2018 FIFA World Cup - Page 8 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Sports, Hobbies and all things unrelated to Politics.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Red_Army
That doesn't explain why they call it a penalty kick as a tie breaker that didn't involve penalties. I brought up hockey because like soccer they have penalty shots and shootouts.
By Beren
Red_Army wrote:Why do they call it a penalty at the end? It's just called a shootout in hockey and they have in-game penalty shots.

It's also called spot kick. In Hungary we rather call it 11 kick, or simply 11, because the penalty spot is 11 metres away from the goal line.
By Rancid
Red_Army wrote:That doesn't explain why they call it a penalty kick as a tie breaker that didn't involve penalties. I brought up hockey because like soccer they have penalty shots and shootouts.

If you commit a foul within the 18 yard box, you get a penalty kick. This box is also called the penalty box. "shootout" kicks are taken from the same location as penalty kicks. Which is probably why they call it penalty kicks.
By Rancid
Red_Army wrote:That is also fairly reasonable, but it does strike me as odd not to just call it a shootout.

Yea, I don't know.

These kicks are also called "PKs" (Pee-Kays) for short.

"The game ended with PKs." for example.
By Beren
Shootouts were not part of the game originally, so the problem didn't always exist because only penalties existed. However, when they introduced shootouts they didn't change the name I guess, although you can call it spot kick too.
By Rancid
I feel like PKs are basically a crap shoot for the teams. You never want the game to go to PKs. It's as good as flipping a coin.
By Red_Army
It seems worse than flipping a coin. The goalie just has to guess and dive up or down in 2 directions.

In hockey PK is a penalty kill, when you get through a penalty without giving up a goal to the man advantage. I think they should just have sudden death overtime. The NHL does that, but olympic hockey also has the shootout and its just a bummer way to end a really good game like that one.
By Rancid
I agree that it should be sudden death.

In soccer parlance that is called a golden goal.
By ness31
anarchist23 wrote:
England vs Croatia on Wednesday.

Should be an alright match if the Croatians swollen egos can make it through the stadium doors :roll:
By AFAIK
There's a significant advantage to going first in PKs because the other team is constantly one behind. Some people suggest mixing up the order to balance it out so the first team takes one shot then the other team takes 2.
By Decky
I caught the second half of England-Sweeden in the pub after work. Everyone was very drunk and singing anti German songs (ten German bombers etc) for some reason. :) It made me happy.

Three Lions 98 Version

We still believe, we still believe
we still believe

Its coming home,
Its coming home, its coming
Footballs coming home

Tears for heroes dressed in grey
No plans for final day
Stay in bed, drift away
It could have been all
Songs in the street
It was nearly complete
It was nearly so sweet
And now Im singing

Three lions on the shirt
Jules Rimet still gleaming
No more years of hurt
No more need for dreaming

Talk about football coming home
And then one night in Rome
We were strong, we had grown
And now I see Ince ready for war
Gazza good as before
Shearer certain to score
And Psycho screaming

Three lions on the shirt
Jules Rimet still gleaming
No more years of hurt
No more need for dreaming

We can dance Nobbys dance
We could dance it in France

Its coming home, its coming home,
Footballs coming home

By ness31
I got confused with the times and totally missed the France vs Belgium final :|
By Albert
ness31 wrote:I got confused with the times and totally missed the France vs Belgium final :|
You did not miss much, it was a mediocre game.
By Crantag
Belgium was a proper dark horse of the tournament, but France has been the best looking side all along.

Russia did England a lot of favors. They couldn't ultimately beat Croatia, though they came close. That would have given England an easier semi-final.

England should beat Croatia, and then lose to France.

Wake me up when you have something to replace it.[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I love how everybody is rambling about printing m[…]

Also, the Russians are apparently not fans of Isra[…]

Wars still happen. And violent crime is blooming,[…]