God as Origin of Morality - Page 12 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For the discussion of Philosophy. Discuss thought from Socrates to the Enlightenment and beyond!

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be debated in this forum, but those of religious belief who specifically wish to avoid threads being derailed by atheist arguments might prefer to use the Spirituality forum.
Furthermore what makes you think my imagination is the one out of focus and not yours for instance?

Why are you so defensive? I never said anything about you. You are the one that keeps bringing emotions into your arguments for strict scientific logic. It is really rather weird. :hmm:
One Degree wrote:Why are you so defensive? I never said anything about you. You are the one that keeps bringing emotions into your arguments for strict scientific logic. It is really rather weird. :hmm:

My apologies, I am not defensive.
I seem to have misunderstood the reason for the quote. Would you mind putting it in context? Whose mind are you talking about, etc.
What emotions are you talking about and what specific statement of mine do you object on the basis of emotional bias, maybe I could address that.
Your "strict scientific logic" is flawed, I pointed it multiple times and you have not addressed them at any point. You simply go into a tangent and bring a slightly different point to make it more confusing.
What is weird?
I seem to have misunderstood the reason for the quote.

I clearly stated I was using Mark Twain quotes to describe my position/way of thinking.
You are insisting upon arguing only your idea of reasoning is the correct one. I disagree. There is no where to go from there except off on tangents. I suppose we could get into the levels/types of moral/intellectual reasoning if you think it would serve any purpose? I don't think it will because you seem extremely comfortable with your scientific world view. I don't really see any need to continue the discussion at present.
One Degree wrote:You are insisting upon arguing only your idea of reasoning is the correct one.

It is not "my idea of reasoning" it is how proper reason works. This idea that "the sky is blue, therefore god exist" is silly. This is the kind of rhetoric religious people use "well this is the way I believe, you just have to take my word for it", no doesn't work. What you say/do/think can all be evaluated by its own merit. Just because you call something "logical" does not make it so. If your arguments like internal consistency, if you make logical fallacies, if you don't define terms or switch terms as you please without regards for how that affects the outcome you will be called for it. If its not me by somebody else.
I suppose we could get into the levels/types of moral/intellectual reasoning if you think it would serve any purpose?

I don't know what you mean by different levels of morals and intellectual reasoning.
I don't think it will because you seem extremely comfortable with your scientific world view.

I am. That is wrong how?
I don't really see any need to continue the discussion at present.

That is a shame.
The standard impasse in discussions of this nature, but it's really a failing of only having that one tool again. After a few rounds of this, some rationalists might start to question the utility of their approach, the ones who don't end up getting more and more frustrated and angry.

It's clear that religion is with us and will be into the foreseeable future, and unless we go to war or bring in a totalitarian world regime (see Communist Russia), a middle way has to be found. Constantly waving the 'magic' wand of rationality at it does not help, heck, it doesn't even work on internet forums.
I don't know what you mean by different levels of morals and intellectual reasoning.

I am just referring to your world view affecting your reasoning. How you choose to see it affects how you reason about it.
I am. That is wrong how?

Not wrong or right, just one way when there are more ways. I am guessing you have a strong science background. You base your world view on this and therefore you will reason on that basis. I will reason based upon my world view. My world view just gives less credence to scientific fact than yours. The reason I mentioned moral/intellectual levels is because of the idea that I can do nothing to change your world view. You will only change it if your current world view no longer serves your purposes. This is why I said I saw no need to continue the discussion.
One Degree wrote:
Not wrong or right, just one way when there are more ways. I am guessing you have a strong science background. You base your world view on this and therefore you will reason on that basis. I will reason based upon my world view. My world view just gives less credence to scientific fact than yours. The reason I mentioned moral/intellectual levels is because of the idea that I can do nothing to change your world view. You will only change it if your current world view no longer serves your purposes. This is why I said I saw no need to continue the discussion.

I doesn't always follow. I also have a strong science background and eventually realised that, even though it worked for 99% of things we see 'out there' that remaining 1% is a pretty significant one.

The trouble is that , because it is so powerful, it produces an almost irrational reverence and expectations, and when they are dashed we see an uncharacteristic backlash, sometimes of an emotional nature, with denial (a standard human response) taking a starring role. Thus I can understand the frustrations of science enthusiasts because it happened to me. It does help that I'm getting older now and have had time to process these things.
I doesn't always follow.

By no means, and I did not intend to imply so. It is an individual journey.
jakell wrote:I doesn't always follow. I also have a strong science background and eventually realised that, even though it worked for 99% of things we see 'out there' that remaining 1% is a pretty significant one.

That 1% doesn't mean that it won't ever be known to science. Or at least reduced.
Science progresses.
Well, I know two things:
1.God is real
2.He's Black.

I can accept that, but when will He come back from shooting craps and take care of business?
One Degree wrote:
I can accept that, but when will He come back from shooting craps and take care of business?

What makes you think he hasn't already. Western Civilization at a breaking point, EU dismantling, Migrants causing trouble, now you're trying to go to war with Russia, Trump will kill more Americans(Southern Whites) than saved. If that isn't Black God, "shooting craps", I don't know what is. It's like Turner Diaries but reverse. Not to mention your Bible is incomplete.
jakell wrote:The standard impasse in discussions of this nature, but it's really a failing of only having that one tool again. After a few rounds of this, some rationalists might start to question the utility of their approach, the ones who don't end up getting more and more frustrated and angry.

It's clear that religion is with us and will be into the foreseeable future, and unless we go to war or bring in a totalitarian world regime (see Communist Russia), a middle way has to be found. Constantly waving the 'magic' wand of rationality at it does not help, heck, it doesn't even work on internet forums.

I am familiar with the impasse. But I expected it to come from a theological point of view (sort of "well this is my belief" or "at the end of the day it comes down to faith" or some other crazy red herring like that). The fact that the impasse is coming from simply faulty logic and a refusal to use the same language in a discussion is if I may say so, surprising. For the record I neither question the utility of my approach (nothing has brought it into question) nor do I feel anger or frustration, perhaps a smidgen of disappointment if anything as I do enjoy a good debate and this is obviously not turning as I expected.
It's clear that religion is with us and will be into the foreseeable future, and unless we go to war or bring in a totalitarian world regime (see Communist Russia), a middle way has to be found.

Not because something has existed for a long time means that it will continue to exist (see Communist Russsia :lol: ) but ultimately I think you are partially right, religion (as unfortunately as it is) will stay with us for a bit longer. In its current form it is incompatible with reason and therefore science and progress. I sense a big clash happening already and I think it will only get worse from now on and I see two major outcomes, one of them is not very nice.
One Degree  wrote:I am just referring to your world view affecting your reasoning. How you choose to see it affects how you reason about it.

Yes... the problem is my world view... not the fact that you ignore basic meanings or basic format of a debate or how logic works.
Not wrong or right, just one way when there are more ways.

I will humor you. Explain to me if its not right or wrong how it is, what is your opinion of it, etc.
I am guessing you have a strong science background.

You could say that. I have a very diverse education, it is not just science. I have dabbled in arts, history, science, philosophy and even religion of sorts. I don't know what you are trying to imply just be careful not to make another ad hominem fallacy.
You base your world view on this and therefore you will reason on that basis.

Actually no. My world view is BECAUSE of reason, logic and facts. Not the other way around. I don't know why anyone would work the other way around.
I will reason based upon my world view.

:knife:
My world view just gives less credence to scientific fact than yours.

Careful you don't go floating away for not believing in the fact of gravity :lol: I am sorry I should be more mature but I could not miss that one. My apologies back on topic.
The reason I mentioned moral/intellectual levels is because of the idea that I can do nothing to change your world view.

You are mistaken. You can change my world view very easily. Simply show the flaws of my logic/arguments and dispute with evidence my claims of facts. You do that and me (and hopefully anyone that understands reason) would follow.
You will only change it if your current world view no longer serves your purposes.

Why do you think it should be any other way? Do you throw away a perfectly working car? why would you do the same with perfectly congruent facts or logic or theory? Now if you come up with a better model for reality by all means you (and I) should change your views.
This is why I said I saw no need to continue the discussion.

That's a rather pessimistic attitude but if you don't want to continue the discussion I understand.
I doesn't always follow. I also have a strong science background and eventually realised that, even though it worked for 99% of things we see 'out there' that remaining 1% is a pretty significant one.

The problem is that whenever people take something on faith, even if its "1%" they are blind when that "1%" gets revealed to them and it takes them a very long time to realize. I can give you a few examples: earth flat at some point was part of that "1%" (although presumably that 1% was way larger than just 1% a few hundred years), it took a lot of time, effort and prosecutions to change that "world view", same with evolution, and same with many other things to be discovered. The problem with faith is that it does not rely on facts (in fact it is incompatible with facts) so there is a massive clash when the facts are no longer obscure to us.
The trouble is that , because it is so powerful, it produces an almost irrational reverence and expectations, and when they are dashed we see an uncharacteristic backlash, sometimes of an emotional nature, with denial (a standard human response) taking a starring role. Thus I can understand the frustrations of science enthusiasts because it happened to me. It does help that I'm getting older now and have had time to process these things.

Nice try trying to make science more "religious like" and irrational. :lol: I always enjoy this.
Nice try trying to make science more "religious like" and irrational. :lol: I always enjoy this.

One last try. Can you tell me what intelligence is? If not, then how can you place limits on reason?
Is not your reason based upon intelligence?
Science will never be religious-like, nor be irrational, it is its own thing, a reliable tool.

The real question would be is there anything outside of science, that it cannot broach? Those who have succumbed to scientism will insist that there is not, to the extent that it starts to look like an article of faith.
jakell wrote:Science will never be religious-like, nor be irrational, it is its own thing, a reliable tool.

The real question would be is there anything outside of science, that it cannot broach? Those who have succumbed to scientism will insist that there is not, to the extent that it starts to look like an article of faith.

Scientism is not science though.
jakell wrote:Science will never be religious-like, nor be irrational, it is its own thing, a reliable tool.

You're putting personal views into it, I wonder how many God fearing people here voted for trump?
I will respond to Xog, but I will say that I am not God-fearing, I am God-loving. I think there is a huge difference between the two types of people. God-fearing people will always be stuck on the notion of hell, God-loving people will emphasize forgiveness and, well, love.
LV-GUCCI-PRADA-FLEX wrote:I will respond to Xog, but I will say that I am not God-fearing, I am God-loving. I think there is a huge difference between the two types of people. God-fearing people will always be stuck on the notion of hell, God-loving people will emphasize forgiveness and, well, love.

Your take and I have no problem with that.

I just have a small issue with an omnipotent entity that 20,000 to die in a tsunami. Or 200,000. Events an omnipotent god, if such exists, could have prevented - but didn't. Loving one who allows this, or even creates it............is hard to fathom.
How does God create weather patterns? How would we exist without weather patterns? Remember, humans would not exist if it were not for the extinction of the dinosaurs and the major changes in the Earth's atmosphere that coincided with that. Life cannot exist without death, goodness cannot exist without evil.

@FiveofSwords wrote: More genuine anthropologi[…]

There are some here who are applying for permanen[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

So if they are disarming the Ukrainian army why i[…]

The IDF did not raid the hospital until February 1[…]