NHL 2013-2014 - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Sports, Hobbies and all things unrelated to Politics.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Demosthenes
I missed this game unfortunately.

If there weren't such an issue with the team sucking so badly, and that due to the long term issues with goonishness, I might feel differently, but frankly I kind of hope the Flyers really really push the "olde tymey Flyer Hockey" mantra to its utmost this season just so our owner has to finally face up to the fact that it worked twice in 40 years and now should be put on the shelf for awhile.

I'm not a fan of following the latest trend, but at this point its safe to say speed and skill win championships. Some grit helps, perhaps even some feistiness, but outright goonery simply doesn't win anymore and hasn't for some time.

By Brio
Hey Demosthenes,

Since the respective teams that we cheer for made a trade a week ago, I was wondering what your impression of Talbot was when he was a Flyer? I know he had an amazing Game 7 Stanley Cup Final (2 goals IIRC) with the Penguins, but other than that I don't know as I don't watch the East as much.

As Downie was formerly a Flyer I think you are well acquainted with what he brings to the table. I will miss his passion and ability to hit/intimidate, but I won't be missing the many bad penalties he takes.
By Demosthenes
The first season he scored twice as many goals as he ever had before (21). Last year he wasn't very good offensively, but defensively he's always been very good.

I liked the guy, I'm not sure Downie is really the answer for us, but I don't dislike him either.
By Demosthenes
As a follow up, I have a general NA sports question back to you,

The Avs have been dogs for several seasons now. This doggery has clearly allowed them to stock up on higher level talent which has (to this point in the season) reached a tipping point. The addition of Roy as coach notwithstanding.

So, is it worth it to suck really bad for say, three years (Gaining a top over all pick at least once) and then quickly climb to the top, or is it better to "reload" stay mildly competitive and hope the right free agent signing or overlooked draft pick can add the edge needed to get to elite status?

Clearly being awful for a time has worked for Chicago, but not so much teams like Edmonton, Toronto, Tampa Bay, Columbus, etc. These teams (with the exception of Toronto) can perhaps blame their spending, but otherwise its hard to believe at this point that ANY strategy would work to free them from hell.

So assuming you have competent management and ownership, which "method" do you think is best?
By Demosthenes
That's a very interesting graphic, although I wish it was a little bigger. There isn't a whole lot you can glean from it though...

If you lump the top 10 picks with the (characters added for table consistency)
11-60 you get: 8,6,4,6,5
xLater Rounds: 3,4,1,3,4
xxxxxxxTrades: 7,8,12,5,5
xxxxxxxxxxFAs: 2,2,3,6,6

Averages seem meaningless here. A range I suppose is better but in all honesty you could apply those ranges to most teams that at least contend, I'll bet. Between 4 and 8 picks in the top 60, between 1 and 4 in later rounds, between 5 and 12 trades, and between 2 and six free agents.

The biggest help would be to discount the Bruins, which removes the 12 trades but beyond that doesn't affect anything, and then the Pens and Blackhawks who are fucking up the free agent theory, but set the trends elsewhere.

I'm not sure knowing that helps confirm anything at all, the Bruins, Kings, and Blackhawks all lack that one major star as well, instead having a nuclear of top tier (if not elite) players.

I'm open to anyone else's ideas on this.
By Brio
Holy shit, this trade deadline (and the day before it) have been one of the most exciting in recent memory.

I broke out in hysterical laughter when I saw the Canucks (who less than a year ago had both Schneider and Luongo in net and screwed up so bad that they both are now gone with very little to show for it. They went from a position of strength in net to having Lack and Markstrom...

What a shit show Vancouver has been.

St. Louis, Callahan and Gaborik all are gone, but Kesler, Vanek and Moulson have still yet to go. The next few hours could still provide more drama.
By Captain Sam
Leafs went from 3rd in the Eastern Conference, to 12th in a month. The Leafs also now hold the record for most shots against (2945) in an 82-game season, beating out the '95-'96 Sabres (2911). I didn't think whoever replaced Wilson could be worse, but boy was I wrong.
By Brio
I had weeks of great schaudenfraud thanks to the Leafs this year. That is three epic collapses in three years. While Randy Carlye didn't help things, this goes way past his coaching. The whole core is rotten in Leaf land and the changing of a coach won't do dick all to rectify that.

In better news, the Colorado Avalanche went from worst in the conference (29th in the league) to win the Central division (3rd in the league) to set a record for greatest turn-around season. If Patrick Roy doesn't win the Jack Adams award for best coach this year I am going to each of the hockey writers, Jay and Silent Bob style, and beating the shit out of them. Nathan Mackinnon should also be a lock for the Calder trophy (rookie leading 63 points) for best rookie, and Ryan O'reilly has a good chance at the Lady Byng (only 2 penalty minutes and he logs some heavy minutes, had 28 goals, and doesn't shy away from the action) and Semyon Varlamov has an outside chance at the Vezina as he has most wins with 41 (beat Patrick Roy's franchise record), most shots against by far of the Vezina worthy canditates and only a 0.015 less save percentage than the leading candidate, Rask.

Best of all, with having an 8-0-1 steak down the stretch and the Blues collapsing from injuries and losing the last 6 games of the season, Colorado has avoided playing Chicago (who scares me) in the first round and get the decidedly easier Minnesota Wild.

So now that the matchups are all set, any predictions for the first round of the playoffs?
By Captain Sam
Collapsing/choking is just a Leafs thing to do. That game 7 against Boston still haunts me.

This season I just chalk it up to law of averages. Goaltending was the only reason Toronto got as far as it did. Can't expect to win when you're out shot 2:1 every night. Got the puck? Better dump it back to the other team. In your defensive zone? Collapse around the goalie and hope to get the puck back after a shot on net. Let's play 1980s hockey.

God that Clarkson contract is awful.

BOS vs. DET
TBL vs. MTL
PIT vs. CBJ
NYR vs. PHI

COL vs. MIN
STL vs. CHI
ANA vs. DAL
SJS vs. LAK
By Demosthenes
I hate this format. I can't believe they went back to two divisions and then did this stupid ass format that NO other league of any kind does. Why? Because its stupid. Then I have to listen to the idiot Comcast announcers apologize and fawn over stupid play-off match-ups that should be occurring in the second and third rounds like they are 1960s school girls fawning over the Beatles.

Rant aside:

BOS vs. DET in 5
TBL vs. MTL in 7
PIT vs. CBJ in 6, but I could see an upset here. Either way Pens don't last two rounds.
NYR vs. PHI in 5. Flyers are not for real. Steve Mason could very well be the best goalie we've had since Hextall but the defense is far too inconsistant and will not be competitive against teams like Boston, Tampa, or Montreal. I could almost live with a sweep here in hopes we finally move on from "Flyer hockey".

COL vs. MIN in 5. Good job stealing the show from the Blues.
STL vs. CHI in 6. This is a very bad matchup for St. Louis.
ANA vs. DAL in 4. I'll probably take the Ducks in the West unless the Avs really look great early.
SJS vs. LAK in 6, but this one is a toss up to me. I doubt either one will last more than two rounds anyway.
By Demosthenes
There is no longer a functioning hockey community on PoFo if we can only get two picks for the playoffs. I'm ashamed.
By Decky
What team has the most scandal ridden squad? I will support them.
By Brio
Random playoff thoughts:

1. Nathan MacKinnon is truly a special kind of player. He set a record for 18 year old to score three points in his first game and tied a record to have scored 7 points in only 2 games and he won't be 19 until September. Also, Paul Statsny is a beast with 7 points as well so far. Two have his goals have been monstorous as he got the game tying goal with 13 seconds left and then the OT winner to win game 1.

Looks like Bryzgalov may have once again disappeared in the playoffs. I guess it is not just bears he is scared of but high pressure games as well.

2. That Chicago/St. Louis series is really mean and ugly to no one's surprise. Both teams were already banged up going in and the players are dropping like flies which I am hoping for as if Colorado defeats the Wild they will play the winner of that series next. Got to love Quenville getting fined for his wanking motion.

3. Flyers PK is truly awful (6 for 9 in only 4 periods of play) and if they don't correct this soon it will cost them the series. I almost feel bad for poor Demosthenes.
By Demosthenes
Brio wrote:Bryzgalov

Brio wrote:3. Flyers PK is truly awful (6 for 9 in only 4 periods of play) and if they don't correct this soon it will cost them the series. I almost feel bad for poor Demosthenes.

This has to do with playing the Rangers. One of the strengths of the team in the regular season was the penalty kill, which was ranked 5th at least going into the last two games. Of course playoffs =/= the regular season, but the issue is more the Rangers than the PK. They have the Flyers number the last couple years. Today's win in New York was our first in ten games straight at Madison Square Garden. I want to be optimistic considering how big that is, but... I dunno.

As you say, this must improve for them to have a chance.
By Brio
Demosthenes wrote:

Looks like it has just been confirmed that Bryzgalov is out and Kuemper is in. Bad news for Colorado as Bryzgalov was letting in bad goals above the pad but below the blocker like they were going out of style, and Kuemper looked decent in the time he got in game 2.

Demosthenes wrote:This has to do with playing the Rangers. One of the strengths of the team in the regular season was the penalty kill, which was ranked 5th at least going into the last two games. Of course playoffs =/= the regular season, but the issue is more the Rangers than the PK. They have the Flyers number the last couple years. Today's win in New York was our first in ten games straight at Madison Square Garden. I want to be optimistic considering how big that is, but... I dunno.

Ah, this makes sense then as I knew that in the regular season Philly had a pretty good PK. I was impressed with their tenacity in Game 2 coming back from down 2 to win it, so their might still be hope for them yet.

If it makes you feel any better I am kind of rooting for them to win this series as it would show Martin St. Louis good to be out in the first round after handcuffing his former team with a trade demand to one and only one team. Also, a Pens-Philly series is always a fun time, and if that were to happen I would be cheering for the Flyers again just because of Crybaby Crosby.

Finally, Scotty Hartnell has some of the best and most hilarious hair in the NHL.

Random Playoff Thoughts:

I fell asleep watching the Kings and Sharks game with LA being up 2-0. When I woke up in the morning I was shocked to enter the reality of a 7-2 Sharks victory. Quick does not seem to be his normal playoff self and without that, the Kings are going to have a short series. Also, San Jose looks for real, but I have seen so many times for them to choke in the playoffs, that I will reserve judgement on them until at least the second round.

As dirty as Chicago has been in their series, I am hoping to god they win the next two (hopefully both in long, hard hitting games that go into multiple OTs). They had better turn on this magical playoff switch that Hawks fans keep talking about soon, especially with Seabrook out 3 games with a suspension.

Lastly, at least in the first few games, no team in the East has really impressed me and I`m still going with my prediction that the Stanley Cup winner is going to come from the West this year.
By Demosthenes
Brio wrote:Looks like it has just been confirmed that Bryzgalov is out and Kuemper is in. Bad news for Colorado as Bryzgalov was letting in bad goals above the pad but below the blocker like they were going out of style, and Kuemper looked decent in the time he got in game 2.

I don't care how stupid Holmgren looks for signing that idiot in the first place, I am so glad he's gone I can't stand it. To be fair, he'd be fun to hang around IRL. I just don't want to be depending on him to actually stop 90 mph pucks heading for the net.

Brio wrote:If it makes you feel any better I am kind of rooting for them to win this series

A great choice! I am rooting for the Avs in the west just because I hate teams that wear green/Minnesota teams/everyone else except Anaheim and Flyers West. Other than a Stanley Cup Final against the Flyers it would be hard for me to root against Patrick Roy. It would be like rooting for the British to burn down Washington DC in 1812.

Brio wrote:Also, a Pens-Philly series is always a fun time, and if that were to happen I would be cheering for the Flyers again just because of Crybaby Crosby.

We live to crush the Penguins. If nothing else happens in the playoffs this year I would absolutely LOVE to beat those whiny crybabies once again. You'll note those assholes are the reason Mason is concussed as well.

We really, REALLY owe them one for that.

Brio wrote:Finally, Scotty Hartnell has some of the best and most hilarious hair in the NHL.

Scotty Hartnell wig night = The best fan appreciation day ever in any sport!!!

My own random playoff observations:

* There is nothing better than the anticipation of a playoff a game the next day. Especially coming off a win you didn't expect. Even if the game tomorrow is an absolute disgrace, savoring the anticipation of the night before is brilliant. Its not something pure US football fans know much about as NFL playoffs are once a week and that drains the anticipation until Friday-Saturday.

*If the Bruins find their groove they will take the east. Essentially if they survive round 1. I highly doubt Detroit can stop and this is a bad harbinger for those in Fly-Guy country. Let's hope I'm giving them too much credit.

Captain Sam wrote:Lucic

I hate "Blue Cheeks" with a passion. He is my new Stu Barnes. A fucking asshat that screwed us over in the playoffs every year we ever played him. Didn't matter if he was horrible for an entire season he would *magically* come alive in every series he ever played against us. Stu. Fucking. Barnes.

*St Louis is playing the Black Hawks better than I thought they would, although the margin of victory is razor thin, evidenced by all three games being decided by one goal with two overtime victories by the Blues. An Avs-Blues second round series would be an enjoyable watch (and a throw back to the 90s) for an Eastern Conference fan.

*90% of NFL announcers are completely full of shit and suck balls. In the NHL its about 80%. There are a couple announcers I really like, but most of them are complete dickheads. In particular are the MSG announcers who fawn over all things New York or New Jersey, but in particular Sam Rosen is a complete suck ass who uses "finesse" as a verb. As in "Giroux finessed that one by the defense..." Every time I hear him say that shit I want to airmail him a punch in the face.

Shitburger.

*Did I mention that I strongly dislike this playoff format?
By Brio
Speaking of cheapshot artists, the king of those invariably is Matt Cooke and he returned to form last night in Minnesota:

Tyson Barrie, Colorado`s best offensive defenseman (he had 13 goals this regular season) and Mr. Clutch (3 OT goals and 4 game winning goals) is now out 4-6 weeks with a torn MCL. With the huge amount of instances Matt Cooke has had of making blindside and knee-on-knee hits that injure players (and the long list of suspensions to go with it) I hope the NHL throws the book at him. This type of player should not be playing in the NHL. Period.

I also echo Roy`s after game thoughts and thought the hit should have received a 5 minute major and game misconduct (imagine if Cooke had gotten the OT winner), but the reffing was a bit suspect this game as Colorado was also robbed of a clear delay of game penalty for flipping the puck out over the glass with less than 2 minutes to go in a scoreless tie. Not to say that these penalties would have even mattered as the Colorado powerplay has been woeful these past few games (only PP goal they scored was an empty netter in Game 2). I also give full props to the Wild (minus Matt Cooke obviously) as they dominated Colorado throughout the game and the OT goal was a beauty of just sheer will and determination. I was a bit disappointed with most everyone on Colorado, save Semyon Varlamov who was just outstanding and the only reason the game was scoreless going into OT.

Hopefully, this is just a blip in the road and Colorado comes back to form in Game 4, but the whole losing Barrie for most of the playoffs (they already have Mitchell, Duchene and Tangauy out) will hurt a lot and left a terrible taste in my mouth, never mind the loss.

Wake me up when you have something to replace it.[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I love how everybody is rambling about printing m[…]

Also, the Russians are apparently not fans of Isra[…]

Wars still happen. And violent crime is blooming,[…]