NFL Overtime Rule - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Sports, Hobbies and all things unrelated to Politics.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By 4cal
I cannot figure out why the rule isn’t more emblematic of the previous 60 minutes. Just play a 10 minute quarter, each team gets 2 TO, one challenge. Whoever is ahead at the end of 10 minutes wins.

Seems like it is the best solution that creates the least amount of “what if’s”?
By Rancid
4cal wrote:I cannot figure out why the rule isn’t more emblematic of the previous 60 minutes. Just play a 10 minute quarter, each team gets 2 TO, one challenge. Whoever is ahead at the end of 10 minutes wins.

Seems like it is the best solution that creates the least amount of “what if’s”?

I agree. If your team couldn't put the game away during regulation time, then overtime needs to be short an swift. Whoever's ahead, wins. Done and done.
I don't really understand why they changed from the sudden death rules to begin with. I do not remember anyone clamoring back then to change the rules or bitching about sudden-death. The rules were the rules and they made sense and such rules created unique challenges whether you won the coin toss or not.
By 4cal
Rancid wrote:I agree. If your team couldn't put the game away during regulation time, then overtime needs to be short an swift. Whoever's ahead, wins. Done and done.

Well, 10 minutes with 4 time outs isn’t exactly swift…the paradigm should be that what decides the game should resemble the game itself or be as close to it as possible. They do what now, give each team the ball once and depending on how you score, you could win the game or if they tie you then it become sudden death??? Just play a shorter quarter bringing all of the factors into the game; offense, defense, clock management, fatigue, injuries, etc….
By 4cal
Victoribus Spolia wrote:I don't really understand why they changed from the sudden death rules to begin with. I do not remember anyone clamoring back then to change the rules or bitching about sudden-death. The rules were the rules and they made sense and such rules created unique challenges whether you won the coin toss or not.

I hated sudden death because if you won the coin flip, you pretty much won the game. But at least it was straightforward and both sides understood that if you didn’t take care of business in the 4 quarters, you were leaving it up to the coin flip to determine the winner.
4cal wrote: But at least it was straightforward and both sides understood that if you didn’t take care of business in the 4 quarters, you were leaving it up to the coin flip to determine the winner.

This is true, and to add to this, I think it should be noted that games are won partly by the ability of one's defense to prevent plays. So, I don't think losing the coin toss is an excuse for losing in a sudden-death game. Stopping your opponent in OT is just that more important at that point and the fact that such is your burden was determined by chance and could have easily been the other-way-around.

Like I said, I just don't think dropping sudden death was necessary, nor do I think the new approach guarantees better or more fair results any more than the old system did.
The problem with true sudden death is that the first team to get possession can just play to get within field goal range. It rewards them for unadventurous "OK, but not great" play. Giving the other team one chance to get even with similar play (or win by going for a TD) decreases the chance of a coin toss and one ho-hum drive deciding it.
By 4cal
Prosthetic Conscience wrote:The problem with true sudden death is that the first team to get possession can just play to get within field goal range. It rewards them for unadventurous "OK, but not great" play. Giving the other team one chance to get even with similar play (or win by going for a TD) decreases the chance of a coin toss and one ho-hum drive deciding it.

I know. What I do not understand is that the previous hour of football didn't have any "sudden death" stipulation. Why change it to such a drastically different system when the game is on the line? It's like deciding a tied basketball game by playing H-O-R-S-E.

It is implausible that the IDF could not or would[…]

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]

@JohnRawls What if your assumption is wrong??? […]

There is no reason to have a state at all unless w[…]