Is Three a 'Magic' Number? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For the discussion of Philosophy. Discuss thought from Socrates to the Enlightenment and beyond!

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be debated in this forum, but those of religious belief who specifically wish to avoid threads being derailed by atheist arguments might prefer to use the Spirituality forum.
By jakell
I came across this video whilst perusing those of Matt Dillahunty, someone I had an introduction to from XogGyux in the discussion on morality

I also have an attraction to the number three and use it a great deal in all walks of life, not least when making verbal points. Matt here starts with a so-called 'mystical' veneration and ends up showing it is meaningless. My own thoughts are somewhere in between.

I would not use the word 'magic' or anything like it, I would say it is meaningful or significant to us though, just to put aside the notion that it has any objective qualities.
Observe many debates between intelligent folks, especially on the internet where they can be gone back over (and over). When the subject matter is difficult or emotional the discourse very often fall backs into binary thinking, often getting stuck there, some people will try to broaden the scope, only to be dragged back to the binary. To regard this merely as a failing misses an opportunity IMO, one that demonstrates where we are at cognitively as a species. Progressives like to think that suddenly, now we have science and logic etc, there are no limits to the human mind, but this is not true IMO, we have only relatively recently stepped up from the higher primates and are still in the process of evolving our mental faculties, a process that may turn out to be a lot slower and tortuous than over-enthusiastic humanists like to imagine.

So, here we have a sticking-point that tells us something ie, it is significant to us personally. The move onwards from binary thinking to more considered thinking might be straightforward for some individuals, but collectively it's a bit of a hurdle, and if we think that dialogue is the way forward then we are stuck (at present) somewhere between 2 and 3. Three is the next step we look towards, what some may yearn for.

Here's an enjoyable essay that encouraged me along this line of thinking
Beyond this guy babbling about things he skimmed over on the internet... Yes, 3 is a magic number, just like 0. The guy in the video appears bothered by the word magic because it conflicts with his inner mutterings. He'd like to sterilize the language because it threatens his secular world-view. The video should be called, 'What is magic.' If he started exploring that question, he'd probably delete 'is three a magic number.' 3 is a naturally occurring observable fact. Our cognitive patterns are not meaningless, they're in-fact, meaningful. :roll:

Pythagoras mathematically established 3 as one principle form. The sacredness of the triad and its symbol- the triangle- may be derived from the form of the monad and duad, giving birth to sequential order while reinforcing human LOGOS. Without the concept of 3, science & math would be incomplete. In-fact, the trivium had been formed through 3, grammar, logic, and rhetoric (input, process, output). BTW, tools like quantum physics post-structuralism holographic interferometry transcend binary thought. Is pi a magical constant or a mathematical constant?

3-6-9 symmetry
“If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration.” -Nikola Tesla

“If you only knew the magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9, then you would have the key to the universe.”

― Nikola Tesla
I think that prime numbers might be magical. There's only one of them. But I also believe the law of diminishing returns applies here. The further you go with it, the less magical they are. 0/1 are also special too. 0 represents the the fate of all living creatures and 1 represents the self. 2 represents differentiation and 3 represents art.

That's my theory anyway.
Besoeker wrote:Or 1 or 2 or e.
:eh: Thanks for the vague remark. Are you trying to insert deconstructionism? If so, I'll respond... 1 or 2 or e = functional human tools we use to organize things inside space/time. The real magic is in our consciousness, not in the number or letter. We gain power over material reality through our native interface (sensory resonance) by constructing cognitive patterns. Nonetheless, quantities and qualities or numbers and letters appear as natural phenomena in the all-at-once world (simultaneous happening/experience) we call reality.

Through conscious extension of human cognition, 3 is a magic number.
LV-GUCCI-PRADA-FLEX wrote:I don't know if it is a magic number, but it is extremely useful for comedy, drama, script writing, and really just writing in general.

It is also my favorite number.

Yes, it's just Matt in the video that used the word 'magic', and that is only probably for effect so that he can then laugh at the 'superstition'.

I take the position that it is meaningful as we try to move on from binary thinking, it represents something to strive for. Interestingly the article I cited at the end of the OP is from a series about 'magic', although I wasn't aware of this at the time, and I may come back to this at some point once I've read them all. John Michael Greer does seem to have a subtle take on 'magic' that is different to the common understanding of the term.
To me, there are 2 types of "meaningful" things. Meaningful to us (we give it the meaning, and it is completely arbitrary) or it is intrinsically meaningful (as the point Matt seems to be arguing against.)
While I do agree this meaningful, I also have to make clear that this is the former meaning of "meaningful". We give meaning because of our amazing capacity for pattern recognition (same reason we find faces in the moon surface and in the swirl of cream in a cup of coffee or in a pancake).
I do not think there is some kind of intrinsic meaning hidden away in the cosmos in which this or that number hold the key to enlightenment.
I'm not sure that the term 'intrinsic meaning' makes any sense, after all, 'meaning' is a function of our interaction with something.

This is why I used the term "objective qualities" in the OP, which is an attempt to leave us out of the picture. I say "attempt" because there are those that argue that without our cognisence of something there is nothing as in "if a tree falls and no-one is there, does it make a sound?"

ETA: BTW Xog, it been a few days now and I haven't heard from you regarding Matt's other video. I'm hoping that you haven't suddenly lost interest.
3 is indeed a 'magic number', just like 0, 1, 7, pi, e or i (the square root of -1). The equation e^(i*pi) = -1 is probably the most 'magical' in all of mathematics.

Oh, and the philosopher C.S Pierce was obsessed with the number 3. He believed that his discovery of the importance of 'threeness' was his most important philosophical breakthrough. Reading his work, it's difficult not to agree with him.
Potemkin wrote:3 is indeed a 'magic number', just like 0, 1, 7, pi, e or i (the square root of -1). The equation e^(i*pi) = -1 is probably the most 'magical' in all of mathematics.

Agree. Euler didn't just lubricate moving parts............:)
Potemkin wrote:3 is indeed a 'magic number', just like 0, 1, 7, pi, e or i (the square root of -1). The equation e^(i*pi) = -1 is probably the most 'magical' in all of mathematics.

Oh, and the philosopher C.S Pierce was obsessed with the number 3. He believed that his discovery of the importance of 'threeness' was his most important philosophical breakthrough. Reading his work, it's difficult not to agree with him.

I'll look him up.

All those other numbers could be considered to be special which is why I examined in the OP why a particular number might appear more significant to us.
I'll look him up.

It never ceases to surprise me how few Americans have even heard of Charles Sanders Pierce, despite the fact that he was probably the greatest American philosopher who ever lived. He was a much better philosopher than Emerson or William James, for example. He essentially founded the discipline of semiotics. I made extensive use of his third trichotomy of signs in my PhD research, for example. The work of Emerson or James is of only historical interest now, yet the work of Pierce is still fresh and relevant even to this day. There should be statues of this guy on every public square.
Whoops, I spelt his name wrong. Lol. He is, of course, Charles Sanders Peirce (pronounced "purse"). Lol. :D
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

We're getting some shocking claims coming through.[…]

Most of us non- white men have found a different […]

we ought to have maintained a bit more 'racial hy[…]

@Unthinking Majority Canada goes beyond just t[…]