AFL tips/thread - Page 8 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Sports, Hobbies and all things unrelated to Politics.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By colliric
unbalanced zealot wrote:That's interesting. I'll have to watch a few more games from this season, but I think both will be in the second half of the 8. Early days tho.

Too early to even predict of Bomber Thompson will be senior coach by the end of the year... But it's looking more like ot every day.
By unbalanced zealot
Well, things have shaped up a bit weird since the last post.

Geelong, doing better than expected.

Been watching a lot of games lately - which has been great. Gold Coast are showing some good signs.
By colliric
unbalanced zealot wrote:Well, things have shaped up a bit weird since the last post.

Geelong, doing better than expected.

Been watching a lot of games lately - which has been great. Gold Coast are showing some good signs.

Not really, to be honest Geelong are running hot early... They'll probably cool down a bit soon. Hawks will win the flag....
By unbalanced zealot
Just watched Port Adelaide bear St Kilda by 5 points. Fucking stressful game ... Port were great in the first half and were lucky enough in the second half to fluke out the win. Some defensive marks from Westhoff saved the day for Port but they also made a couple of super bad errors in front of goal. One was a player (Robbie Gray I think) with an open goal who couldn't even dribble of the left foot and tried to turn around onto his right, ran out of time a kicked a point. Whole momentum of the game changed at that moment, the kick in led to a run of consec. goals to the Saints. Then with 2 minutes odd to go I think the same player missed a set shot 35 metres out that would have put us 10 points up. My team won but won in a bad way. At least the win keeps Carlton out of the 8.
By colliric
unbalanced zealot wrote:Just watched Port Adelaide bear St Kilda by 5 points. Fucking stressful game ... Port were great in the first half and were lucky enough in the second half to fluke out the win. Some defensive marks from Westhoff saved the day for Port but they also made a couple of super bad errors in front of goal. One was a player (Robbie Gray I think) with an open goal who couldn't even dribble of the left foot and tried to turn around onto his right, ran out of time a kicked a point. Whole momentum of the game changed at that moment, the kick in led to a run of consec. goals to the Saints. Then with 2 minutes odd to go I think the same player missed a set shot 35 metres out that would have put us 10 points up. My team won but won in a bad way. At least the win keeps Carlton out of the 8.

Did we watch the same game?

Anyside that can withstand a 50 point barnstorming comeback by a desperate team playing for their season and your side holds on to win anyway should consider it one of the greatest wins of all time. Port's last quater was spectacular, especially from your defence.

They were great in the first half and tired themselves out, St Kilda then struck after the halftime break, and Port gripped on for dear life in the last and won against the team that clearly had more legs lef(due to them not turning up until halftime). He missed that second shot because you guys were fucken buggered. That you still won was a minor miracle!
By unbalanced zealot
I see what you are getting at. Port have had good 4th quarters so far this year ... they're a fit side. If they play finals all quarters are going to be tough.

The wins against Collingwood and Sydney were better wins. Wins by the circ. 2003/4 side would have been more closer to Port Power's all time best wins. My point was that Robbie Gray mid game couldn't make an almost simple kick on his left ... to finish St Kilda off. This is a weakness that past Port sides who finished top and won finals (or Port Magpies SANFL Premiership sides) probably wouldn't have accomodated. I'm just looking at is from the perspective of a life long Port fan (3rd generation) who's evaluating the list we have and its pro's and con's with a view to Port getting itself another flag this cycle.

Bottom line is that Port were LUCKY to hang on to that win, and if umpiring decisions had gone against them in the last 10 minutes they would have lost a vital game. I'm glad they won but I thought the game showed up some areas we need to tweak to move to the next level. Rebuilding to contender.
By colliric
unbalanced zealot wrote:I see what you are getting at. Port have had good 4th quarters so far this year ... they're a fit side. If they play finals all quarters are going to be tough.

The wins against Collingwood and Sydney were better wins. Wins by the circ. 2003/4 side would have been more closer to Port Power's all time best wins. My point was that Robbie Gray mid game couldn't make an almost simple kick on his left ... to finish St Kilda off. This is a weakness that past Port sides who finished top and won finals (or Port Magpies SANFL Premiership sides) probably wouldn't have accomodated. I'm just looking at is from the perspective of a life long Port fan (3rd generation) who's evaluating the list we have and its pro's and con's with a view to Port getting itself another flag this cycle.

Bottom line is that Port were LUCKY to hang on to that win, and if umpiring decisions had gone against them in the last 10 minutes they would have lost a vital game. I'm glad they won but I thought the game showed up some areas we need to tweak to move to the next level. Rebuilding to contender.

I think you guys should be happy you've improved this year to nearly make the 8, maybe think about the top 4 next year.

And I'm soooo glad Adelaide BEAT those pretenders.... Such a classy upset.
By unbalanced zealot
Yeh you are right ... making the 8 is an achievement in itself. We might even be playing Richmond at the MSG if we do, first game up.

Talking of upsets - The Suns beating Collingwood is an interesting development.

I watched some of the Swans game today and they looked solid beating WC in Perth.

If the Bombers don't get docked points or something, the top 4 finals battle is going to be mega when it comes. Any predictions?
By colliric
unbalanced zealot wrote:Yeh you are right ... making the 8 is an achievement in itself. We might even be playing Richmond at the MSG if we do, first game up.

Talking of upsets - The Suns beating Collingwood is an interesting development.

I watched some of the Swans game today and they looked solid beating WC in Perth.

If the Bombers don't get docked points or something, the top 4 finals battle is going to be mega when it comes. Any predictions?

Hawthorn Premiership, Swans runners up.

Hawthorn will have to break the "Kennett Curse" to get there though..
By unbalanced zealot
Watched Hawks see of Bombers ... class act.

And ... I know I was venting about last week ... but had Port knocked out the Saints and not given so much ground they'd have got a percentage boast.

We are a game ahead of Carlton and a game behind Collingwood, but 2-4 percentage points behind both. Didn't watch the game today but noticed Robbie Gray kicked two points ... he's on the HF line getting paid big money to contribute goals not points. 10 G 14 B so far this year.
By colliric
A Loss to GC, and a last quarter "save face" against GWS isn't dang good enough for a side that beat Geelong earlier in the season. We need to thump whoever we're playing next week.

On the bright side, the VFL side is set to make the finals for the first time ever! Which is AWESOME!
By colliric
James Hird is an asshole. As if Eddie would ever risk his media career by letting that shit happen at our club...

Same for West Coast and Hawthorn. They've got two very GOOD Senior Coaches...
By unbalanced zealot
It's like Eddie Obeid telling the media he's not corrupt and his lawyers are going to find some technically to prove him to be clean as a new born baby.

This is real 'if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck' stuff ...
By colliric
unbalanced zealot wrote:Opinions please ... will Essendon lose points this season?

No, James Hird will be suspended for a long period(a season or two, probably banned from attending matches too) and the players will be fined, one or two will be put out for a season(Watson?).
By unbalanced zealot
Pity - because before Collingwood won as they did today I was thinking if Essendon were docked points Port might make the top 6 and get a home final.

So much for that.
By colliric
unbalanced zealot wrote:Pity - because before Collingwood won as they did today I was thinking if Essendon were docked points Port might make the top 6 and get a home final.

So much for that.

Port are a tad lucky to be in the finals.... Just as you were lucky a freak ball bounce saved you guys the game.

You'll need it next week too.
By unbalanced zealot
Different subject: watched two games this weekend ... the Richmond and Freo wins.

All I can say is that I think these finals are going to be great. Haven't been looking forward to a finals series like this in quite a while.

PS: you do know he meant to do that! No luck about it, all skill, he practices those spin kicks at training every week.

By colliric
Finals Tips:

Hawthorn
Freo(will rise to the occasion)
Collingwood(less than a kick)
Richmond(will annihilate Carlton by 8 goals or more)

@FiveofSwords Genes are heritable but phenoty[…]

@Deutschmania Not if the 70% are American and[…]

What confuses me much more is the question what t[…]

I said most. A psych prof once said that a colleg[…]