Philosophy of Time Proves Morality Is Real - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For the discussion of Philosophy. Discuss thought from Socrates to the Enlightenment and beyond!

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be debated in this forum, but those of religious belief who specifically wish to avoid threads being derailed by atheist arguments might prefer to use the Spirituality forum.
I've been reading a couple of books on this overlap lately, and it's a serious idea that deserves merit: https://www.bloomsbury.com/us/the-ethic ... 474299169/
https://www.springer.com/us/book/9781402013126

The point ultimately is morality comes from our consideration towards potential events beyond what's actualized. If we deny this, then we deny the value of the future, how the past exists despite how we don't know everything about it, and the capacity for alternate feasible timelines.

After all, just because we live in a timeline doesn't mean we live in the timeline. There's a difference between singular and unified thought.

The problem in discussing this is not the truth of the matter but rather the social politics of the matter. People compromise on understanding the entirety of time because they exploit sufficient understandings of it before complete understandings of it. After all, time takes attention to understand, and the less you can understand it while grasping greater yields, the better.

This isn't a thought process that only exploiters of understanding utilize either. Those genuinely curious apply it too because they know there's always more to understand out there, so they want to investigate the most valuable branches and roots of time's nature.

The difference between exploiters and investigators is exploiters accuse others of being utopian to disguise their own utopianism while putting the accused on the defensive and exposing them to false convictions which they have to defend about.

Investigators, on the other hand, are genuinely committed towards understanding the reality of how time flows in order to figure out how to use it. They have real applications in mind, but know that to execute those application, ideas must be grasped to execute them.

When we understand these ideas, we call this understanding morality due to the unpredictable chaos of reality. That chaos must be ordered or else our efforts go splat in vain...

...but exploiters don't care about this. They're motivated by drama. They love the uncertainty and how it harms real people.

Until we admit that morality is real via philosophy of time, this exploitation will continue.
I am not sure I followed you at all. Are you saying by agreeing to a morality we make the future predictable?
I would agree this is true, but I don’t know what it accomplishes.
This isn't about agreement or predictability.

It's about how understanding morality is fundamentally grounded in our sense of time.

Time is real, so morality is real.

Even if we don't understand time, morality will still exist in reality. It's up to us to decide whether to admit to it or not just as much as we admit time exists in physics.

The difference is how with people, there are many possible timelines which can follow from our behavior. We call this free will. Yes, there are limits to free will given our constraints (humans don't have wings so we can't fly, we don't have gills so we can't breathe underwater, etc.) but our capacity to see many possible outcomes allows us to choose which potential timeline to actualize.

This becomes more complex when dealing with interactions among people in anticipating each other's behavior and becoming concerned about defection versus cooperation. Still, these complexities exist. We shouldn't jump to conclusions in presuming people will defect or cooperate (or that just because people behave a certain way right now means their intent is to defect or cooperate into the future).

The problem is we seem to live in a world where many people choose to be cynical fatalists, so they create a vicious cycle of self-fulfilling prophecies of defection. They refuse to appreciate the potential of time, so the result is the sabotage of potential just to actualize what's sufficient to function. The pursuit of excellence gets destroyed by others who want to live in the moment.

We see this both among egalitarians and anti-elitists who refuse to leave other people alone when they're reflecting before experimenting on how to make things happen.

The result is a boring society that decays over time from being predictable instead of adaptable.
Ah, I can understand this I believe. I too think our problems are due to being short sighted and not thinking about where the paths lead to in the future. I never thought of it as morality, but I guess that fits.

Can any human institution truly stand in judgment[…]

Here's another one: The Arctic has been warmer ov[…]

My guess is you're more powerful than her so can […]

What we need is asylum centers in the U.S. Put fol[…]