McGregor vs Mayweather - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Sports, Hobbies and all things unrelated to Politics.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

Rancid wrote:Am I the only person that thinks it's kind of weird that they always refer to the prize money for a fight as "the purse."

"Purse" originally meant a cache of money without any particular gender associations. Then someone invented a fancy kind of purse especially adapted for holding the new fangled paper notes and plastic cards which was called a wallet.

Males being always the first to pounce on these new fancy gadgets became eager wallet adopters whilst the ladies persisted with simple bags, "purses", for holding money for quite some time. So then developed the stereotype that wallets are for men and purses are for women.

In sporting jargon they are simply using the legacy meaning of purse, a cache of money.
By MB.
A purser is someone who controls the logistics aboard a ship or in a business. When ships returned to port they were "paid off" which meant the purser distributed the wages owed to the crew. Hence to fight for "the purse" means simply to get paid.
MB. wrote:A purser is someone who controls the logistics aboard a ship or in a business. When ships returned to port they were "paid off" which meant the purser distributed the wages owed to the crew. Hence to fight for "the purse" means simply to get paid.

Right but he is called a purse -er because he is the bloke with the purse, duh.

Etymology: Old English pursa "little bag made of leather," especially for carrying money.
SolarCross wrote:"Purse" originally meant a cache of money without any particular gender associations. Then someone invented a fancy kind of purse especially adapted for holding the new fangled paper notes and plastic cards which was called a wallet.

Males being always the first to pounce on these new fancy gadgets became eager wallet adopters whilst the ladies persisted with simple bags, "purses", for holding money for quite some time. So then developed the stereotype that wallets are for men and purses are for women.

In sporting jargon they are simply using the legacy meaning of purse, a cache of money.

Women have fancier "purses" today than men. Is that fair?
Hindsite wrote:Women have fancier "purses" today than men. Is that fair?

They certainly have bigger purses, but then they don't just carry their money in it but also all sorts of other junk like warpaint, vaginal bleeding bandages, spare jewelry, photo albums, pharmaceutical supplies and handguns.
SolarCross wrote:They certainly have bigger purses, but then they don't just carry their money in it but also all sorts of other junk like warpaint, vaginal bleeding bandages, spare jewelry, photo albums, pharmaceutical supplies and handguns.

Yeah, I guess that makes it fair. HalleluYah.
Lol, he cracks me up. Sure ting mate, we'll all just customise duration and rules to you shall we :lol: funny mofo..

Palestinian armed groups in Gaza do have a history[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

^ His lies are creative at least, I'll give him th[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

^ I shared the Sachs and Meirsheimer videos in her[…]

Hmmm, it the Ukraine aid package is all over mains[…]