Is Three a 'Magic' Number? - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For the discussion of Philosophy. Discuss thought from Socrates to the Enlightenment and beyond!

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be debated in this forum, but those of religious belief who specifically wish to avoid threads being derailed by atheist arguments might prefer to use the Spirituality forum.
By Besoeker
RhetoricThug wrote:Or 1 or 2 or e.

Just being pragmatic.

Agree. Euler didn't just lubricate moving parts............

You could say that about any number - or numbers in general.
If any one is "magic" then they all are or none is.

Care to explain how?

Of course I am.

And a lot of other things besides.

Let's replace Besoeker with a chatbot. :roll: We'd get the same result.

In case it had escaped your attention and formidable intellect, this thread is not about me flattering though it might be receive all those accolades.
By Besoeker
RhetoricThug wrote:"Pythagorean triples" are integer solutions to the Pythagorean Theorem, a2 + b2 = c2. I like "triplets," but "triples" seems to be the favored term. For a right triangle, the c side is the hypotenuse, the side opposite the right angle.[/i]

Interesting that one.
I presume you mean a^2 + b^2 = c^2. School geometry.
There's an interesting example of the right angle triangle where the two shorter sides are one unit long. The hypotenuse is sqrt(2). That can't even be written as a rational number - nor any multiple or sub multiple of the "magic" three.
But, OK. Three terms. Does that make it magical? Really??

You could make the same point about a quadratic equation. That has the "magic" three unknowns.

Or the Reliant Robin being a magic car...........or my car steering wheel having a magic number of spokes.

Can't you see how really silly this is?
Lexington wrote:I'd say elegant over magical.

It's like having a toolbox, a problem, and set of screws.
Nice analogy, Lexington. :up: Furthermore, I said: If you treat our physical world or natural phenomena as encrypted data, the number 3 is like a master key. The number 3 may unlock other numbers and data sets, because some tools are more important than others. The number three can help you screw things together.

Besoeker wrote:The examples of symmetry abound. If you draw, for example, a three sided figure. Usually called a triangle. That incorporates the "magic" number three.
Make it an isosceles triangle and is an example of symmetry about an axis drawn from the apex of the two equal sides and bisecting the third. Nothing macic about it. Just simple geometry.

There are countless examples of symmetry in pretty much all fields. Nature, archictecture, science, mathematics, engineering. No magic involved.
Sure, you're telling me about observable patterns we can verify through human cognition (I meant symmetry and supersymmetry in physics, in physics, the concept that the properties of particles such as atoms and molecules remain unchanged after being subjected to a variety of symmetry transformations or “operations.” Since the earliest days of natural philosophy (Pythagoras in the 6th century bc), symmetry has furnished insight into the laws of physics and the nature of the cosmos. The two outstanding theoretical achievements of the 20th century, relativity and quantum mechanics, involve notions of symmetry in a fundamental way.[1]). Nonetheless, These patterns are extensions of human attention and intention, therefore the magic is not in the numbers, which like I said: The real magic is in our consciousness, not in the number or letter, and Potemkin reworded with some spice (variety is...): it is the relationships between numbers which is 'magical', not the numbers themselves. may be forms created through the mind/matter interface. The mind/matter interface is magical, and the cognitive patterns are elegant.

The real magic is in our consciousness, not in the number or letter. We gain power over material reality through our native interface (sensory resonance) by constructing cognitive patterns. Nonetheless, quantities and qualities or numbers and letters appear as natural phenomena in the all-at-once world (simultaneous happening/experience) we call reality.

Through conscious extension of human cognition, 3 is a magic number.

See, I'm familiar with nuance, and since modern science (neurosciences, etc) does not offer one satisfactory explanation concerning human consciousness, I can safely use the word magic to describe sensory resonance. Human consciousness = supernatural force.

In case it had escaped your attention and formidable intellect, this thread is not about me flattering though it might be receive all those accolades.
What? :lol:

Interesting that one.
I presume you mean a^2 + b^2 = c^2. School geometry.
There's an interesting example of the right angle triangle where the two shorter sides are one unit long. The hypotenuse is sqrt(2). That can't even be written as a rational number - nor any multiple or sub multiple of the "magic" three.
But, OK. Three terms. Does that make it magical? Really??

You could make the same point about a quadratic equation. That has the "magic" three unknowns.

Or the Reliant Robin being a magic car...........or my car steering wheel having a magic number of spokes.

Can't you see how really silly this is?
Oh boy, you're clearly not ready for this debate. I've stated why I think three is a magical number over and over again. Furthermore, why didn't you post one reply, are you trying to be funny because third time's a charm? :eh:

Thought I'd expand on a few things... Science is a tool, not a way of life. Science tells you what is probable, science doesn't tell you what is real. Consciousness synchronization is a spooky thing. Consider Wave function collapse: In quantum mechanics, wave function collapse is said to occur when a wave function—initially in a superposition of several eigenstates—appears to reduce to a single eigenstate (by "observation").

Consistent with Heisenberg, von Neumann postulated that there were two processes of wave function change:

1.The probabilistic, non-unitary, non-local, discontinuous change brought about by observation and measurement, as outlined above.
2.The deterministic, unitary, continuous time evolution of an isolated system that obeys the Schrödinger equation (or a relativistic equivalent, i.e. the Dirac equation).

In general, quantum systems exist in superpositions of those basis states that most closely correspond to classical descriptions, and, in the absence of measurement, evolve according to the Schrödinger equation. However, when a measurement is made, the wave function collapses—from an observer's perspective—to just one of the basis states, and the property being measured uniquely acquires the eigenvalue of that particular state, λ i. After the collapse, the system again evolves according to the Schrödinger equation.[2]

A macroscopic system (such as a cat) may evolve over time into a superposition of classically distinct quantum states (such as "alive" and "dead"). However, the state of the cat is entangled with the state of its environment (for instance, the molecules in the atmosphere surrounding it). If one averages over the quantum states of the environment - a physically reasonable procedure unless the quantum state of all the particles making up the environment can be controlled or measured precisely - the resulting mixed quantum state for the cat is very close to a classical probabilistic state where the cat has some definite probability to be dead or alive, just as a classical observer would expect in this situation [3]

How can you not see the new math (quantum dialectic) for its practical & transcendental qualities? Quantum mechanics (micro systems) produce the [1010] instead of 1...0...1...0, we're augmenting and evolving away from linear logic (mechanistic causality). Quantum computations simultaneously simulate 1 & 0 (dialectical tension) to produce solutions to natural & man-made problems. Do you understand how that may abolish natural dialectical tension as one cognitive pattern within our material world? We can use quantum mechanics to solve and build macro-system equations thus we may mathematical build cognitive patterns for the program we call civilization (civilized awareness). Society (socioeconomic schematic) is now a programmable (technological Darwinism) construct. Ecological systems operate through hierarchical dialectical tension, and humans can calculate (deconstruct/reconstruct) new chains of association using quantum dialectic. Our material world is now one calculable layer of experience (epidermis of reality), and we can program its mechanistic causality. Is that not the end goal of tools and technology as an extension of ourselves? BTW, if the medium is not the mass-age, why do our cosmologies evolve alongside technological invention/discovery? -RT

Of course, I thought big bad PHD Potemkin would comment on a few of my threads, especially when I challenged his archaic macroscopic dialectical assumptions. Consciousness is a supernatural force, we can use it to intelligently guide our evolution. Everything we 'know' is a product of applied consciousness. Consciousness is the medium and the medium is the message, we may intelligently influence the undivided-whole while moving through time/space (Let's pilot the wave ;) ).

[1] The Editors of Encyclopædia Britannica. "Symmetry." Encyclopædia Britannica. Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc., 20 July 2006. Web. 14 Jan. 2017. https://www.britannica.com/science/symmetry-physics.

[2]"Wave Function Collapse." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, n.d. Web. 14 Jan. 2017. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_function_collapse.

[3] "Quantum superposition." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, n.d. Web. 14 Jan. 2017.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_superposition
Last edited by RhetoricThug on 15 Jan 2017 04:18, edited 3 times in total.
Is it a coincidence that OCD has three letters? I think not. :eh:
jakell wrote:I must admit to being impressed by this forum. Several members seem to be 'on to' Besoeker's routine, which has been almost impenetrable (or at least produced a stalemate) in other environments.

Even RT here has resisted the urge to direct another stream of consciousness at him. Signs of continence maybe where I had originally perceived a dearth of it.

RhetoricThug wrote:You're impressed by one-line posts? By stalemate, do you mean lack of engagement?

I'm impressed by what could be called measured responses, however one would choose to qualify/quantify them, especially from those who have previously appeared to be incapable or simply unwilling to engage with parity.

You will recall my last communication to you was on these matters, and I'm only responding to you now you because of signs to the contrary. As a token of mutual self respect I'm going to ask something of you, and it's quite simple... as I made this thread, I would like you to refrain from altering the title in any way from now on (I had to paste it back in here).
Admin Notes: "Oh dear" is the very definition of a worthless one-liner. if you post a or the same one-liner again, your post will not just get deleted you will receive a penalty as well.

See forum Rules 6 and 15.

Admin Notes-You must acquaint yourself with the forum rules of this community:

Forum Moderation Policy wrote:When posts are deleted for spam or being off-topic: Members should not expect any notification, though one might be given anyway. Spam might include posts consisting of virtually no content (e.g. only emoticons), posts violating forum rule 10 or posts designed to disrupt the forum by trying to flood it with irrelevant or inappropriate content.

Please note: It is never appropriate to discuss or debate moderator actions within the topic the action occurred or other topics elsewhere on the forum. Such posts take threads off-topic and as such will be removed. Topics relating to moderation should only be made in Appeals forum.

And "oh dear" is not a post.
Last edited by noemon on 15 Jan 2017 20:42, edited 2 times in total.
RhetoricThug wrote:Nice analogy, Lexington. :up: Furthermore, I said: If you treat our physical world or natural phenomena as encrypted data, the number 3 is like a master key. The number 3 may unlock other numbers and data sets, because some tools are more important than others. The number three can help you screw things together.

Sure, you're telling me about observable patterns we can verify through human cognition (I meant symmetry and supersymmetry in physics, in physics, the concept that the properties of particles such as atoms and molecules remain unchanged after being subjected to a variety of symmetry transformations or “operations.” Since the earliest days of natural philosophy (Pythagoras in the 6th century bc), symmetry has furnished insight into the laws of physics and the nature of the cosmos. The two outstanding theoretical achievements of the 20th century, relativity and quantum mechanics, involve notions of symmetry in a fundamental way.[1]). Nonetheless, These patterns are extensions of human attention and intention, therefore the magic is not in the numbers, which like I said: The real magic is in our consciousness, not in the number or letter, and Potemkin reworded with some spice (variety is...): it is the relationships between numbers which is 'magical', not the numbers themselves. may be forms created through the mind/matter interface. The mind/matter interface is magical, and the cognitive patterns are elegant.

The real magic is in our consciousness, not in the number or letter. We gain power over material reality through our native interface (sensory resonance) by constructing cognitive patterns. Nonetheless, quantities and qualities or numbers and letters appear as natural phenomena in the all-at-once world (simultaneous happening/experience) we call reality.

Through conscious extension of human cognition, 3 is a magic number.

See, I'm familiar with nuance, and since modern science (neurosciences, etc) does not offer one satisfactory explanation concerning human consciousness, I can safely use the word magic to describe sensory resonance. Human consciousness = supernatural force.

What? :lol:

Oh boy, you're clearly not ready for this debate. I've stated why I think three is a magical number over and over again. Furthermore, why didn't you post one reply, are you trying to be funny because third time's a charm? :eh:

Thought I'd expand on a few things... Science is a tool, not a way of life. Science tells you what is probable, science doesn't tell you what is real. Consciousness synchronization is a spooky thing. Consider Wave function collapse: In quantum mechanics, wave function collapse is said to occur when a wave function—initially in a superposition of several eigenstates—appears to reduce to a single eigenstate (by "observation").

Consistent with Heisenberg, von Neumann postulated that there were two processes of wave function change:

1.The probabilistic, non-unitary, non-local, discontinuous change brought about by observation and measurement, as outlined above.
2.The deterministic, unitary, continuous time evolution of an isolated system that obeys the Schrödinger equation (or a relativistic equivalent, i.e. the Dirac equation).

In general, quantum systems exist in superpositions of those basis states that most closely correspond to classical descriptions, and, in the absence of measurement, evolve according to the Schrödinger equation. However, when a measurement is made, the wave function collapses—from an observer's perspective—to just one of the basis states, and the property being measured uniquely acquires the eigenvalue of that particular state, λ i. After the collapse, the system again evolves according to the Schrödinger equation.[2]

A macroscopic system (such as a cat) may evolve over time into a superposition of classically distinct quantum states (such as "alive" and "dead"). However, the state of the cat is entangled with the state of its environment (for instance, the molecules in the atmosphere surrounding it). If one averages over the quantum states of the environment - a physically reasonable procedure unless the quantum state of all the particles making up the environment can be controlled or measured precisely - the resulting mixed quantum state for the cat is very close to a classical probabilistic state where the cat has some definite probability to be dead or alive, just as a classical observer would expect in this situation [3]

How can you not see the new math (quantum dialectic) for its practical & transcendental qualities? Quantum mechanics (micro systems) produce the [1010] instead of 1...0...1...0, we're augmenting and evolving away from linear logic (mechanistic causality). Quantum computations simultaneously simulate 1 & 0 (dialectical tension) to produce solutions to natural & man-made problems. Do you understand how that may abolish natural dialectical tension as one cognitive pattern within our material world? We can use quantum mechanics to solve and build macro-system equations thus we may mathematical build cognitive patterns for the program we call civilization (civilized awareness). Society (socioeconomic schematic) is now a programmable (technological Darwinism) construct. Ecological systems operate through hierarchical dialectical tension, and humans can calculate (deconstruct/reconstruct) new chains of association using quantum dialectic. Our material world is now one calculable layer of experience (epidermis of reality), and we can program its mechanistic causality. Is that not the end goal of tools and technology as an extension of ourselves? BTW, if the medium is not the mass-age, why do our cosmologies evolve alongside technological invention/discovery? -RT

Of course, I thought big bad PHD Potemkin would comment on a few of my threads, especially when I challenged his archaic macroscopic dialectical assumptions. Consciousness is a supernatural force, we can use it to intelligently guide our evolution. Everything we 'know' is a product of applied consciousness. Consciousness is the medium and the medium is the message, we may intelligently influence the undivided-whole while moving through time/space (Let's pilot the wave ;) ).

[1] The Editors of Encyclopædia Britannica. "Symmetry." Encyclopædia Britannica. Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc., 20 July 2006. Web. 14 Jan. 2017. https://www.britannica.com/science/symmetry-physics.

[2]"Wave Function Collapse." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, n.d. Web. 14 Jan. 2017. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_function_collapse.

[3] "Quantum superposition." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, n.d. Web. 14 Jan. 2017.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_superposition

You assert, among other things that I may come back to if allowed:
Consciousness is a supernatural force

Consciousness is defined as:
"the state of being aware of and responsive to one's surroundings."
Being aware is a human state. So how can you can you reasonably assert that it is supernatural? As in beyond the laws of nature.

Can you please keep any response succinct and directly to the point.
jakell wrote:I'm impressed by what could be called measured responses, however one would choose to qualify/quantify them, especially from those who have previously appeared to be incapable or simply unwilling to engage with parity.

You will recall my last communication to you was on these matters, and I'm only responding to you now you because of signs to the contrary. As a token of mutual self respect I'm going to ask something of you, and it's quite simple... as I made this thread, I would like you to refrain from altering the title in any way from now on (I had to paste it back in here).
Once again, do you have anything to say about the data heavy post I delivered, or are you going to bitch about my style?. Since I have self-respect, I'm not going to reply to you unless you start challenging my opinions. As for the title header, I'm not aware of any particular forum rule that plainly says "please refrain from changing the subject header." I use it to structure my post, and since the post is contained inside this thread I'm not actually changing YOUR thread title. I love Neomon's PoFo, and I like all the new tools. Naturally, I will modify the subject header if it is available.

Besoeker wrote:Consciousness is defined as:
"the state of being aware of and responsive to one's surroundings."
Being aware is a human state. So how can you can you reasonably assert that it is supernatural? As in beyond the laws of nature.

Can you please keep any response succinct and directly to the point.
In other words, you wish my reply would tell you what to think, and you dislike the way my posts challenge how you think. Anyway, plants, dogs, birds, fish, insects, etc, are they not alive-awake-aware? If you statistically map out states of awareness found in nature, one may conclude that human consciousness is a very special kind of consciousness. The human intellect not only defines the laws of nature, the human intellect defies the laws of nature. Logically, anything that appears to be one statistical anomaly inside a group form- typically represents deviation from a common rule (in this case, deviation from a common state of awareness)- and in this case, I'd label human consciousness as one supernatural force.

Sure, we experience synesthesia/ideasthesia and self-referential psychology, yet humans clearly have the ability to transform our abstract knowledge into meaningful experiences. Is it not clear to you, being aware is an information loop? We separate everything and classify data because we must violate the laws of nature in order to survive, therefore we are super-natural organisms. The vehicle or medium we use to apply our consciousness may be called our natural interface and its energy and motion inside time/space dies once our conscious energy 'disappears.' The fact that we can harness the information loop and cognitively determine probability is magic. All of your posts essentially suggest "Black is black because it's black, and white is white because it is white," and I keep asking, "how is black black and why is white white?" Inside that relationship or interaction we seem to have trouble extracting scientifically verifiable answers, which is why we are having this debate in a philosophy thread. Why does the wave function collapse when we try to observe it, and what kind of magic is behind the power of observation?

"To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty." -Lao Tzu
RhetoricThug wrote:Once again, do you have anything to say about the data heavy post I delivered, or are you going to bitch about my style?. Since I have self-respect, I'm not going to reply to you unless you start challenging my opinions. As for the title header, I'm not aware of any particular forum rule that plainly says "please refrain from changing the subject header." I use it to structure my post, and since the post is contained inside this thread I'm not actually changing YOUR thread title. I love Neomon's PoFo, and I like all the new tools. Naturally, I will modify the subject header if it is available.

Ah well, it was just a personal request. It's a shame that you've chosen to ignore it and a bit of an overreach on your part in evoking external authority.

I assume from your final (slightly gushing) statement that you no longer hold the entire forum in contempt. Personally I'd be a bit embarrassed if I'd described them as you did.. and then chose to remain after all.

Again: Please do not alter the title, it's a rather blatant thread hijack. Rules or no rules, it's bad manners.
RhetoricThug wrote:Nice analogy, Lexington. :up: Furthermore, I said: If you treat our physical world or natural phenomena as encrypted data, the number 3 is like a master key.

Your may indeed decript my and all bank accounts of this is so.

RhetoricThug wrote: The number 3 may unlock other numbers and data sets, because some tools are more important than others. The number three can help you screw things together.

I can also relate 3 to Euler's number and also 20175.
RhetoricThug wrote:Once again, do you have anything to say about the data heavy post I delivered, or are you going to bitch about my style?. Since I have self-respect, I'm not going to reply to you unless you start challenging my opinions.

I did challenge your opinion, no, make that your assertion, that conciousness is supernatural.
And I did invite you to respond to that very point.
I try to deal with one point at a time. That, in my experience, avoids it getting mired into the myriad of disparate issues.

I would also question whether your "heavy data" can really be classsified as data but let that pass for now.

RhetoricThug wrote: As for the title header, I'm not aware of any particular forum rule that plainly says "please refrain from changing the subject header." I use it to structure my post, and since the post is contained inside this thread I'm not actually changing YOUR thread title.

I have no wish to have the thread title changed and I have no idea why you brought that up.

RhetoricThug wrote:I love Neomon's PoFo, and I like all the new tools.

Of course you do.

RhetoricThug wrote: Naturally, I will modify the subject header if it is available.

Why would you want to change it? I don't.

RhetoricThug wrote:In other words, you wish my reply would tell you what to think,

Absolutely not. I don't know where you got that notion.

RhetoricThug wrote:Anyway, plants, dogs, birds, fish, insects, etc, are they not alive-awake-aware? If you statistically map out states of awareness found in nature, one may conclude that human consciousness is a very special kind of consciousness.

Perhaps the same thing - just more highly developed.

RhetoricThug wrote:The human intellect not only defines the laws of nature,

Do you really believe that? Nature was around before any humans were there to define any laws that nature had to comply with.

RhetoricThug wrote:the human intellect defies the laws of nature.

So we have supernatural powers of intellect that defy the laws of nature? Is that what you are claiming? Really?

RhetoricThug wrote: Logically, anything that appears to be one statistical anomaly inside a group form- typically represents deviation from a common rule (in this case, deviation from a common state of awareness)- and in this case, I'd label human consciousness as one supernatural force.

Do you mean beyond the laws of nature? Fine if you do. I don't. I don't think anything supernatural exists. For sure there are some things we are not (yet) able to explain.

RhetoricThug wrote:Sure, we experience synesthesia/ideasthesia and self-referential psychology, yet humans clearly have the ability to transform our abstract knowledge into meaningful experiences.
Yes, that much is self evident. If you want to call the process by which we do that supernatural, fine. I have no illusions that it is.

RhetoricThug wrote: Is it not clear to you, being aware is an information loop?

A closed loop which, like a servo,uses feedback. That's one of the fundamental mechanisms for learning. And it doesn't just work with humans.

RhetoricThug wrote:We separate everything and classify data because we must violate the laws of nature in order to survive,

Can you give an example of any one law of nature that we violate to survive?

RhetoricThug wrote: therefore we are super-natural organisms.

I'm sure, from the above, you will have worked out that I profoundly disagree with that.

And, BTW, I responded to your comments not one of which appears to reference that "magic" three.
jakell wrote:^^Well, here's a nice self-contained example of why it is a bad idea to over-atomise a quote.. responding to comments directed at someone else.

Well, it's a discussion forum. Some the points were directed at you and some directed at me.
Stoic notice
Broken Brain Boy
Broken Brain Boy,
why must thou bubble & boil
over bogus hocus pocus?

Perhaps that dumb-phone made you lose thy focus? Poor Broken Brain Boy typing on his brain toy, stoically replies through the scrying screen.

The Medium is the message
Besoeker wrote:Perhaps the same thing - just more highly developed. Do you really believe that? Nature was around before any humans were there to define any laws that nature had to comply with. So we have supernatural powers of intellect that defy the laws of nature? Is that what you are claiming? Really? Do you mean beyond the laws of nature? Fine if you do. I don't. I don't think anything supernatural exists. For sure there are some things we are not (yet) able to explain.

Yes, perhaps all conscious creatures exist through the act of evolutionary differentiation, and the first cause or cosmogenesis is our universal or primordial consciousness. Of course, if we are one highly developed variation of the original consciousness, what stimulated and structured our unparalleled intellect? Once again, statistically, we are the naturally occurring anomaly, and we are the only creatures on planet Earth that can define and intelligently redesign nature. See, we define the laws of nature, we exploit the laws of nature, and we defy the laws of nature. If we couldn't defy the laws of nature, we'd be static savages living inside our natural habitat (yes, we're adaptive, so are many other creatures). Instead, we evolved away from the natural order of things and restructured it around our human intellect. Thus I am claiming that humans are SUPER-natural creatures.

Yes, that much is self evident. If you want to call the process by which we do that supernatural, fine. I have no illusions that it is.

A closed loop which, like a servo,uses feedback. That's one of the fundamental mechanisms for learning. And it doesn't just work with humans.

Can you give an example of any one law of nature that we violate to survive?

I'm sure, from the above, you will have worked out that I profoundly disagree with that.

And, BTW, I responded to your comments not one of which appears to reference that "magic" three.

Your first mistake- saying you have no illusions. :lol:

"To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty." -Lao Tzu. The wisdom in Tzu's quote: The human condition involves paradox. "How wonderful that we have met with a paradox. Now we have some hope of making progress." - Niels Bohr.

The Earth as one organism or system may be one biological feedback-loop (inside of the cosmic feedback-loop) , I never said that this loop exclusively concerns human cognition. Actually, now that I think about it, I wrote something about servomechanism in a poem-

Synergy of energy
Servomechanism & astral ecology
Working parts of the total sum

To give one example of how we violate the laws of nature in order to survive, I must consider different interpretations of the Laws of Nature.

Laws of Nature are to be distinguished both from Scientific Laws and from Natural Laws. Neither Natural Laws, as invoked in legal or ethical theories, nor Scientific Laws, which some researchers consider to be scientists' attempts to state or approximate the Laws of Nature, will be discussed in this article. Instead, it explores issues in contemporary metaphysics.

Within metaphysics, there are two competing theories of Laws of Nature. On one account, the Regularity Theory, Laws of Nature are statements of the uniformities or regularities in the world; they are mere descriptions of the way the world is. On the other account, the Necessitarian Theory, Laws of Nature are the "principles" which govern the natural phenomena of the world. That is, the natural world "obeys" the Laws of Nature. This seemingly innocuous difference marks one of the most profound gulfs within contemporary philosophy, and has quite unexpected, and wide-ranging, implications.

Some of these implications involve accidental truths, false existentials, the correspondence theory of truth, and the concept of free will. Perhaps the most important implication of each theory is whether the universe is a cosmic coincidence or driven by specific, eternal laws of nature. Each side takes a different stance on each of these issues, and to adopt either theory is to give up one or more strong beliefs about the nature of the world.

http://www.iep.utm.edu/lawofnat/

For this exercise I will bypass the scientific and physical laws of nature. I think we violate the natural law through the practice of intensive animal farming (industrial/factory farming). In-fact, without ecological sustainability (natural laws) I think we're violating our own nature by ignoring the consequence of mass-production.

So, In-toto you disagree with this idea- Through conscious extension of human cognition, 3 is a magic number, because you believe consciousnes is a product/byproduct of evolutionary materialism and science will eventually solve all our problems and you think I'm using the word magic to fill in a blank, right? Well, that's fine, I'm not here to be right or wrong, I'm here to challenge how you think. After-all, more than 99.9 percent of the electromagnetic spectrum cannot be observed by the naked eye. :up:

jakell wrote:Ah well, it was just a personal request.

Next time you have a personal request, use the PM feature.

Food-for-thought (as you reread my posts).

On a given body, to generate and superinduce a new nature or new natures is the work and aim of human power. Of a given nature to discover the form, or true specific difference, or nature-engendering nature, or source of emanation (for these are the terms which come nearest to a description of the thing), is the work and aim of human knowledge. Subordinate to these primary works are two others that are secondary and of inferior mark: to the former, the transformation of concrete bodies, so far as this is possible; to the latter, the discovery, in every case of generation and motion, of the latent process carried on from the manifest efficient and the manifest material to the form which is engendered; and in like manner the discovery of the latent configuration of bodies at rest and not in motion.

Bacon, Francis, Lisa Jardine, and Michael Silverthorne. "Aphorisms." The New Organon. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 2000. N. pag. Print.

Natural Religion

The Spirit that knows Spirit is consciousness of itself and is present to itself in objective form; it is; and is at the same time being that is for itself.

God as Light

Spirit as the essence that is self-consciousness- or the self-conscious Being that is all truth and knows all reality as its own self- is, to begin with, only its Notion in contrast to the actuality which it gives itself in the movement of its consciousness. And this Notion is, as contrasted with the daylight of this explicit development, the night of its essence; as contrasted with the outer existence of its moments as independent shapes, it is the creative secret of its birth. This secret has its revelation within itself; for the existence of its moments has its necessity in this Notion, because this Notion is self-knowing Spirit and therefore has in its essence the moment of being consciousness, and of presenting itself objectively. This is the pure 'I', which in its externalization has within itself as universal object the certainty of its own self, or, in other words, this object is for the 'I' the penetration of all thought and all reality.

The Artificer

Spirit, therefore, here appears, as an artificer, and its action whereby it produces itself as object but without having yet grasped the thought of itself is an instinctive operation, like the building of a honeycomb by bees.

The first form, because it is immediate, is the abstract form of the Understanding, and the work is not yet in its own self filled with Spirit. The crystals of pyramids and obelisks, simple combinations of straight lines with plane surfaces and equal proportions of parts, in which the incommensurability of the round is destroyed, these are the works of this artificer of rigid form. On account of the merely abstract intelligibleness of the form, the significance of the work is not in the work itself, is not the spiritual self. Thus either the works receive Spirit into them only as an alien, departed spirit that has forsaken its living saturation with reality and, being itself dead, takes up its abode in this lifeless crystal; or they have an external relation to Spirit as something which is itself there externally and not as Spirit- they are related to it as to the dawning light, which casts its significance on the them.

The division from which the artificer-spirit starts- the in-itself which becomes the material it fashions, and the being for-self which is the aspect of self-consciousness at work- this division has become objective to it in its work. Its further further efforts must aim at getting rid of this division of soul and body: to clothe and give shape to soul in its own self, and to endow body with soul. The two aspects, in being brought closer to each other, retain the specific character of Spirit as ideally conceived and as its enveloping husk; Spirit's unity with itself contains this antithesis of individuality and universality. Since the work, in the coming-together of its aspects, comes closer to itself, this at the same time produces another result, viz. that the work comes closer to self-consciousness performing it and that the latter, in the work, comes to know itself as it is in its truth. But in this way, the work at first constitutes only the abstract aspect of the activity of Spirit, which does not yet know the content of this activity within itself, but in its work, which is a Thing. The artificer himself, Spirit in its entirety, has not yet appeared, but is the still inner, hidden essence which, as an entity, is present only as divided into active self-consciousness and the object it has produced.

Hegel, Georg Wilhelm Friedrich, Arnold V. Miller, and J. N. Findlay. Phenomenology of Spirit. Oxford: Clarendon, 1977. Print.

Will and Representation

Now all this rests on the fundamental distinction between dogmatic and critical or transcendental philosophy. He who wishes to be clear about this, and to realize it by means of an example, can do so quite briefly if he reads, as a specimen of dogmatic philosophy, an essay by Leibniz, entitled De Rerum Originatione Radicali, printed for the first time in the edition of Leibniz's philosophical works by Erdmann, vol i, p. 147. Here the origin and excellent nature of the world are demonstrated a priori so thoroughly in the realistic dogmatic manner with the aid of ontological and cosmological proofs, and on the ground of the veritates aeternae. It is admitted once, by the way, that experience shows the very opposite of the excellence of the world here demonstrated, whereupon experience is then told that it does not understand anything about it, and ought to hold its tongue when philosophy has spoken a priori. With Kant the critical philosophy appeared as the opponent of this entire method. It makes its problem just those veritates aeternae that serve as the foundation of every such dogmatic structure, investigates their origin, and then finds this to be in man's head. Here they spring from the forms properly belonging to it, which it carries in itself for the purpose of perceiving and apprehending an objective world. Thus here in the brain is the quarry furnishing the material for that proud, dogmatic structure. Now because the critical philosophy, in order to reach this result, had to go beyond the veritates aeternae, on which all previous dogmatism was based, so as to make these truths themselves the subject of investigation, it became transcendental philosophy. From this it follows also that the objective world as we know it does not belong to the true being of things-in-themselves, but is its mere phenomenon, conditioned by those very forms that lie a priori in the human intellect (i.e., brain); hence the world cannot contain anything but phenomena.

It is true that Kant did not arrive at the knowledge that the phenomenon is the world as representation and that the thing-in-itself is will. He showed however, that the phenomenal world is conditioned just as much by the subject as by the object, and by isolating the most universal forms of its phenomenon, i.e., of the representation, he demonstrated that we know these forms and survey them according to their whole constitutional nature not only by starting from the object, but just as well by starting from the subject, since they are really the limit between object and subject and are common to both. He concluded that, by pursuing this limit, we do not penetrate into the inner nature of the object or the subject, and consequently that we never know the essential nature of the world, namely the thing-in-itself.

Schopenhauer, Arthur, and E. F. J. Payne. The World as Will and Representation. New York: Dover Publications, 1966. Print.

Vico's Axioms

Another property of the human mind is that, when people can form no idea of distant and unfamiliar things, they judge them by what is present and familiar.

This axiom indicates the inexhaustible source of all the erroneous views which entire nations and all scholars have entertained concerning the beginnings of civilization. For when nations first became aware of their origins, and scholars first studied them, they judged them according to the enlightenment, refinement, and magnificence of their age, when in fact by their very nature these origins must have been small, crude, and obscure.

Philosophy considers people as they should be, and hence is useful only to a few who want to live in the republic of Plato, rather than sink into the dregs of Romulus.

When people cannot know truth, they strive to follow what is certain and defined. In this way, even if their intellect cannot be satisfied by abstract knowledge, scienza, at least their will may repose in common knowledge, coscienza.

Since human judgement is by nature uncertain, it gains certainty from our common sense about what is necessary and useful to humankind; and necessity and utility are the two sources of the natural law of nations.

Vico, Giambattista. New Science: Principles of the New Science concerning the Common Nature of Nations. London: Penguin, 1999. Print.

Being the thread-starter, I sort of feel obliged to distill points that may be accessible (and readable) to the more casual viewer.

It seems that, other than the specific 'three' theme, another point is getting mentioned and will very likely keep cropping up.. that of consciousness.
I know that this isn't explicit in the title here, but can be discovered via the hint that I left (semi-inadvertently) at the bottom of the OP. Following this leads to a different perspective on the topic.

I've mentioned this twice before now, but I'm going to leave it to simmer on the back-burner for a while. For the time being we have two posters who are at different ends of the spectrum style-wise (but maybe not in attitude) and the contrast, although destructive, can also be instructive. Instructive if we are to consider consciousness that is.
RhetoricThug wrote:
The Medium is the message
Yes, perhaps all conscious creatures exist through the act of evolutionary differentiation, and the first cause or cosmogenesis is our universal or primordial consciousness. Of course, if we are one highly developed variation of the original consciousness, what stimulated and structured our unparalleled intellect? Once again, statistically, we are the naturally occurring anomaly, and we are the only creatures on planet Earth that can define and intelligently redesign nature. See, we define the laws of nature, we exploit the laws of nature, and we defy the laws of nature. If we couldn't defy the laws of nature, we'd be static savages living inside our natural habitat (yes, we're adaptive, so are many other creatures). Instead, we evolved away from the natural order of things and restructured it around our human intellect. Thus I am claiming that humans are SUPER-natural creatures.

That appears to be one huge leap of imagination rather than a logical deduction which you seem to want to make it out to be. If we had evolved to be supernatural creatures, wouldn't we have supernatural powers over life's limitations?
We are conceived, born, live, and die. So did early homosapiens. We haven't evolved supernatural powers to change that.
The laws of nature are the same for us as other creatures. But you bring up that hoary old chestnut. Bend the rules to suit your opinion.

Anyway, how does this "supernatural" attribute relate to the thread title - that "magic" three?

I simply don't believe your claim that we evolved away from the natural order of things. Human intellect may have evolved but evolution is a natural process.

RhetoricThug wrote:Your first mistake- saying you have no illusions. :lol:

Remind me where I said that, please. A verbatim quote would confirm your point. One way or the other.
Besoeker wrote:That appears to be one huge leap of imagination rather than a logical deduction which you seem to want to make it out to be. If we had evolved to be supernatural creatures, wouldn't we have supernatural powers over life's limitations?
We are conceived, born, live, and die. So did early homosapiens. We haven't evolved supernatural powers to change that.
The laws of nature are the same for us as other creatures. But you bring up that hoary old chestnut. Bend the rules to suit your opinion.

Anyway, how does this "supernatural" attribute relate to the thread title - that "magic" three?

I simply don't believe your claim that we evolved away from the natural order of things. Human intellect may have evolved but evolution is a natural process.

Remind me where I said that, please. A verbatim quote would confirm your point. One way or the other.
You misconstrue my philosophical propositions. If we wish to answer the question, 'is 3 a magic number,' we must discuss consciousness, cognition, and Morphogenesis. You continue to offer schoolhouse generalities with a common sense for and inclination toward absolutism without any particular scientific or philosophical approximations to counter my articulate opinions. I wouldn't call your practice of cherry picking insubstantial factors from my whole point, and saying you disagree, discussion; in-fact, most of your posts inflame the mundane aspects of this thread.
RhetoricThug wrote:You misconstrue my philosophical propositions. If we wish to answer the question, 'is 3 a magic number,' we must discuss consciousness, cognition, and Morphogenesis. You continue to offer schoolhouse generalities with a common sense for and inclination toward absolutism without any particular scientific or philosophical approximations to counter my articulate opinions. I wouldn't call your practice of cherry picking insubstantial factors from my whole point, and saying you disagree, discussion; in-fact, most of your posts inflame the mundane aspects of this thread.

Spot on, although that third word sent me into a bit of a tailspin, the first two provide more than enough food for thought.

I know Besoeker from elsewhere, and whilst you are correct about his attraction towards absolutes, you understate his fervor, he is a fundamentalist materialist who almost entirely lurks in discussions of the metaphysical and uses certain techniques of glib aloofness to suck the air and substance out of them. This said, I have been amused to see him attempting using words like 'magic' and 'supernatural' as if they are manageable concepts in his worldview.

As to answering the question "is three a magic number?".. a thread's title is always going to be inadequate (and I sort of stole it from the video's title) and, in my view, the OP is an important extension of the title, so I would say that there is more to this than answering that particular question, a direction I've already hinted at.
I did attempt to address what could be called the mundane level of the question in the OP by a nod towards psychology. Even then though materialists will overlook the 'magical' element.. they look through a window at a dead Universe and mistake it for a mirror, but it's not, and the magic lies on our side of the glass.

The October 7 attack may constitute an act of att[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

will putin´s closest buddy Gennady Timchenko be […]

https://youtu.be/URGhMw1u7MM?si=YzcCHXcH9e-US9mv […]

Xi Jinping: "vladimir, bend down even lower, […]