Sharapova won! - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Sports, Hobbies and all things unrelated to Politics.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Lokakyy
That was two events though. Phelps last year walked away with, what, a half dozen medals?

More I think. 100 m butterfly, 200 m butterfly, 200 m freestyle, medleys, relays etc. I'm not saying that it doesn't require skill (and he was without doubt the best swimmer in Beijing), but it IS easiest to gain a lot of medals in swimming, and next to impossible to get so many in modern track and field events. Gymnastics gets closest to swimming (and the all-time second on the list, Latynina, was a gymnast) in medals.

The 60m, 100m and 200m are all pretty close.

Sure. 60m isn't an olympic event though. I'm not convinced that even a super-gifted person could get eight medals in track and field events like Phelps could in swimming.
By Magnetonium
Watching women's tennis can be a lot of fun. Sharapova is one of the most vocal players in the game, her moans are out of this world.

It was funny reading a while back how Maroon 5's singer Adam Levine (who dated Sharapova at one point), allegedly said that she was like "a dead frog" in bed, apparently expecting her as loud in bed as on the court. What a douchebag.
By Russkie
Magnetonium wrote:Watching women's tennis can be a lot of fun. Sharapova is one of the most vocal players in the game, her moans are out of this world.

It was funny reading a while back how Maroon 5's singer Adam Levine (who dated Sharapova at one point), allegedly said that she was like "a dead frog" in bed, apparently expecting her as loud in bed as on the court. What a douchebag.

What an asshole. You don't disrespect a woman like that.
By Wolfman
More I think. 100 m butterfly, 200 m butterfly, 200 m freestyle, medleys, relays etc. I'm not saying that it doesn't require skill (and he was without doubt the best swimmer in Beijing), but it IS easiest to gain a lot of medals in swimming, and next to impossible to get so many in modern track and field events. Gymnastics gets closest to swimming (and the all-time second on the list, Latynina, was a gymnast) in medals.

You seem to be assuming that because one person has a lot of medals in swimming it must be relatively easy to get a lot of medals in swimming. But, that isn't really true. Phelps record for medal's will probably stand for decades because it required the right combination of amazing genetics, a lifetime of training with proper rest, lifetime of proper diet, years of mental training, a lifetime of excellent trainers, and in short: to get a single Phelps, you need the stars to align. That is why people like Phelps (and for that matter Latynina and Lance Armstrong) are so often talked about.

I'm not convinced that even a super-gifted person could get eight medals in track and field events like Phelps could in swimming.

In track and field in general? They probably could, only because Track and Field includes running events, hammer toss, javelin, various jumps, and the like. But in running specifically, it's hard to say. The Olympics has a similar number of events for running, but they're spaced between 100m and the marathon.
By Lokakyy
You seem to be assuming that because one person has a lot of medals in swimming it must be relatively easy to get a lot of medals in swimming. But, that isn't really true. Phelps record for medal's will probably stand for decades because it required the right combination of amazing genetics, a lifetime of training with proper rest, lifetime of proper diet, years of mental training, a lifetime of excellent trainers, and in short: to get a single Phelps, you need the stars to align.

I never said that Phelps wasn't a top class swimmer with amazing training and whatnot, but that is irrelevant to the point I'm arguing — what I am saying is indeed that it is "easy" to get a lot of medals in swimming, because it is if you are a top swimmer, you can succeed in numerous different swimming events that give you a gold medal. One could be an astounding athlete, just as good as Phelps in swimming, in say tennis, but one could never even approach the amount of medals that can be achieved in swimming. Because there is too damn many events in Olympic swimming. Thats why I don't find it that impressive. Gold medals in swimming just inflate, because there are so many dished out every four years.

In track and field in general? They probably could, only because Track and Field includes running events, hammer toss, javelin, various jumps, and the like.

It is technically and physically impossible to be a top hammer tosser, javeliner and long jumper simultaneously. Athletes who compete in heptathlon would lose miserably in the actual events if competing against those who just toss the javelin or shoot put. Unlike in swimming.

The Olympics has a similar number of events for running, but they're spaced between 100m and the marathon.

True — and running 100m and running a marathon have very little to do with each other as a sport (except that both involve running).
By Magnetonium
Lokakyy wrote:
I never said that Phelps wasn't a top class swimmer with amazing training and whatnot, but that is irrelevant to the point I'm arguing — what I am saying is indeed that it is "easy" to get a lot of medals in swimming, because it is if you are a top swimmer, you can succeed in numerous different swimming events that give you a gold medal. One could be an astounding athlete, just as good as Phelps in swimming, in say tennis, but one could never even approach the amount of medals that can be achieved in swimming. Because there is too damn many events in Olympic swimming. Thats why I don't find it that impressive. Gold medals in swimming just inflate, because there are so many dished out every four years.

Yes indeed. If you are a judoist, a badminton player, a weightlifter, hockey player, or another professional athlete from so many other sports - you can only win at maximum one medal, and if lucky, a combination of medals, 2-3 at most depending on the sport. Its all has to do with the sport you choose, and it is indeed quite ridiculous that such sports as swimming and gymnastics have a billion variations. Well, actually, I don't mind the variations too much, but I do mind the fact that the same athlete is participating in all of them. They should make a rule limiting the participating of one athlete in other events, to 2-3 of his/her choice. As otherwise its really extremely selfish and very unfair to other athletes, who don't get recognized or noticed because of one fool who wants to win all the medals. It shines the wrong limelight on the sport. Right now Phelps is being portrayed as the greatest athlete in the history of Summer Olympics, which is absolutely false and total nonsense. THE ONLY reason he is being praised so highly is because he picked a sport where he is lucky enough to be participating in many events and thus winning many combinations of medals. If you are the world's greatest boxer then you're limited to ONE weight class and 1 or 2 max possible medals.

So as a conclusion, people are glorifying greed and selfishness here, not the athletes. Phelps is an accomplished swimmer and the best in his field at the moment, but he is not the greatest Olympic athlete of all time. He is merely exploiting a flaw in the system that needs to be addressed. He's only considered so because of his medal count. He has a lot to thank for his achievements the fact that Olympic records are getting broken all the time due to better health, training techniques, and in the case of swimmers - super-technology body suits that also help the swimmers greatly by reducing traction with water and swim better. Thats a level of cheating, I think. Technology is doing its part in increasing performance of these athletes. Swimmers who qualified for Olympics 30-40 years ago wouldn't be able to win medals today.
By Rugoz
^

Who cares about the best olympic athletes anyway? Ok gymnastics is kind of impressive. But otherwise I'm more interested in football, tennis, skiiing, formula one etc.

What I don't like is that successful olympians are often just freaks of nature, like phelps or bolt, I prefer skill-based sports.

Sharapova lost btw :D
By Rancid
Lick it up Russkie, lick it up

USA OWNS RUSSIA, RUSSIA doesn't own jack shit!

The US will ALWAYS destroy Russia, always, you guys are pretty much a 3rd world shithole.
By Rancid
Oh, and guess what? The USA is kicking Russia's ass at indoor volleyball as I type this. YEA!!!

Also beat you at Gynamastics. face russkie, Russia just plan fucking sucks dick balls and ass. It also eats shit.
By Magnetonium
Yeah, Williams sisters won their unprecedented third consecutive Olympics gold medal in doubles tennis. Thats never been done before. In addition to other Olympics gold tennis medals their won individually. If there were as many variation of Olympic tennis sports as swimming, I am pretty sure Williams sisters would even have a shot to overtake Phelps in the overall standings.

Leftists have often and openly condemned the Octo[…]

Yes, It is illegal in the US if you do not declar[…]

Though you accuse many people ("leftists&quo[…]

Chimps are very strong too Ingliz. In terms of fo[…]