The Banality of Contemporary Architecture - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For the discussion of Philosophy. Discuss thought from Socrates to the Enlightenment and beyond!

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be debated in this forum, but those of religious belief who specifically wish to avoid threads being derailed by atheist arguments might prefer to use the Spirituality forum.
I'll start this off by showing what architecture used to look like:

This is Romanesque architecture from the early medieval era.

This is Gothic architecture, from the late medieval era.

This is Baroque architecture, from the Renaissance.

This is Art Deco from the early 20th century, perhaps the last great movement in architecture.

Now let's look at some more contemporary architectural styles:

This style is known as "Brutalism."

This style is known as "Blobitecture."

This style is known as "Deconstructivist" architecture.

What happened?

The architectural styles of old followed sets of principles involving symmetry, proportion, and ornamentation. Each had its own features and sets of standards, even ideological foundations. Baroque, for instance, was a rather intentional movement by the Catholic church as part of the Counter-Reformation, seeking to create an art form that was accessible to the masses while speaking to the splendor and glory of the God and His church. Yet while each style had its own conventions, they shared an appreciation for certain aesthetic principles. At the very least, they shared the principle that architecture should be beautiful.

Yet that appreciation for beauty has been stripped away in modern architecture. Just as modernity has come to cast doubt on be suspicious of any sort of objective morality, all the more so does it sneer at the idea of beauty. It's far too subjective, culturally constructed, ethnocentric, not to mention bourgeois. Surely it's just in the eye of the beholder. Aren't we just favoring Western standards of beauty anyway? Well, here are some architectural marvels from around the world. Let's see if they count as beautiful to our culturally constructed Western eye:

A mosque in Iran

Forbidden City, China

A Japanese Shinto temple

An Ethiopian Orthodox church

An Indian temple complex

Surely we can see many different architectural conventions in these different buildings, but we can see some similarities as well, which are not shared by much of contemporary architecture, including appreciation for complex symmetry, ornamentation, and proportion. Yet the modern ethos demanded a thorough rejection of these classical aesthetics. The American architect Louis Sullivan coined the phrase "form follows function." Though Sullivan himself designed some rather beautiful buildings full of ornament, subsequent architects took his words as a battle cry against ornamentation, especially after Alfred Loos' essay "Ornament and Crime," which declared that a lack of ornament was a "sign of spiritual strength." Architects began to streamline their designs into simple, uninteresting blocks serving a purely utilitarian function. When postmodern architects rebelled against the confines of modernism, they did not seek to revive what was beautiful in previous forms of architecture, but instead began morphing buildings into bizarre and distorted shapes. They certainly weren't about to acknowledge any validity to classical aesthetics.

Modern architects will defend their work by saying that it is "honest." The world is a cruel, unforgiving place, and their architecture is simply reflecting that. It's not even an insult to call their buildings "ugly," because "ugly" has no meaning anymore. They are simply bringing us the truth, warts and all. There is a deeply anti-democratic ethos among architects. They care little for what the unsophisticated masses might want in their public buildings. As architects, they should be the taste-makers, and other people should learn to appreciate their work. It's hardly a coincidence that Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead features as its hero an architect who blows up his own building to deny others the opportunity to change it. Certainly there's something to be said about the unsophistication of popular tastes: If we went purely by that, Thomas Kinkade would be the greatest painter ever. Yet popular taste and sophistication can coincide with one another, as for example in the works of Shakespeare. Or, for that matter, pre-modern architecture.

While there are many arguments to be made for modern art that may defy popular tastes, modern architecture is something we all have to live with, in ways that we don't when it comes to pieces in an art gallery. Aesthetics are a public good, and constant exposure to bad aesthetics is harmful to the psyche. The people deserve beauty, and the modern world has robbed them of that.

This is not to say that we should uncritically try to pull a bunch of elements from past architectural forms - that's how you end up with McMansions. But we should re-examine the architecture of the past to really try to appreciate what made it work, and then build upon that with our modern buildings. There is wisdom in classical aesthetics, and we need that in a world that has been so mechanized and drained of its soul.
This is not to say that we should uncritically try to pull a bunch of elements from past architectural forms - that's how you end up with McMansions. But we should re-examine the architecture of the past to really try to appreciate what made it work, and then build upon that with our modern buildings. There is wisdom in classical aesthetics, and we need that in a world that has been so mechanized and drained of its soul.

One issue is the notion of commercial architecture is that in modern times it is seen as temporary. Buildings are seen as having a useful life. This effects the materials used and it compresses the amortization of investment in commercial buildings.

With regard to public buildings, I believe that the nondescript nature of new buildings speaks to our disdain for government. Government was once seen as majestic, important and permanent. The court house, for example, used to represent the immortal law from the dome on top to the dark paneling and raised dais of the court room. Now it is just another building with the only observable decoration being the pretty window tint and obligatory fountain or 'art' piece out front. (And the art piece is an amorphous blob of something that some MFA student wishes to pass off as beautiful.

Another force for the move from beautiful public buildings is the movement of the moneyed classes from 'downtown' to the suburbs. Why build these beautiful public buildings where only "minorities and poor people" will enjoy them? There was once an excitement in "going downtown". Now there is none, particularly in the US where land is easy to come by.

Finally it is noteworthy that many of your examples are religious in purpose. There is a distinct message in these buildings that can be forgone in our hand-wringing protestant nation. Churches cannot count on perpetual funding like once before. Their budgets are falling and the balkanization of denominational religion sends people scurrying back and forth rather than supporting one flavor for generations.

Finally. We are used to magnificence and it has become mundane. Look at the opening scene in Star Wars. Magnificent when the star destroyer came into view. We create magnificent computer generated worlds in which we immerse ourselves at will. Who could build a building to rival the grandeur of the imagination of Avatar's creator on the big screen. Why bother. It takes a lot to get people to say wow these days.
The problem is the fact that the rich people who commission the buildings and the architects who build them are middle class and middle class people all have terrible taste. If it was up to working class people everything would just look mock Georgian, no exactly ideal but still 100 times better than anything we have today.

Our new library is this hideous monstrosity.

Before that the library was this abomination (it used to be the largest non national library in Europe).

Before that it was this lovely building build by a local architect.

It had a wonderful interior too; reminiscent of a cathedral.

Now compare the awful interior of the modern one.

The middle class have vandalised our cities. You could demolish almost every building build in the last 60 or so years and nothing of any ascetic value would be lost.
I'm surprised you don't recognise the quality of Birminghams library @Decky. You can debate the aesthetics of its exterior but inside is a marvel. I would say Birmingham library is by far the best library I have ever been inside and would quite happily do any research or reading in such a complex.
It's hideous, loud and echoey. I can't even imagine trying to actually sit down and read there, you might as well try doing so inside the Bullring or New Street Station. The only good thing about it is the fine view of the city you get from the top.
We live in Britain where it rains ninety nine days out of a hundred not the costa del fucking sol. :eh: Were you in the real Birmingham or Birmingham Alabama?
Decky wrote:We live in Britain where it rains ninety nine days out of a hundred not the costa del fucking sol. :eh: Were you in the real Birmingham or Birmingham Alabama?

Well read in New Street then Decky... oh wait that's been redesigned to give the sensation of space too. Perhaps the Bullring. Nope. Modern. Looks like you'll have to move to Coventry. Their architecture is most definitely up your street.
Last edited by B0ycey on 15 Dec 2017 21:41, edited 1 time in total.
Modern architecture is is painful in comparison with the past. The sad part, is that with modern materials and engendering we can build more beautiful structures that had not been possible in the past. Instead ironically the ugliest are being build.
I'm glad libraries were brought up. DrLee correctly pointed out that most of my examples of classical architecture are places of worship. Yet there are countless libraries around the world that have been places of exquisite beauty:

Same thing with opera houses:

And even some of the first universities:

I chalk this up to the fact that the arts and sciences were once seen as ways of approaching the divine, not something separate from attending mass.
I basically agree, I'm all for a new architectural movement that at the very least is based on the idea of being stimulating and enjoyable rather than totally depressing. My universities buildings look like crap and seem to have been built with the belief that grey concrete is a lovely design choice. :hmm:
mikema63 wrote:My universities buildings look like crap and seem to have been built with the belief that grey concrete is a lovely design choice.

The architect who designed it would likely cite the principle of truth to materials:
Truth to materials is a tenet of modern architecture (as opposed to postmodern architecture), which holds that any material should be used where it is most appropriate and its nature should not be hidden. Concrete, therefore, should not be painted and the means of its construction should be celebrated – by, for instance, not sanding away marks left by timber shuttering.

Incidentally, my freshman-year dorm was designed by a prison architect. :knife:
How is "form follows function" expressed in decontructivism and blobitecture? They look like they are forms first, with function being jammed in some way or another.
Thunderhawk wrote:How is "form follows function" expressed in decontructivism and blobitecture? They look like they are forms first, with function being jammed in some way or another.

It's not. "Form follows function" is a principle of modern architecture, while blobitecture is a form of postmodern architecture. My point is that modern architecture first got rid of everything that was beautiful about classic architecture, and then postmodern architecture, rather than bring back that beauty, decided that was beautiful was messing with the shape of building to make them into some bizarre monstrosity.
Royal Ontario Museum
Before:

With new Addition:

The inside of the addition was a bit rough when I was last there (felt like the rushed construction and then never finished), and there are some weird open areas within - good for staging and rest stops for groups, eye wasted space from a solitary POV. Doesnt match the feeling of the rest of the building, but still works. The side with the crystal is now the defacto main entrance and unmissable. In the end I think the addition works well, I just wish the outside looked better.
I wonder if weird/bad style is becoming the norm because it goes hand in hand with updates that are needed. A mediocre improvement in functionality in a situation where something/anything is needed is seen as a great positive while a classical alternative, even theoretically better, remains unknown and not thought about because its 1) not built or 2) not noticed, so the new design is associated with the positive, making it more acceptable.
Thunderhawk wrote:Doesnt match the feeling of the rest of the building, but still works. The side with the crystal is now the defacto main entrance and unmissable. In the end I think the addition works well, I just wish the outside looked better.

I don't think it works :hmm:

We have a similar "modern addition" at the Landesmuseum in Zurich, which looks like a bunker from a Star Wars movie :lol:

There are monstrosities everywhere, here is my favourite right in the middle of Budapest:

Nothing special just the usual steel-and-glass office building placed in an environment in which it doesn't fit at all. It defines the landscape so much though that it became the symbol of the square where it is located. :hmm:

Calvin Square
Rugoz wrote:I don't think it works :hmm:

We have a similar "modern addition" at the Landesmuseum in Zurich, which looks like a bunker from a Star Wars movie :lol:

I meant the inside, as a museum space, works.
As for your example.. Im not sure if it looks better or worse. :hmm:

Lol this is why I know better than to even try to[…]

Again, this is not some sort of weird therapy w[…]

Indictments have occured in Arizona over the fake […]

Ukraine already has cruise missiles (Storm Shadow)[…]