Passive cooling a house during the heat wave - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Sports, Hobbies and all things unrelated to Politics.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

This is northern Europe, where temperatures are warmer than normal, and the rise seems to be a year-on-year trend.

My wife is flatly refusing to allow ceiling fans because they remind her of a grandma's house, and is resisting air conditioning because that's overreacting. Instead she wants industrial-looking upright aluminium fans with uncomfortably focussed blasts of air, presumably so she can chuck them in autumn. It seems we aren't agreeing on any form of active cooling.

Aside from opening windows, is there a kind passive cooling option that we have missed?
I am writing this post because it is too hot to sleep.

In most Asian countries they turn on the air conditioning when temperatures get as high as they are now.

Unfortunately in Europe people seem to want to endure and suffer through the summer months.

Air conditioning is needed for a good night's sleep in hot climates. In Asia anyone who can afford it will turn it on when they can.
Political Interest wrote:I am writing this post because it is too hot to sleep.

In most Asian countries they turn on the air conditioning when temperatures get as high as they are now.

Unfortunately in Europe people seem to want to endure and suffer through the summer months.

Air conditioning is needed for a good night's sleep in hot climates. In Asia anyone who can afford it will turn it on when they can.

Your body can adapt to heat. It cannot adapt to rapid changes between hot and cold. I have lived in Asia for more than a decade and never had air conditioning at home. Now I live in a rammed earth building, in which I feel comfortable even when outside temperatures exceed 40 degrees C.
Atlantis wrote:Your body can adapt to heat.

Smithsonian wrote:As some early humans adapted to hot climates, they evolved narrow bodies that helped them stay cool ... When early humans spread to colder climates, their body shapes evolved in ways that helped them stay warm. Short, wide bodies conserved heat ... As early humans spread to different environments, they evolved body shapes that helped them survive in hot and cold climates. Changing diets also led to changes in body shape.

We can all become accustomed to a temperature, but our arm lengths and body shapes etc. are evolutionary traits that give us an advantage in one specific climate. The death rate increases in Europe during heat waves, and the victims are weaker individuals, which does not change the fact that their bodies failed due to the heat.
mikema63 wrote:Giant blocks of ice in bowls set around the house.

The first Florida hospital used that approach, and the modern incarnation is http://www.frenger.co.uk/products/product-overview.html

The manufactured systems are probably just as a much an "overreaction" as conventional air conditioning, so I may covertly try combining... oh no, actually that might work. I'll come back to this thread after a DIY test.
Glen wrote:We can all become accustomed to a temperature, but our arm lengths and body shapes etc. are evolutionary traits that give us an advantage in one specific climate. The death rate increases in Europe during heat waves, and the victims are weaker individuals, which does not change the fact that their bodies failed due to the heat.

It is normal for weak people to die under stress. However, that doesn't mean you should avoid stress all your life. It's just a matter of knowing what level of stress your body can deal with. In fact, avoiding stress altogether will make your body grow weak. Just as it is healthy to break a sweat once in a while it is healthy to expose your body to the summer heat. In Chinese medicine, each season is related to an organ. Summer is related to the heart. The Summer's heat invigorates the heart.

Air-conditioning is evil.
My solution is to put your feet in some water. Have a nice fan blowing. If you have a cooler with ice in it, toss some in the water every now and then. I've survived some 40 C days doing this.

A metal pot with ice/water in it works great, too.

It is implausible that the IDF could not or would[…]

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]

@JohnRawls What if your assumption is wrong??? […]

There is no reason to have a state at all unless w[…]