Swans in '96.
By Notorious B.i.G.
unbalanced zealot wrote:
If I remember correctly it was Darren Jarman showing natural class in that match that got Adelaide over the line.

Yes it was. A great come back from behind in the third quarter. I thought the hawks might do the same today. Interesting to see the impact on goal scoring the city end of the ground had. A good favour for Sydney going into the last quarter.

Hmm still, I think the best GF I've been to was the St Kilda & Collingwood draw. Worst was Melbourne & Essendon 2000 :)

Now the GF is over it'll be interesting to see the new Port Adelaide coach will be.
By colliric
Best team I ever saw win the Grand Final was, and I'm probably biased but still, Collingwood's 1990 Premiership team. I watched the doco that was on after the Brownlow this year, boy that side was deadly at their best on that day. Collingwood's best premiership team of the last 3(inc 1958). Best Grand Final from a non-Collingwood point of view was the 2002 Grand Final, or the 1989 grand final.
By Redlom Xof
Trent Cotchin to win the 2013 brownlow with Richmond to finish top 4.

I wonder how much that will pay at the TAB ?
By Notorious B.i.G.
Redlom Xof wrote:Trent Cotchin to win the 2013 brownlow with Richmond to finish top 4.

I wonder how much that will pay at the TAB ?

a $10 bet will get you about a $100,000,000 return.
Ain't going to happen. Richmond WILL NOT make the top 4. They'll be lucky to make the 8.
I love it, every year for about the last decade it has been, "Richmond will make the top 8 this year". And inevitably, they don't.

On another note. Quieten Lynch to Collingwood. What a pickup for the Magpies. Goddard to Essendon is good for them too. Be interesting to see if St Kilda can lure Josh Caddy away from GC.
Looks like Melbourne won’t be getting anything in the Free Agency, and will lose a couple of players. Have to hold out for the drafts now to see if we can get anything good. But word is that GC will use its top pick to make a play for Jack Viney and not allow Melbourne to pick him up under Father/Son rule at pick 26. Fuckers.
By Redlom Xof
Melbourne just keeps on gettting Fu*** over. The Jack Viney deal was the one good thing that was going to happen at that club.

I don't understand how they could possibly be paying their players the same as other sides. In reality, they should be using only about 20 % of their cap based on the quality of players I see there. Surely Melbourne would have room in their cap for players like Goddard , Lynch, Cloke or some other free agent.

2013 is the season of great improvement at Richmond. Are we good enough to win ? No
Just look at our list, it's the best I have ever seen it. ( I'm only 23)

I know Richmond have been saying this for a while, probably closer to 30 years than 10 :*(
By Notorious B.i.G.
Redlom Xof wrote:Melbourne just keeps on gettting Fu*** over. The Jack Viney deal was the one good thing that was going to happen at that club.

While the GC/GWS would be within the rules and therefore ‘fare’, it would still be a massive blow to Melbourne. Yes, we’d be a bit fucked over, again.

Redlom Xof wrote:I don't understand how they could possibly be paying their players the same as other sides. In reality, they should be using only about 20 % of their cap based on the quality of players I see there. Surely Melbourne would have room in their cap for players like Goddard , Lynch, Cloke or some other free agent.

I know! Agree 100%. How can we be using up so much of our cap! It’s the AFLPA (AFL Players Association) EBA (Enterprise Bargaining Agreement). It requires clubs to pay up to 95% of the Salary cap no matter what (or there abouts). It’s really fucking over clubs like Melbourne and Port Adelaide who have all this deadwood that they have to pay for.

Redlom Xof wrote:2013 is the season of great improvement at Richmond. Are we good enough to win ? No
Just look at our list, it's the best I have ever seen it. ( I'm only 23) I know Richmond have been saying this for a while, probably closer to 30 years than 10 :*(

If Richmond can stop losing games by less than Goal and actually grind those out as wins, Richmond could easily be top 8. The Richmond list is the best I’ve seen in a long time too. It’s very good. Dustin Martin and Robin Nahas were two truly exceptional draft picks.
By colliric
Richmond will be close to the top 4 next year. Usually when a side busts a "Hoodoo" they do it in spectacular fashion, like the pies did in 1990, or Sydney at the MCG this year. Richmond look to me like Collingwood did in '01, finished 9th a few more lucky wins and we would have made it... Next season we were playing on the last Saturday in September... So it's not like a team hasn't done it before.

Pies once went from last(12th at the time) to a grand final the following year(78 and '79 I think it was) I think that's probably still the "Record".

Are you aware that the only difference between yo[…]

@FiveofSwords If you think that science is mer[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I'm just free flowing thought here: I'm trying t[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

…. the left puts on the gas pedal and the right […]