Sumo - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Sports, Hobbies and all things unrelated to Politics.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By ness31
I just read in another thread that Bulaba is Mongolian and that lit a bulb in my brain!

Japan recently had its first native sumo champion in 19 years after being dominated by the Mongols and the other raiders for so long..

Yay for Japan. Let's all drink some delicious sake and celebrate :)

My interest in sumo stems from when I visited Japan and had the honour of actually going to a live match and seeing it! I was pretty impressed with the dudes parading through the stadium; and they were like gods to an adoring public.

Anyone else like Sumo?
By ThirdTerm
Sumo wrestling is generally only popular among the elderly and some female fanatics among the Japanese. The Abe government is trying to lure more foreign visitors by exploiting sumo's popularity and sumo has gone bilingual, translating sumo jargon into English. Mongorian wrestlers dominate the sport but they are treated like their own as they are very fluent in Japanese and more familiar with the ancient Japanese tradition than the Japanese. On the surface, it's hard to tell the difference.

By ness31
So cynical :|

Well, it didn't need to "go bilingual" as it can hold its own as a spectacle. You're right about it being hard to tell the difference between the Mongols and the Japanese though..

I find it pretty interesting when one of the smaller guys outmanoeuvres one of the giants.. :)
By Michaellog
what does it take to be a sumo wrestler?
is it being really really fat?
is it being strong?
or just having a bold impression?
By Philby
All

Oh, so now you don't believe Amit Soussana, @Pant[…]

Oh please post those too :lol: Very obvious p[…]

No, it does not. It is governed by the rather vagu[…]

@KurtFF8 Litwin wages a psyops war here but we[…]