All purpose MMA thread - Page 116 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Sports, Hobbies and all things unrelated to Politics.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

I guess, but I think he's got it. Bisping is obviously trying to make Rockhold emotional going into this fight, because he knows that he could very well get his ass kicked. Tried and true tactic, but it seems like Rockhold is keeping his head level and not falling for all the bait. At the beginning of their back n forths it seemed like Luke was getting a little flustered, but since that Jon Anik interview between the both of them, I think he's showing that all this shit talking really doesn't faze him.
Yeah, I think Rockhold is the next contender for the belt after more than likely beating Bisping. Let's not forget he's already beat Jacare (who's supposed to be next after Belfort - who's not beating Weidman IMO). He should've fought Machida, but the Bisping bad blood needs to be settled I guess.

Despite the unforgettable....

TRT Vitor vs Luke UFC debut jitters in Brazil was a recipe for disaster.
Eh, I'm not on the Belfort bashing bandwagon. I think he's one of the greatest of all time, and the biggest veteran in the sport right now (longest career? one of the only PRIDE guys left, and not to mention fighting for the UFC as early as their 12th event in '97 - winning the heavyweight championship - and now he's fighting for the middleweight championship at UFC 184 in 2014). Dude is a beast, and should always be remembered as such. Even if he was just that much more beastly on TRT.
By Godstud
True enough, although they do catch most of the guys on steroids.
The Clockwork Rat wrote:He was probably always on TRT or steroids. Unless we are to accept PEDs and TRT as part of the sport we shouldn't idolise those whose careers were so dependent on them.

Um, no... Don't you remember how big of a deal people were making about his body before and after he got on TRT legally. He certainly wasn't "always on" TRT.

As far as steroids go. His only scandal was with Pride, and apparently according to an endocrinologist that was giving him post-surgery rehab injections, they contained testosterone without his knowledge. So I don't think we can go straight to saying that he was "always on" steroids intentionally.
Last edited by Solastalgia on 29 Oct 2014 15:05, edited 4 times in total.
The Clockwork Rat wrote:There has been a recent trend towards actually cracking down on PED use by using more effective testing methods and a less predictable testing regimen.

Right, like with Cung Le. He's one of the guys that really and truly did look like he was on PEDs, but the UFC fucked up BIG TIME with their testing and now he's getting vindicated (whether or not he was truly on PEDs).

The Clockwork Rat wrote:Before GSP incited the UFC to do so, it was only the foolish who got caught.

Bahahah. GSP didn't get the UFC to do jack shit besides laugh at him and call his comments ridiculous.
http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/1/15/53 ... he-said-is
Perhaps Belfort wasn't always jacking, but he was caught early and late in his career. It doesn't seem to be an attitude that left him. Cung Le on the other hand got screwed by the UFC trying to organise the testing themselves rather than get an experienced commission to deal with it, primarily because there wasn't one over there. One might hope that they've learned from their mistake and get their acts together for future overseas endeavours.

It's also entirely possible that the UFC just so coincidentally ramped up testing once GSP starting commenting on the issue. Maybe it wasn't GSP himself, but other people who took notice once GSP started talking. Who knows? Who cares?
By Godstud
oxymoron wrote:So a Wooman almost got her ear knocked off, disgusting hope this speeds up the end of Womens MMA on main cards. I would wish for total end of womens mma.
What an asshole comment. This incident could have happened just as easily with a male. Cauliflower ears is a problem with some fighters, male AND female, if they are fighters. It's simply an accident. It was stopped and she'll probably keep the ear, whereas if she'd kept fighting, she might have lost it.

This has nothing to do with a female's fitness to fight in the MMA, and I hope your stupid wish never comes to pass(I highly doubt it will). Women's MMA is entertaining, they are skilled, and it's professional.
On lighter notes, that main card had some great moments and some interesting results. Werdum's setting up of that knee was perfect; attempt a half-hearted takedown, fake another to draw Hunt's head down and bring up a solid knee to meet him. As some commentators mentioned, however, Hunt may have made an even better show if he'd had a good few months preparation instead of just the one - much of which would have been spent simply working on his weight and cardio rather than preparing specifically for his opponent.

Gastelum continues to look one of the best prospects to come out of TUF. Whilst he has a hell of a lot of potential - what with being a ranked fighter in one of the toughest divisions and still only 23 - he'll need to work on not blocking punches with his face. He's got all the time in the world to get a belt, so suffering a couple of decision losses would be a small price to pay for a longer career and maintaining his neurological health.
By Godstud
Saw the UFC Fight Night.... finally.

Welterweight Jouban was robbed vs. Alvez. he put up a great fight and should have gotten the win. Still, he's going to only get better. Sometimes I think those judges are highly biased. Brazilian gets a distinct advantage in Brazil. Shouldn't be the case.

Saw the fight where the woman got her ear mangled. It was a good fight up until that fight-stopping injury. I don't think oxymoron is capable of making an objective view on women's MMA.
By Crantag
OneFC is far and away my favorite MMA promotion going right now. The fact that they run shows with English commentary is a big plus.

The so-called 'unified rules' which now prevail in North American MMA have completely degraded the competition format in my opinion. This applies to the in-fight rules as well as the judging criteria.

I strongly suggest giving OneFC a look if you are a combat sports fan and haven't done so yet.
By Godstud
I'm not always impressed with the judging criteria, but then UFC has an immense pool of skilled competitors. One can hardly call that a degradation of competition. I'd say they just need to reassess the merits of their judging.
By Crantag
Godstud wrote:I'm not always impressed with the judging criteria, but then UFC has an immense pool of skilled competitors. One can hardly call that a degradation of competition. I'd say they just need to reassess the merits of their judging.

I said the 'degradation of the competition format'.

I intentionally used the phrase 'competition format' instead of sport, because I don't really consider MMA a sport, though especially not unified rules MMA.

The alleged 'immense pool of skilled competitors' is irrelevant to my point.

Leftists have often and openly condemned the Octo[…]

Yes, It is illegal in the US if you do not declar[…]

Though you accuse many people ("leftists&quo[…]

Chimps are very strong too Ingliz. In terms of fo[…]