Is time timeless? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For the discussion of Philosophy. Discuss thought from Socrates to the Enlightenment and beyond!

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be debated in this forum, but those of religious belief who specifically wish to avoid threads being derailed by atheist arguments might prefer to use the Spirituality forum.
By B0ycey
To bring in some thought back into Agora, lets bring in a new concept to debate.

Is time timeless?

And by that, I mean can all time exist at once? From the start of the big bang, right to the end of the universe, somewhere out there eveything is occuring now and only the rate and speed (relative) of your experience of time is different depending on the spacetime you occupy - which in turn limits what you are able to observe.

Why could this be possible? Light is traveling at a speed which by definition is timeless (or would cease time). Being that light is timeless, it is not inconceivable to consider time as nothing more than a sensation or perception of our minds of movement between segments (occupied space) of spacetime. We know you can manipulate time by the speed you travel at (so time is not fixed) but could it also be possible that time is nothing more than the flicking through pages of a book or an 3D animation if you will and that everything that we know or will ever know has already occured but only our perception of that experience has yet to reach the spacetime of that occurrence?
By Rancid
My understanding is that time is effectively an illusion to help us cope with the existence of the universe. Effectively, the past, present, and future all exist together. We just experience it in pieces.

Some shit like that.
By Crantag
Rancid wrote:My understanding is that time is effectively an illusion to help us cope with the existence of the universe. Effectively, the past, present, and future all exist together. We just experience it in pieces.

Some shit like that.

This sounds like the description in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. (Not saying that to denigrate, as I think Douglas Adams was a pretty perceptive thinker.)

This is interesting, but I'm not quite ready to make the jump to "everything has already happened", maybe because of my own ignorance--though I'm not sure.
By B0ycey
Rancid wrote:My understanding is that time is effectively an illusion to help us cope with the existence of the universe. Effectively, the past, present, and future all exist together. We just experience it in pieces.

Some shit like that.

It's quite ironic you put it like that, because when discussing the same concept with someone else the same point you just said was addressed and the topic went into death. If time was to be timeless and only a perception, you could actually do a Bill Murray in Groundhog day and when you die, return to the beginning of your life again and in essense live life again forever (ie be eternal). But if you also accept the multiverse theory, your choices in every new life you lead could be different altogether.
By Rancid
B0ycey wrote:

It's quite ironic you put it like that, because when discussing the same concept with someone else the same point you just said was addressed and the topic went into death. If time was to be timeless and only a perception, you could actually do a Bill Murray in Groundhog day and when you die, return to the beginning of your life again and in essense live life again forever (ie be eternal). But if you also accept the multiverse theory, your choices in every new life you lead could be different altogether.

Some would argue the universe is basically a video you can rewind and replay. However, you cannot change it.
By Ganeshas Rat
Time is a senseless concept. Objects moving from the same point in the same trajectory at different speeds will have different time. So they don't have some common thing to mark as 'time' and talk about it. Why to talk about it then? There's no time, so there is no timeness or timelessness, you can't experience time, you can't manipulate it. You can just move in spacetime and your weak meat brain grown from experience of 3d space given to it by your eyes will have glitches not able to realize what's going on and inventing weird systems to explain your falling into the fourth dimension as the set of constantly switching parallel worlds that exist simultaneously, and simultaneously means events that happen at the same time, and time means some specific parallel world existing simultaneously where simultaneously means...

But there is no parallel worlds. There's just one world full of spacetime and it has only one 'time': now. We live in eternity.
By Thomasmariel
I believe that time is an interpretation of reality's perpetual history of self-defence. The origin has never been absent, being always present. However, the origin wants to be self-aware of its power, and time is a consequence of the struggle to gain self-awareness
By ness31

Some shit like that.

Yep, totes some shit like this^^^

I see our concept of time as a kind of default position. Lots of other stuff can happen in and around your personal space time if you want it to and if you are observant enough. Should you get lost whilst ‘dabbling’ then our default perception of time kicks in and you can find your way back to what makes sense.

Like the home button on an i phone :)

On a complete side note - I think the royal family have something to do with securing our concept of time and that the 2 world wars we had were very much to do with time and it’s manipulation. I don’t know why I have these hunches :?:
By Atlantis
B0ycey wrote:Can you not "see" the hands move on an analogue watch?

I can't. I just see the hand in one position, and then in another position. That there has been movement is speculation. If you keep on dividing the interval between one position and another indefinitely to see what actually happens, then you get to a point where time stands still in eternity.
By B0ycey
Atlantis wrote:I can't. I just see the hand in one position, and then in another position. That there has been movement is speculation. If you keep on dividing the interval between one position and another indefinitely to see what actually happens, then you get to a point where time stands still in eternity.

You can debate the systematics or perception of time, but whatever time is, we do rely on our senses to determine what it actually is. Time is not senseless. Indeed it relies on our senses. In fact you could argue that without our senses, there might not even be such a thing as time to debate.

Nonetheless the point you made was valid.
Time is the succession of percepts in one's experience, all else is either imputed or held to by faith, but our immediate experience of percepts as a sequence is what we generally define as "time."

Time being timeless or timely or any other such jargon is nothing more than to postulate a tautology or a contradiction for mere rhetorical purposes.
By Citizen J
Modern physics experiments show space is non-local. This is the basis for quantum entanglement.
But similar experiments are showing that time is also non-local; perhaps as non-local as spacial objects. Meaning that future events seem capable of influencing past conditions.
We have already proven that space is pixelated at the Planck length - lending credence to the simulation hypothesis. It's entirely possible that time is equally pixelated, suggesting time shares the same quantum oddities as space.
By Hindsite
B0ycey wrote:Is time timeless?

And by that, I mean can all time exist at once?

On earth we measure time by the rotation of the earth.
So as we count time, it has a beginning and an ending.
This is why we relate to time as past, present, and future.
And so to us, all time can not exist at once.
By B0ycey
Hindsite wrote:On earth we measure time by the rotation of the earth.
So as we count time, it has a beginning and an ending.
This is why we relate to time as past, present, and future.
And so to us, all time can not exist at once.

Your avatar would be so sad with this quote.

Time today is actually measured by the speed of light. Why? Because time is not fixed but light according to scientists (but not me) is. The rotation of the earth determines 'only' the lengths of days - which are getting longer. If time was calculated by the earths rotation, this would create a headache for accurate timekeeping.

But back on topic, once light is created, because of the speed it travels at, it is essentially timeless. The light, 'according to light' exists everywhere from its creation to its demise. So using that logic, the universe must also exist today from its beginning to its end. We exist in one part of spacetime. We travel at a much slower speed within this spacetime. Because we travel at a slower speed, our minds are able to create a sensation of time. But, that doesn't mean that everything that has happened and yet to happen doesn't exist at some point in the universe. It only means our peception, due to our minds capability, doesn't allow us to see that everything has happened that's all.
By Hindsite
B0ycey wrote:Your avatar would be so sad with this quote.

Time today is actually measured by the speed of light. Why? Because time is not fixed but light according to scientists (but not me) is. The rotation of the earth determines 'only' the lengths of days - which are getting longer. If time was calculated by the earths rotation, this would create a headache for accurate timekeeping.

But back on topic, once light is created, because of the speed it travels at, it is essentially timeless.

Actually, the rotation of the earth with it's orbit around the sun determines the length of the day and the night which totals 24 hours of time for each rotation and a year of time for a complete orbit around the sun.
By B0ycey
Hindsite wrote:Actually, the rotation of the earth with it's orbit around the sun determines the length of the day and the night which totals 24 hours of time for each rotation and a year of time for a complete orbit around the sun.

Do you believe the earth spins around on its axis 24hr precisely?
By anarchist23
As you get older time seems to accelerate, this is a well documented fact.

“Where did the time go?” middle-aged and older adults often remark. Many of us feel that time passes more quickly as we age, a perception that can lead to regrets. According to psychologist and BBC columnist Claudia Hammond, “the sensation that time speeds up as you get older is one of the biggest mysteries of the experience of time.” Fortunately, our attempts to unravel this mystery have yielded some intriguing findings.
In 2005, for instance, psychologists Marc Wittmann and Sandra Lenhoff, both then at Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, surveyed 499 participants, ranging in age from 14 to 94 years, about the pace at which they felt time moving—from “very slowly” to “very fast.” For shorter durations—a week, a month, even a year—the subjects' perception of time did not appear to increase with age. Most participants felt that the clock ticked by quickly. But for longer durations, such as a decade, a pattern emerged: older people tended to perceive time as moving faster. When asked to reflect on their lives, the participants older than 40 felt that time elapsed slowly in their childhood but then accelerated steadily through their teenage years into early adulthood.
There are good reasons why older people may feel that way. When it comes to how we perceive time, humans can estimate the length of an event from two very different perspectives: a prospective vantage, while an event is still occurring, or a retrospective one, after it has ended. In addition, our experience of time varies with whatever we are doing and how we feel about it. In fact, time does fly when we are having fun. Engaging in a novel exploit makes time appear to pass more quickly in the moment. But if we remember that activity later on, it will seem to have lasted longer than more mundane experiences.
The reason? Our brain encodes new experiences, but not familiar ones, into memory, and our retrospective judgment of time is based on how many new memories we create over a certain period. In other words, the more new memories we build on a weekend getaway, the longer that trip will seem in hindsight.
This phenomenon, which Hammond has dubbed the holiday paradox, seems to present one of the best clues as to why, in retrospect, time seems to pass more quickly the older we get. From childhood to early adulthood, we have many fresh experiences and learn countless new skills. As adults, though, our lives become more routine, and we experience fewer unfamiliar moments. As a result, our early years tend to be relatively overrepresented in our autobiographical memory and, on reflection, seem to have lasted longer. Of course, this means we can also slow time down later in life. We can alter our perceptions by keeping our brain active, continually learning skills and ideas, and exploring new places.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... -with-age/

@FiveofSwords , when do you plan to call for a r[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

There are intelligent and stupid ways to retain p[…]

This thread displays clearly how easily liberals a[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Friedrich Engels once said, “All that exists dese[…]