What is materialism? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For the discussion of Philosophy. Discuss thought from Socrates to the Enlightenment and beyond!

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be debated in this forum, but those of religious belief who specifically wish to avoid threads being derailed by atheist arguments might prefer to use the Spirituality forum.
By Gabriel Parks
Lately I have been in some pretty intense conversations about the definition of materialism. Being a Marxist and coming from the existentialist position, I believe that materialism as a philosophy was meant to imply that material existence preceeds and molds the existence of ideas. However a friend of mine has informed me that this is a misguided interpretation and that materialism is meant to refer to the belief that their is only one kind of substance in the world, that of physical material, and that everything including ideas, etc. are manifested in this subsatnce and not in another substance. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I will gladly double down on th[a]t. So after sa[…]

America gives disproportionate power to 20% of th[…]

World War II Day by Day

Yes, we can thank this period in Britain--and Orw[…]

This is a story about a woman who was denied adequ[…]