The Celestial Thread - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For the discussion of Philosophy. Discuss thought from Socrates to the Enlightenment and beyond!

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be debated in this forum, but those of religious belief who specifically wish to avoid threads being derailed by atheist arguments might prefer to use the Spirituality forum.
By ness31
I have butterflies in my tummy starting this thread. A thread about The Celestial using an online medium..hm, if this doesn’t create a black hole or open a window to another universe I will be bitterly disappointed :p

So what happens in a Celestial Thread? Maybe some reminiscing, maybe some score settling - either way, it’s bound to be a hoot.

I’d like to kick things off, though I am a novice in the area. At this time of my life, I am somewhat obsessed with Time, both the notion and the herb. And therefore I must declare that my favourite god right now, is Chronos. One would be hard pressed to find an arch rival more intellectually dazzling than the Father of Time.

Having said that, I also have a soft spot for Atlas and major crush on Poseidon (although I prefer the name Neptune :D )

So PoFo, will you be drawn into this convo and share some of your favourite notions on the Celestial?
I've always identified most strongly with the mature (later era) version of Dionysus, the Greek god of wine, drunkenness, religious fervor/madness, and so on. The moment I read a description of him as being a guy completely drunk and running around with a very erect dingus I thought to myself, "That will be me one drunken night some years into the future." And so it came to pass.
By ness31
Part of the reigning appeal of the gods is their relatability to humans. I have no doubt there will be others like you Bulaba...and more than a few Aphrodite’s
I agree with you very strongly. Being able to relate to the gods, or a single god, is an integral component. I drifted away from Mormonism, and from Lutheranism, partly because of the inherent contradictions of the (vile) character of the god described in the LDS scriptures and the Bible and basic ethics and morality. It's a dead horse I've beaten a lot, so I'm not going to list off all the terrible things in the Bible or anything, but I'll leave it at what I've said because it should be obvious what I mean.
By ness31
It’s hard not to sound disrespectful, but I’m not a massive fan of the portrayal of the God in the Hebrew Scriptures either. I can’t remember which one he’s supposed to be...Zeus I think.. :?:

You are already in one. He says his race is being[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

Most of us non- white men have found a different […]

Fake, it's reinvestment in communities attacked on[…]

It is not an erosion of democracy to point out hi[…]