Non-existence? Zero? Nothing? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For the discussion of Philosophy. Discuss thought from Socrates to the Enlightenment and beyond!

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be debated in this forum, but those of religious belief who specifically wish to avoid threads being derailed by atheist arguments might prefer to use the Spirituality forum.
By FCP
Is there really such a thing as nothing? The dictionary describes it as: not anything; no thing. So if nothing is the absence of anything, by definition, it does not exist. Therefore there cannot be nothing, because if it was something, it would exist, and thus would cease to be nothing. So what is nothing? The only thing that I could come up with is that nothing is not.
By Putinist
And you know, when you actually think about it, yesterday is what today is, tomorrow.:D
By Noumenon
I guess "nothing" would mean there would be no space, in other words it would have no volume. Nothing can't exist if if it doesn't occupy space as far as I know. "Nothing" is really just a relative term. We can say "theres nothing in that room," even though it still has air in it. We can also say "theres nothing between the earth and the moon", but there is still empty space. A true "nothing" doesn't exist.
By grinner
Nothing is always somthing to somone. Somthing is nothing to others.
Relivance depicts the difference. This varies from one to another. To some, nothing doesn't exist. To others, that's all that ever will.

Ever notice that banana peels aren't really that slippery?

weird
By Ymir
Nothing is the opposite of Something. If Something exists, then Nothing does not.

Example: Numbers

Real numbers (1,2,3) exist.
Negative numbers (-1,-2,-3) do NOT exist.

You can have 2 apples.
You can not have -2 apples.

Nothing is like a negative number, it does not exist.
By FCP
Precisely, literally, conceptually, nothing is not, unless of course one was to it in the colloquial sense in which case it doesn't necessarily carry such a literal connotation.
By Lt. Spoonman
Everything is nothing.... or thats what i would tell you if i was Buddhist. and the Dalai Lama has got something figured out, that's for damn sure. As far as my limited understanding of the matters go, Buddhism believes that everything is an illusion, and can be "transcended." Nirvana is a state of nothingness for a Buddhist, and therefore the only true reality, since nothing is reality... creepy, huh? I lived in China for several years, and in that time i was very impressed by the depth and reason of Buddhist thought.

Party Hardy

@Potemkin nails it. You're a smart dude, Potemk[…]

It seems from this quote that you are itching to […]

Everyone knows the answer to this question. The […]

More incoherent ramblings as one can expect from […]