What Islamophobia Is - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For the discussion of Philosophy. Discuss thought from Socrates to the Enlightenment and beyond!

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be debated in this forum, but those of religious belief who specifically wish to avoid threads being derailed by atheist arguments might prefer to use the Spirituality forum.
By Oxymandias
Previously in the "Islamophobia vs Criticism" post, I detailed the definition of what Islamophobia is. Since then, I have improved upon this definition. Here is what I now think is the definition of Islamophobia:

Islamophobia - Islamophobia is an irrational hatred of and an obsession with Islam and Muslims. Islamophobes often make massive generalizations of Muslims and Islam, demonize Muslims and Islam making them as inhuman as possible, and often advocate for oppressive and hostile policies towards Muslims and Islam. Islamophobes often have very little if not, no knowledge on Islam, Muslims, the Quran, the Middle East, and Middle Eastern politics. Therefore, in order to compensate, Islamophobes use news articles and other related media that has Muslims doing bad things and tries to show this as proof that Muslims and Islam are horrible. They also regurgeatate many memes and myths that are spread in anti-Islamic communities despite being proven false. Islamophobes also often have a fascination with the Middle Ages particularly during Charlemagne's era and try to connect past with the present trying to find similarities between them.

Islamophobes are often conservatives, neo-conservatives, far-right extremists, alt-rightists, Neoreactionaires, fascists, white nationalists, nationalists, racists, and New Atheists.
By B0ycey
Like any phobia, Islamophobia is an irrational phobia against Islam. Very few people actually have been affected from Islamic extremism or have any interaction with the faith on a daily basis (when from a separate faith). But if you read the tabloids or people responses on here you would believe there is a faith war in the West. There isn't. It is a phobia. And it is irrational. But what I find strange with this phobia is the ability people seem to possess to change their stance depending on their surrounds. No one has a problem with Islam in an A&E department.
@noir

You actually qualify as an Islamophobe noir. I can see you doing an Islamphobic thing right now. Islamophobes don't know anything about the Quran, Islam, Muslims, and the Middle East so they link stuff like the video you linked to.

That video does not delegitimatize Islam at all. He didn't even talk about Islam as an ideology or show that a majority of Muslims are doing that, only about the actions of a couple of them. The video also is a sweeping generalization specifically the part where he stated that all Muslims use weapons when usage of firearms is outlawed in many Muslim countries disregarding the fact that a majority of Muslims have never used a weapon in their lives.

This video is a prime example of the "evidence" Islamophobes use. You are literally proving this definition right.
@noir

I watched the entire video. I never saw any evidence from the Quran or even the Hadiths that Islam as an ideology is backwards. I only saw sweeping generalizations of Muslims and about a small number of Muslims committing crimes the applying that to all Muslims.
@B0ycey

I agree that media does contribute to the rise in Islamophobia over the years. The media is giving lots of fuel for Islamophobes to post things that only generalize and dehumanize Muslims and do nothing to criticize Islam or the habits of a majority of the Muslim population. It only takes the actions of a couple of Muslims and blames it on all Muslims and Islam.
By skinster
noir wrote:Did you bother to watch the Egyptian journalist view? You won't get such comment on the BBC.

Oxymandias wrote:I watched the entire video. I never saw any evidence from the Quran or even the Hadiths that Islam as an ideology is backwards. I only saw sweeping generalizations of Muslims and about a small number of Muslims committing crimes the applying that to all Muslims.

That's because MEMRI is an Islamophobic source that is connected to Israel. You can read more about that here.

I've posted about that before here, after noir, who you correctly call an Islamophobe, posted dumb shit from that awful org. What next, another Tommy Robinson tweet? :lol:
@skinster

Make sure to save this definition of an Islamophobe and post it whenever you see an Islamophobe that says that he isn't an Islamophobe (afterward point out the statements of his/her that shows her to be an Islamophobe) or anyone who says that Islamophobia doesn't exist. We need to spread this around.
@noir

Noir, you fit my definition for an Islamophobe in every single way. I think I should at to my definition "Islamophobes are also often in denial of being Islamophobes". You fit the definition noir.

@skinster

Honestly the best way to shut someone up is to show them this definition. After that enough some popcorn as they try so hard to prove they either aren't an Islamophobe or that Islamophobia doesn't exist.
This thread is basically about an Islamophile giving his own definition of 'islamophobia' in order to rule out all dissent and/or criticism of his favourite religion. Naturally he's not a Muslim, and he's only defending their freedom of religion from the malevolent freedom-curtailing 'Right'. Oh, how he hates those rightests. He's even made a list of categories for these thought criminals. You wouldn't want to end up in one of these categories, now would you? Then simply don't criticize the Islamic religion.

And sure, this religion is even more reactionary, violent and historically pernicious than the religion he so utterly despises - Christianity - but these people of swarthy skin colour are such vulnerable minorities. We must simply respect their religio-cultural identities! Saying something critical about them is but thinly veiled racism. Nothing but an excuse. The white colonial devil shouldn't be able to say anything about them! They're all Nazis. Nazis in denial! And Nazis behind your back! And their evil little white babies need to be purged from the face of the earth. :lol:
By noir
@The Sabbaticus Would you call a Muslim, Islamophile? The term is saved for outsiders. Oxymandias is probably a brother. No doubt the Muslims are suffering from general attitude they call "Islamophobia" which naturally effects one self esteem, but they don't do anything to improve Islam. Christoper Hitchens is right about "a term invented by fascists", it's said that the popular indroduction of the term was made by Tariq Ramadan, a Swiss academic and grandson of the founder of Islamic Brotherhood in Egypt, Hassan al-Banna, (his father was exiled by Nasser) which was indeed inspired by the German Nazism and Italian Fascism.
@The Sabbaticus

If you are making such assertions you need to back them up. I will not tolerate false hoods. No where in my definition does it rule out criticism, it only rules out hyperbole and generalizations and demonizations. If you need to rely on hyperbole and generalizations to criticize something anyway then you probably know nothing about the subject and should shut up. The rest of the definition is an observation of Islamophobes. It seems to me you haven't even read anything about the definition I provided at all or you wouldn't be posting this post at all.

The categories mentioned don't have to be Islamophobes, they are simply often Islamophobes and are more likely to have Islamophobic tendencies than others. Nor is anyone who thinks Islam is bad or anything in any of those categories. The differentiating factor between critics and Islamophobes is that Islamophobes are obsessed with and fearful of Muslims and Islam and demonize them. The demonization part is the indicator. Islamophobes are obsessed with "the Muslim threat", "The War of Civilizations", "the Crusades". They are head over heels in stating Islam "danger" professing large remarks that should have a good bit of evidence behind them yet are nothing more empty words. Whenever they can, they talk about how horrible Islam or Muslims are and try to make any discussion about Muslims or subconsciously do so.

I demand evidence of this fact, and not just historical events you vaguely understand with no sources. And when you do, please don't mistaken the Islamic Empire for Islam.

Do not ever make such a stupid and insolent assumption ever again. I have never ever made a bad remark about Christianity at all let alone show anything that shows I despise it. And then you go on and pretend that you know me, that you can generalize me and put into a neat little pile where you think I fit, no, when you know I fit. You think you can psycho-analyze me assuming everything about my background, history, interests, hobbies, personality, ideals, race, religion, and family and shove me, a unique individual, into a category. You think that people can be just organized, that liberals, conservatives, and everyone else all have a predetermined personality, history, ideals, race, and religion. You think that there is no complexities in the world and that everything in the world is neat and tidy

Well you done fucked up amigo. At least when you generalize Muslims and Liberals you can trick others into falling into the generalization trap, at least you can be somewhat right. But here, you're generalizing a fucking person, an individual stranger you never knew in your entire life, you never even saw the face of. You have nothing to generalize from, absolutely nothing. And when try to organize a person, that's when your little organization detector fucks up. Because with groups you have stereotypes to use, but with a person you don't have anything. If you said everything you said to me to someone in real life who did nothing but defend a Muslim from harassment you would either get a punch in the face or everyone in the surrounding area will shun you. And even if you were in a conservative area this would be the case. Why? Because you just tried to act cool and psycho-analyze someone as if you think you know them but when you fail, you fail big.
@noir

Next time, meet me in real life and say that to my face. The only fucking reason why I talk about Islam here to begin with is because you people decided to connect it with the Middle East like how most ignorant Westerners usually do (actually you guys aren't ignorant at all, I told you to stop referring to the Middle East as the Islamic World or all Middle Easterners as Muslims, but you didn't listen. So you're just a bunch toxic and stupid Westerners) and then the Westerners assume that the literal only thing the Middle East has is Islam since that's the only fucking thing they know about the Middle East. I talk about Islam because you make Islam = Middle East. That's literally it.

Ever heard of Quranism?
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

@Tainari88 @JohnRawls Trump is an extraordin[…]

No one is more manly than me. We know there is […]

https://youtu.be/7w9NIPYrxRQ Standard dehumaniz[…]

A long war with a lot of mistakes. Listen to thi[…]