How Can Society Address the Problems With Empiricism? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For the discussion of Philosophy. Discuss thought from Socrates to the Enlightenment and beyond!

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be debated in this forum, but those of religious belief who specifically wish to avoid threads being derailed by atheist arguments might prefer to use the Spirituality forum.
We've all had problems when trying to convince people of ideas that have been proven with facts.

However, there are some common complaints that often get made. For example:

"Just because you've proven something can work that way doesn't mean it has to."

"You're just referring to the facts you like that suggest your theory is true."

"Don't tell me how to spend my time in proving you wrong. I have a life to live."

"If it's been proven with facts, why don't you have those facts on you right here right now?"

"Real life is out of control with random variables. The theory you proved only works when things are in control. You're being utopian instead of practical."

Other times, we've encountered people who sabotage empirical analysis by turning things on their heads. For example, some people oppose science because they're obsessed with the tried and true traditional way of life. Other people indirectly cultivate a culture of common sense in their neighborhoods which suggests the relationships of how people interact should happen a certain way such that people don't have the opportunity to experiment otherwise.

Some people also manipulate power in their communities such that anyone who experiments otherwise gets abused or labeled as provocative such that their experiments get destroyed.

How do you guys deal with these situations?
Well, you mentioned society right in the title here, which is the key to what you describe.

People, either individually or collectively (society) tend to favour values over facts. It's a necessary filter for our limited minds to choose a manageable set of data from the maelstrom available, it doesn't always serve us though.
Good luck changing this, a good start is to address values as well as facts, but that's where things get complicated and fact-enthusiasts tend to baulk at this.
I would examine the ideological hold on a demographic between religious institutions in contrast to educational institutions.
But then again none of those quotes resonate with my personal experience because I've not really lived in a place where I've often had to confront people's religious beliefs. And I suppose part of the intersection of religious beliefs is how in the case of the US, religion has be tailored into specific social issues in order to rally people into political divisions. Which suggests might also have to examine how politics has sought to tailor its propaganda to a religious base and position it amicably to their political aims.

On the other side of things though, don't think it's useful to use only facts. Facts work in conjunction with certain assumptions. So better to try and undermine peoples' axioms and world view, brining it into doubt whilst offering a more persuasive one. Or better yet, use their own expressed values to support a novel view that counters their current conclusions, thus working within their perceived world view but advocating a different conclusion from it.

But this doesn't really offer much detail on how to struggle ideologically with folks and win. Plus if one is in a place like the US, I think its even harder as Americans aren't prone to thinking too much about anything as much as they like their 'facts'. Which might speak to their education system actually being effective at not inciting much thinking but a rote memorization of certain facts and that the education system doesn't function as it does in other places where it served as a different institution on which to challenge the ideological stranglehold of the Church in the past.

That's as much as I can speculate in a general sense, never really rubbed up against it yet.
More and more often I note, with wry amusement, how religion tends to rear its head so quickly in discussions nowadays.
Don't get me wrong, I think this is a good thing. People are starting to notice, or at least intuit, that religion is a far more important thing than it has been given credit for by the last few generations of progressive 'thinkers'.

This tends to fall a bit too quickly into the binary of religion vs rationality, the sort of rut that humans like, and tends to get stuck there. The tendency to view everything as a problem to be solved is hard to resist, and we don't like to think that what we are facing might be a predicament.

So, if we can't solve religion, the only solution is to learn to live with it. I would say that the issue is not religion as such, but religiosity, something that is part of the human psyche, which is why we see the tendency cropping up even in those who claim to eschew traditional religious forms.
I would say that one positive way of looking at religion is that it tends to address values, which something I identified as lacking in my previous post.
Last edited by jakell on 22 Jan 2017 11:41, edited 1 time in total.
I would say that one positive way of looking at religion is that it tends to address values, which something I identified as lacking in my previous post.

The idea that we should pursue empiricism as the truth and ignore 'illogical morals' results in a world of robots. Is that what your Utopia is? Math as God. Without the freedom to 'choose to be stupid' on occasion, you have a very boring world.
In the morality thread we had one person talking of the 'morality of survival', which makes me think of Darwinism and another claiming that egalitarianism is obsolete, and that a measurement of 'results' is all that is needed. I take this latter be be consistent with your "Math as God" statement.
Both of these could be described as 'logical' I suppose.

Before we go (arghh!) down the path of discussing morality again though, I would like to point out that I used 'values' to indicate something more everyday and mundane (although still 'irrational'). Values are the building blocks of morality though.
jakell wrote:More and more often I note, with wry amusement, how religion tends to rear its head so quickly in discussions nowadays.
Don't get me wrong, I think this is a good thing. People are starting to notice, or at least intuit, that religion is a far important thing than it has been given credit for by the last few generations of progressive 'thinkers'.

This tends to fall a bit too quickly into the binary of religion vs rationality, the sort of rut that humans like, and tends to get stuck there. The tendency to view everything as a problem to be solved is hard to resist, and we don't like to think that what we are facing might be a predicament.

So, if we can't solve religion, the only solution is to learn to live with it. I would say that the issue is not religion as such, but religiosity, something that is part of the human psyche, which is why we see the tendency cropping up even in those who claim to eschew traditional religious forms.

Agreed, should be careful to not fall into a dualism that posits possibly false dichotomies, though this more of an issue for those with a fragmented experience and perception.
One resolution to that conflict of ideas I imagine comes in some sort of nonduality or to see how in some respects that the two don't necessarily undermine one another. This fragmented nature seen within dualism is something I associate with a lack of a dialectical worldview that emphasize relations between things in a way that the empiricism doesn't empiricism seems to consider things that aren't concrete objects to simply be subjective. Instead of thinking of things projected onto material objects as simply subjective due to their abstract but not so concrete ontology. We can treat our abstract projections that give an object a particular meaning as a sort of 'concrete thought' which has meaning derived from the relations that underpin the object. Which for most of us today is capitalism, which commodifies things and considers them primarily in terms of instrumental rationality.
What you call religiosity I would characterize as something that falls under ideology in a broad sense of the sort of meaning/narrative we prescribe to concrete objects. Ideology which allows us to function as people within a society with certain rules on how to behave and think in a socially acceptable frame.

The emphasis on empiricism is itself based on certain axioms and values. That whilst modernism demystified a lot of the sentimentality we held to things and reduced things to instrumental use. Relegating all that is thought but isn't a objective object external to ourselves as mere subjectivities without any truth value.
I suspect that the dualism results in a false sense of separation of fact and value. Because certain values underpin certain views/axioms/assumptions which then leads to a certain frame of accepted facts.
Spoiler: show
A short summary wondering about the fact/value distinction
https://www.nyu.edu/projects/ollman/docs/ethic.php
I prefer to say that Marx did not have an ethical theory. But how then to explain the approval and disapproval which he expresses in his works, the fact that he sided with the proletariat and incited them to overthrow the system? How, too, it may be asked, do I account for his attachment to the cause of humanity and to the ideas of communism and human fulfillment? In asking such question, however, one must be careful not to assume at the outset the form the answer must take. For this is what happens if one is saying, 'Here are two worlds, facts and values; how do you link them?' But to accept that reality is halved in this way is to admit failure from the start. On the contrary, the relational conception which was discussed in the last two chapters required that Marx consider what was known, advocated, condemned or done by everyone, himself included, as internally related. Every facet of the real world, and people's actions and thoughts as elements in it, are mutually dependent on each other for what they are, and must be understood accordingly.

The logical distinction which is said to exist between facts and values is founded on the belief that it is possible to conceive of one without the other. Given a particular fact, the argument runs, one may without contradiction attach any value to it. The fact itself does not entail a specific value. Historically the view that moral beliefs are contingent has tended to go along with the view that they are also arbitrary. On this model, all judgment depends in the last instance on the independent se of values which each individual, for reasons best known to himself, brings to the situation. The ethical premise is not only a final arbiter but a mysterious one, defying sociological and even psychological analysis. Though some recent defenders of orthodoxy have sought to muddle the distinction between fact and value with talk of 'context', 'function', 'real reference', 'predisposition', etc., the logical line drawn in conception remains. Yet, if one cannot conceive of anything one chooses to call a fact (because it is an open ended relation) without bringing in evaluative elements (and vice versa), the very problem orthodox thinkers have set out to answer cannot be posed.

Moreover, on Marx's view, the real judgments which are made in any situation are a function of that situation and the particular individuals active in it. Thus, the very notion that it is logically permissible to take any attitude toward a given 'fact' is itself a judgment inherent in the circumstances out of which it emerges. Rather than being logically independent of what is, any choice—as well as the idea that one has a choice is linked by innumerable threads to the real world, including the life, class interests, and character of the person acting. Judgments can never be severed, neither practically nor logically, from their contexts and the number of real alternatives which they allow. In this perspective, what is called the fact-value distinction, appears as a form of self-deception, an attempt to deny what has already been done by claiming that it could not have been done or still remains to do.

Marx would not have denied that the statements "This is what exists' and 'What exists is good' or 'This is what should exist', mark some distinction, but he would not have called it one of fact and value. If we define "fact" as a statement of something known to have happened or knowable, and 'value' as that property in any thing for which we esteem or condemn it As man is a creature of needs and purposes, however much they may vary for different people, it could not be otherwise. Because everything we know (whether in its immediacy or in some degree of extension through conditions and results) bears some relation to our needs and purposes, there is nothing we know toward which we not have attitudes, either for, against or indifferent.

Likewise, our 'values' are all attached to what we take to be the 'facts', and could not be what they are apart from them. It is not simply that the 'facts' affect our values', and our 'values' affect what we take to be the 'facts—both respectable common sense positions—but that, in any given case, each includes the other and is part of what is meant by the other's concept. In these circumstances, to try to split their union into logically distinct halves is to distort their real character.

Followers of Marx have always known that what people approve or condemn can only be understood through a deep-going social analysis, particularly of their needs and interest as members of a class. What emerges from the foregoing is that the forms in which approval and condemnation appear—like setting up absolute principles or values—must be understood through the same kind of analysis. This is not the place to undertake such an analysis, but it may be useful to sketch its broad outlines. The attempt to establish values which apply equally to everyone results, to al large extent, from the need to defuse growing class conflict arising from incompatible interest in a class-ridden society. To apply values equally is to abstract from the unequal conditions in which people live and the incompatible interest that result. The main effort of capitalist ideology has always been directed to dismissing or playing down this incompatibility. The abstractions with which such ideology abounds are so many attempts to sever the class-affected 'facts' from the judgments and actions that ordinarily follow upon their comprehension.

Marx goes so far as to suggest that the fact—value distinction is itself a symptom of man's alienation in modern capitalist society: 'It stems from the very nature of estrangement that each sphere applies to men a different and opposite yardstick—ethics one and political economy another.'11 A chief characteristic of alienation, as we shall learn, is the separation of what does not allow separation without distortion. The organic unity of reality has been exchanged for distinct spheres of activity whose interrelations in the social whole can no longer be ascertained. Removed from their real context, the individual's relations with nature and society, taken one at a time, appear other than they are. As part of this process, many, often contradictory yardsticks for measuring achievement come into existence for different areas of life, making all broad plans of reform seem 'illogical' or 'irrational' in some respect of other. In this context, it would appear that altogether too much attention has been paid to the biased and false message in capitalist ideology and too little to what is predisposed in the forms of though themselves, to the class advantage contained in accepted rules of thinking. For any attempt to universalize a moral code, whatever its content, by undercutting the reality of class conflict only succeeds in serving capitalist ends.

As far as Marx's own work is concerned, those remarks which strike us as being an evaluative nature are internally relate facets of all he says and knows, which in turn are internally tied to his life and all surrounding circumstances—not as an exception, but because everything in the world is related in this way. However, being conscious of this, Marx integrated his remarks of approval and disapproval more closely into his system than have most other thinkers, making any surgical division into facts and values so much more destructive of his meaning. For example, Marx claims that when a communist stands in front of 'a crowd of scrofulous, overworked and consumptive starvelings', he sees 'the necessity, and at the same time the condition, of a transformation both of industry and of the social structure'.12 Marx is asserting that for those who share his outlook these 'facts' contain their own condemnation and a call to do something about them. If an individual ''''chooses otherwise, it is not because he had made a contrary moral judgment, but because the particular relations in which he stands (the class to which he belongs, his personal history, etc.) have led him to a different appreciation of the facts.13

Another lengthy paper that discusses how Marx seems to make evaluative claims whilst not providing a moral argument against capitalism: http://sci-hub.cc/10.1007/BF01043575

But in both cases of someone raised primarily in the sphere of influence of the Church or the public education system, in both cases many are likely meant to accept certain things as fact in their up bringing. That we think of it in terms of a very crude indoctrination when we disagree with such an ideology.
That children are educated in the sense of learning certain things as facts in both institutions and whilst there might be somethings later on considered to be critical thinking, it will likely be within the frame of the ideologies espoused by the institutions. Not that expect little kids to be little Socrates, but that both institutions are meant to instill certain views and values in what is expressed and the habitual practices of those institutions.

So when one is presented with facts from one institution and primarily within its ideological hold and less so the other, then I speculate this creates the sort of tension where one's values show opposition to the other. Not that there had to be an opposition, because its perfectly comprehensible to accept facts about the natural world and a spiritual/metaphysical truth as well, which I think was the function of Descartes dualism to separate the two so that science could be done without undermining the legitimacy of God by asserting that the metaphysical questions were separate from the reality that exists.
People have been able to maintain a nuanced and elaborate spiritual faith whilst accepting many established scientific facts and models that explain aspects of reality.

But that doesn't seem to be what is put into practice in somewhere like the US where there seems to be a sort of scientism that thinks it can argue from a fundamentally different philosophical viewpoint, often without understanding their own philosophical assumptions, why God is irrational. Similarly, there are people who are considered religious leaders who denounce science because it disagrees with values or conclusions they have. To see where this comes from I can only imagine it's been somehow a useful division in political issues where the two parties in the US throw social issues out to the public to fight over whilst they do what they do anyway within interests of capital.
That I think would have to look at the history of how the political parties have taken shape, like how the Republican party began to appeal to a religious and now fundamentalist platform for what ever reason. I think it has been useful to use propaganda to tailor certain social issues as divisive ones. Not that the issues are necessarily insignificant in themselves, especially to peoples' lives but that they don't do anything to create a meaningful change and thus are spinning wheels which is useful for passifying a people within the frame of a liberal democracy.
That I think part of it is what I have seen many people consider a particularly American thing to only assert the facts and not think so much. The issue being that people are getting a different set of facts and they haven't been provided support to question the manner in which they interpret and accept facts.
That the American people, though I would argue many within liberal democracies have been put through institutions that don't foster radical thought in the majority of people and live an existence that isn't conducive to it for a lack of time (working all the time) and many distractions that are superficial in substance. And from this heads butt more easily because there is no resolution in facts, they're more easily directed by their feelings based on the things they take to be facts, they can be fed more and more facts and they can have the appearance of informing themselves with facts. Which by their education is a sign of intelligence that is rewarded when its the right facts that give you status/acceptance in that community.

This is a rather cynical appraisal of people, I do hold greater hope for the capacity of many people to think through things, but it is the case that many people simply don't have the time, the energy or the will to think through things. Even when they do have all those things, they can still be mislead because it's difficult for us to meaningfully distinguish between reality and fiction, particularly when our sense of reality is so thoroughly immersed in modern technological communications that disseminate information but not necessarily true knowledge.

It's hard for me to see how much this fits to the reality of the matter for why there is a say a tension between fundamentalists and those categorized by scientism. But I like to think its a nice speculative narrative. That to we would have to look at a real world example to really explore the matter I suppose, because treated in a general sense, it seems to have abstracted so much information away that its difficult to consider why such tensions/conflicts occur.
You seem to be eschewing dualism here, but I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. For a start it produces clarity, and if your target is society and not an intellectual vanguard, then this is something worth valuing.
Here a section of an article I recently cited that addresses how, ironically, getting too picky about dualism can end up reinforcing it:

...I wish this were merely a theoretical possibility. Those who think it is might be well advised to pick up a copy of Matthew Fox’s book The Coming of the Cosmic Christ and read what Fox has to say about dualism—that’s his term for binary thinking in a religous context. He denounces it in harsh terms, but he then goes on to say that there are basically two kinds of religion, dualist and nondualist, and dualist religion is bad while nondualist religion is good! At one point—it’s on pages 134 and 135 of my copy—he sets out a convenient list of the differences between the two, and it’s all a matter of hard oppositions between contending extremes. All in all, it’s hard to think of anything more dualist this side of 3rd century Johannite Gnosticism, and yet Fox, at least when he wrote the book in question, was apparently convinced that he wasn’t a dualist.

The problem with binary thinking—or, if you will, with dualism—is not that it’s bad. It’s simply that it’s very often overused, and even more often used inappropriately. If you’re at risk of starvation, or being stalked by a predator, the hardwired binary reaction with all its emotional force is more likely to keep you alive than a philosophical attitude toward eating or being eaten. There are other times and contexts, furthermore, in which a nonreactive, thoughtful dualism, like the Taoist conception of yin and yang, is a very flexible and useful tool. The point of learning to think in ternaries, in turn, is not that ternaries are good and binaries are bad; it’s that learning the trick of ternary thinking widens your range of options. The same traditions that taught (and teach) ternary thinking go on to explain that every number denotes a way of conceptually dividing up the world, and teach more advanced students how to use a range of whole numbers—anything from the first seven to the first twenty of them, depending on the tradition in question—as abstract models for thinking, each in its own proper place and each with its own distinct effects...

The second paragraph pretty much says what I would here, so there's no use in me paraphrasing it. It does gel with the notion of different tools that I have used elsewhere and I'm quite happy to regard facts/values as a useful dualism.

Your hidden piece directed at facts and values seemed promising, but when I found it was centered upon Marx and Marxism I lost my enthusiasm.. sorry.
jakell wrote:You seem to be eschewing dualism here, but I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. For a start it produces clarity, and if your target is society and not an intellectual vanguard, then this is something worth valuing.
Here a section of an article I recently cited that addresses how, ironically, getting too picky about dualism can end up reinforcing it:

The second paragraph pretty much says what I would here, so there's no use in me paraphrasing it. It does gel with the notion of different tools that I have used elsewhere and I'm quite happy to regard facts/values as a useful dualism.

It's not that I think the binary is bad, if anything opposites as a necessary part of our abstractions as distinctions are required to speak intelligibly, where there is no perceived difference there is no ability to speak of two things. But what I eschew about dualism is more in what sort of ontology one assumes.
http://sci-hub.cc/10.1521/siso.2009.73.3.356
Dualism, as ontology, finds its most secure and perennial expression in a world view which insists that “the material” and “the spiritual” constitute entirely separate domains with an indeterminate relationship to one another. Despite its obvious connection to religion, however, such a fully developed dualistic conception is present only in comparatively recent religious doctrines. The religious mind’s dualistic separation of the spiritual/eternal and the mundane/temporal into absolutely separate spheres — the “disenchantment of the world” — involved an uneven and historically protracted process that was decisively associated with the rise and “rationalization” of the monotheistic religions. But it was “completed” only under the impact of the modern scientific revolution, which entrenched the (deistic) idea that natural events and processes are better comprehended in terms of predictable natural laws than as the whims of supernatural beings.
Fundamental to a Marxist, historical-materialist critique of dualism is an insistence on the role of the social relations of production (and reproduction) in mediating the dynamic relationship between the material–natural (encompassing “human corporeal organization,” the forces of production and the invariant laws of nature) and human conscious activity (encompassing ideas and agency).3 On this view, the social is not immediately reducible to either the material or the ideal (as in dualistic thought), but plays a relatively autonomous role within an ontological unity. Thus, Marxism rejects any supposition of principled indeterminacy in the relationship between the material–natural and human consciousness/activity, positing each as relatively distinct aspects or moments of a dialectical unity in which the social plays a significant determining role.

I suppose for a more spiritual emphasis, this article on dialectical monism helps touch on some similarities to what I think Marx's philsophical view may be. Though I do wonder whether Marxism might be more amicable to Process philosophy's ontology which doesn't really posit a substance and I think emphasizes some sort of temporal ontology. Since the emphasis on substance assumes some static entity where Marx's dialectical thinking emphasizes things as in a state of flux as inspired by Hegel's thought which I think was inspired by Heraclitus, the latter two which I suspect also inspired Alfred North Whiteheads Process Philosophy. So dialectical monism might be more digestible in not being Marxist but emphasizing a dialectics in a monist ontology.
Basically, I don't like dualistic ontology and find more appeal in that which rejects it.
Your hidden piece directed at facts and values seemed promising, but when I found it was centered upon Marx and Marxism I lost my enthusiasm.. sorry.

I can only suggest that you consider your feelings of how it seemed promising and you were averse because of perhaps an emotional stigma to the terms Marx/ism hehe
But that's fair enough, I think bringing up dialectical materialism might provide some criticism of dualism that isn't from a Marxist perspective.
Even that reference to Yin and Yang in the quote I think is stating something as dualism because there are two things but I take it that Taoism may also be considered a form of dialectical monism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialectical_monism
Dialectical monism, also known as dualistic monism, is an ontological position that holds that reality is ultimately a unified whole, distinguishing itself from monism by asserting that this whole necessarily expresses itself in dualistic terms. For the dialectical monist, the essential unity is that of complementary polarities, which, while opposed in the realm of experience and perception, are co-substantial in a transcendent sense.
Dubayoo wrote:We've all had problems when trying to convince people of ideas that have been proven with facts.

Proof is a slippery thing. In mathematics you can prove some things like the square root of 2 is not a rational number. That is, it can't be expressed precisely as the ratio of two nimbers.

Science deals more with theories. Many of them can be verified time snd time again by scientific experiment. But that's not the same as proved.

The dark clouds and the forces of evil are gatheri[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Startup in Muscovy : mother of a Muscovite soldier[…]

Got to watch the lexicon. Heritable is not a real[…]

The only people creating an unsafe situation on c[…]