Islamophobia vs Criticizing Islam - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For the discussion of Philosophy. Discuss thought from Socrates to the Enlightenment and beyond!

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be debated in this forum, but those of religious belief who specifically wish to avoid threads being derailed by atheist arguments might prefer to use the Spirituality forum.
Two killed on Portland train after 'defending Muslims'
Two men stabbed to death as they tried to stop suspect bullying Muslim women on light-rail train, Oregon police say.
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/05/k ... 48396.html

So is this Islamophobia or someone Criticising Islam?
Godstud wrote:Two killed on Portland train after 'defending Muslims'
Two men stabbed to death as they tried to stop suspect bullying Muslim women on light-rail train, Oregon police say.
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/05/k ... 48396.html

So is this Islamophobia or someone Criticising Islam?

You'd know, and would also probably have something worthwhile and intelligent to say, if you'd bothered to watch the video.
I understand that it is directed at terrorism, but I can think of a dozen other solutions that it can apply to, like these forums. We need to attack ideas more, not people.
You mean Christian church and state, like in Uganda, where up until recently(2014) they had an anti-gay law where a person could suffer life imprisonment ?
“Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.”

― Mark Twain
:D

Also:
Practice of Female Genital Mutilation has no relationship with religion. Muslims and Christians practice it, but it is more widely spread in Christian predominated parts of Nigeria.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3507121/
Fantastic vid Saeko. Thanks.

I have always found it more than a coincidence that the 3 "Abrahamic" religions are the source of abject violence and discrimination over and over throughout history. Yet we big-brained animals who pride ourselves on our enhanced powers of reason and understanding, have completely missed the boat when it comes to "The Dirty Three".
Islam, Christianity and Judaism will forever be at each other's throats until we, big-brained animals actually use our enhanced powers to reason that these 3 doctrines are political by nature, cause more friction than they are worth, and should be treated accordingly.
@Saeko

I think I have a good definition:

Islamophobia - An irrational hatred of and an obsession with, Muslims and Islam. Islamophobes often make large, sweeping generalizations about Islam and Muslims (i.e. Islam is the worst thing in the world, Muslims are the worst thing in the world) and often use hyperbole to support their points.

Islamophobes often are white nationalists, conservatives, neo-conservatives, fascists, neo-reactionaries, far-right extremists, and New Atheists.

Criticizing Islam - Critics of Islam often only target the religion and refrain from talking about Muslims attacking Islam as an idea. Critics of Islam do not making sweeping generalizations of Islam and often have read the Quran. They often cite certain hadiths and surahs from the Quran while putting them in context and then criticize them.

Often these people can be anyone although anyone who is likely to be an Islamophobe (i.e. the groups I listed in the above definition) is less likely to be a critic of Islam.
Saeko wrote:Here's an excellent video from (in my opinion) the best Youtuber of the Youtube-Atheist era:

If a religious or even a post-religious group is masquerading as a "race" or an "ethnicity", then this group can easily shut down any criticism of its own behaviour, labelling their perceived enemies as "racists" and "haters".

BTW, I am not necessarily talking about Islam.

Again, conspiracy theories about Jewish domina[…]

Sure. No ethnogenesis in the past doesn't mean no[…]

In 1900, Europe had THREE TIMES the population of […]

@Rancid it's hard to know, we'd need to see how […]