2014 NFL Season Begins - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Sports, Hobbies and all things unrelated to Politics.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

I stand by Seattle as my pick, though Green Bay has a chance. You have to favor New England, but Indy has a smaller chance as well.
I didn't used to have a problem with the Seahawks, but all the bandwagon fans are annoying, so I want them to lose. I also hate the Pats.

Thus I hope for a Packers/Colts superbowl.

If I were a betting man I would pick the Seahawks to take the whole thing though.
I don't think the bandwagon is as big of a problem as people tend to think. I've always been a big Seattle fan, but mostly through my life there hasn't been a lot of reason to get amped. You watch the game until we're so hopelessly behind that we can't come back, and then turn it over to the Branco's game or something.

People are legitimately amped now, the old fans and the new that gravitate to something that's not painful to watch. I don't mind it, and I'm a little mystified why people get so upset about it.

I guess part of the reason I hate the Cowboys has to do with the fact that when they were winners people would bandwagon on them, but generally they're so garish on top of it. Telling everyone that they're, "America's Team," and whatnot. Green Bay can be a little annoying because there are people that bandwagon to them, but a lot of that is because they're from a small town and I kind of understand it.

I don't know. I guess I can see people being annoyed a little bit by a bandwagon effect, but people just get really pissed about it.

Though, I'm not even close to being objective...
No I get what you're saying too and its not that I really "hate" the seahawks. I just notice there is a huge fandom here in Anchorage that didn't use to be be here and it seems bandwagony. That said, the Hawks are a great team and they aren't my least favorite by any stretch.

I'm a Saints fan, so I'm out of the running anyway. Of the 4 teams playing I pick the Packers because I've always thought their community owned program was pretty neat.
Actually at this stage I'll root for the damn Seachickens myself. Better them than New England, Green Bay, or Indy.
Wow... big finish to the Fudge Packers-Seachickens game.

My cousin is such a big pussy, he was literally crying, and posting about how God has forsaken him because he didn't let the Packers win.

There is something primevally narcissistic about praying to God for wins from sports team, more so when you blame Him when they lose. I suspect my cousin has real mental problems.
Nah you totally deserved it since the Packers decided to shove their thumbs up their asses and give you the win.

I thought it was a terrible game honestly, both teams decided to play horribly in different halves.
The Packers kind of have a history of giving up in big games when they think they've already won.

Witness 4th and 26:

[youtube]IDAYrou25t8[/youtube]
By Jim4120
Red_Army wrote:Nah you totally deserved it since the Packers decided to shove their thumbs up their asses and give you the win.

Yeah, I think when you are ahead 19-7 with less than 3 minutes to play in the game, and end up losing, you deserved to lose.
People say that, but throwing four interceptions in a championship game generally means you should lose too.

We were both such good teams. I have no idea what kind of black magic was happening.

But we're through.

GO 'HAWKS!
By Jim4120
The Immortal Goon wrote:People say that, but throwing four interceptions in a championship game generally means you should lose too.

Indeed. But I'm going with the black magic explanation overall.
Well fuck the Patriots.
By Eauz
I called it! The Seachickens suck.
Yeah. It was disappointing, but I'm still amped we got that far. I laughed outloud at the reaction of the room we were in, because every fucker in there had been watching the Seahawks since middle school and it was like, "Well, what did you expect? We always lose..." Which isn't really true any more, but it has been true for so long.

It would have been nice to break into the big teams, as one of the more annoying aspects of being a team with a dismal record in the past is that most people flat out refuse to--not only take you seriously--but concede that anything was done right or proper at all. You're says the savage that the established teams gaffes at while at the banquet table.

But as mentioned, I'm guilty of that too. I love the Seahawks. I did when they were losers for thirty years; I did when we got to the Super Bowl eight years ago. I love them when they win; I still love them when they make a baffling call and all fall on their swords to take the blame themselves. And, unless they leave the Northwest, I'll love them still if they're shit or great next year.

It was a good game and I hate the cheating Patriots (because I always have); but I'm happy we had our day in the sun and still feel excited about next year.

Go Hawks!
By Eauz
The Immortal Goon wrote:I still love them when they make a baffling call

You know what, everyone seems to be obsessed with the how the wrong play was called, but from my understanding, their goal was to try and kill time on the clock so they could run it in and prevent any chance of NE scoring again. In the end, both teams played well, regardless if people who were not actually playing think the wrong play was called. Unless something really messed up happens with Seattle this off season, they will most likely be there again next year.
By Godstud
The last play of the game by Seattle, was a horrible mistake. They had the game if they'd stuck to running it in, instead of passing. Second down with 3 yards...
It's true they were trying to run out the clock, but if it was going to be a surprise pass, it should have been to one of the corners where there was less room for a pick.

Throwing it into the center of the maelstrom was just a reckless move.

But we have another shot. Some good teams coming up though, and the draft will help them. Also, Santa Clara is falling apart which is bad as our division will be weaker and it will be harder to train up from that.
Eauz wrote:You know what, everyone seems to be obsessed with the how the wrong play was called, but from my understanding, their goal was to try and kill time on the clock so they could run it in and prevent any chance of NE scoring again. In the end, both teams played well, regardless if people who were not actually playing think the wrong play was called. Unless something really messed up happens with Seattle this off season, they will most likely be there again next year.

Actually, I'm not sure if you know American Football well or not, some Canadians do, some don't. But what has been talked about was the issue that the clock was winding down. In AF, if you throw and incomplete pass it stops the game clock. If you run out of bounds, it does the same, but if you run the ball and are stopped in bounds it does not stop the game clock. It was 2nd down, and the clock was at around 20 seconds to play. If Seattle runs it there, and does miss the end zone they almost have to call that last time out, bringing the down to third, and almost guaranteeing a pass play to follow. Meaning it would be easier to defend because New England could sell out their defense based on a coming pass play. ESPN commentators have been offering up this defense, mediocre that it is, and it is actually reasonable under those circumstances.

The issues though are still twofold:

1)
The Immortal Goon wrote:It's true they were trying to run out the clock, but if it was going to be a surprise pass, it should have been to one of the corners where there was less room for a pick.

This.

2) Marshawn Lynch (The Seachicken RB) had all kinds of momentum going into the play. He was a beast all game, and was in complete and utter beast mode. This is the most baffling aspect, to be honest. From a game management standpoint the pass call wasn't as horrible as it looked at first glance, but in terms of "riding the hot hand" it was an absolutely unforgivable call. I'd be willing to bet that in 95/100 attempts, all things being equal, Lynch would have run that rock right into the end zone.

With Carroll as accomplished a coach as he is, I find it baffling that he couldn't see that. Their may be some small element at play of scoring too fast or something, but 20 seconds it hardly enough time to kick off and sustain any kind of game-tying field goal drive, and there is very little chance the Patriots could have succeded on what would have had to have been back-to-back hail marys. (Presumably one from about their own 20 yard line, and a second from around either the 50 yard line, or if lucky, Seattle's 40).

Everybody is a little bit mixed.

There are some here who are applying for permanen[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

So if they are disarming the Ukrainian army why i[…]

The IDF did not raid the hospital until February 1[…]