The GOP's view of Jesus's teachings. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For the discussion of Philosophy. Discuss thought from Socrates to the Enlightenment and beyond!

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be debated in this forum, but those of religious belief who specifically wish to avoid threads being derailed by atheist arguments might prefer to use the Spirituality forum.
#14967424
One Degree wrote:Two seconds was enough. Why start a thread about a propaganda video? Geesh!

With all due respect, please tell me your definition of propaganda in your sentence.
Seriously, it has 2 major definitions and I need to know your meaning before I can respond.
#14967426
Steve_American wrote:With all due respect, please tell me your definition of propaganda in your sentence.
Seriously, it has 2 major definitions and I need to know your meaning before I can respond.


In this case, information used to influence a point of view with emotion instead of reason.
#14967429
One Degree wrote:In this case, information used to influence a point of view with emotion instead of reason.

Thank you for the quick reply.
OK, I said it was sort of sick, right.
OTOH, I don't get your point.
Appealing to emotion is how you win in political discourse.
Asking your opponent to not use this technique seems like asking too much until your own side stops also.
Reason doesn't seems to be able to reach most people who deny AGW. Reason just doesn't convince people.
#14967434
Steve_American wrote:Thank you for the quick reply.
OK, I said it was sort of sick, right.
OTOH, I don't get your point.
Appealing to emotion is how you win in political discourse.
Asking your opponent to not use this technique seems like asking too much until your own side stops also.
Reason doesn't seems to be able to reach most people who deny AGW. Reason just doesn't convince people.


Good people’s actions are not dictated by the actions of others. Yes, emotion works for politicians but we hate them and one another as a result. No justification is acceptable with those results.
#14967684
Victoribus Spolia wrote:More stupid propaganda and poor contextualizing by people who don't really give a fuck about Christianity anyway.


No, it was dead on, conservatives are trash.
#14967702
Steve_American wrote:Reason doesn't seems to be able to reach most people who deny AGW.


You're just as bad as those people. It's funny how you people all think it's the other side that's full of shit, you're all full of shit. A good analogy is star trek, in star trek every race has a thing, the klingons are warriors, the romulans are fascists, the vulcans are logical, if this was star trek the humans would be the bullshiter race. Earth would be planet bullshit, a cacophony of idiotic manufactured controversies and imbecilic ideologies just banging it out in one giant never ending worldwide bullshit fest.
#14967707
Sivad wrote:You're just as bad as those people. It's funny how you people all think it's the other side that's full of shit, you're all full of shit. A good analogy is star trek, in star trek every race has a thing, the klingons are warriors, the romulans are fascists, the vulcans are logical, if this was star trek the humans would be the bullshiter race. Earth would be planet bullshit, a cacophony of idiotic manufactured controversies and imbecilic ideologies just banging it out in one giant never ending worldwide bullshit fest.


You said; ''banging it out'' :excited:

But seriously, it appears then that Christianity is correct, that close to our origin is an primordial anthropological calamity, and the result of which we have fallen. Not entirely into ruin collectively speaking, but something which lies within us, an evil root, which can only be pulled out with Divine Help and our cooperation.
#14967725
annatar1914 wrote:
You said; ''banging it out'' :excited:

But seriously, it appears then that Christianity is correct, that close to our origin is an primordial anthropological calamity, and the result of which we have fallen. Not entirely into ruin collectively speaking, but something which lies within us, an evil root, which can only be pulled out with Divine Help and our cooperation.

If you are right, then, God has done a shitty job of keeping Christians from being evil as fuck from time to time.
. . I point to the Crusaders slaughtering Syrian Christians, the Albigensian Crusade, the Spanish Inquisition, the witch burning craze, 288 years of religious wars between the Catholics and Protestants, and now Evangelicals backing an evil Godless man like Trump, and many others.
#14967727
Steve_American wrote:If you are right, then, God has done a shitty job of keeping Christians from being evil as fuck from time to time.
. . I point to the Crusaders slaughtering Syrian Christians, the Albigensian Crusade, the Spanish Inquisition, the witch burning craze, 288 years of religious wars between the Catholics and Protestants, and now Evangelicals backing an evil Godless man like Trump, and many others.


I point you to the Talmud(only low population numbers have kept these people from enforcing this crap) and the Quran:



God has done a shitty job of keeping Christians from being evil

Why focus just on Christians? Holy scriptures of Judaism(Talmud and other stuff) and Quran are way worse then than the holy scriptures of Christianity (Inc Jewish Tanakh as Old Testament).

Edit: Spelling correction
Last edited by colliric on 29 Nov 2018 06:55, edited 1 time in total.
#14967736
colliric wrote:
I point you to the Talmud(only low popultion numbers have kept these people from enforcing this crap) and the Quran:
https:/=/youtu.be/tVSZV0BtmPo
https:/=/youtu.be/mgFfj-5obPM


Why focus just on Christians? Holy scriptures of Judaism(Talmud and other stuff) and Quran are way worse then than the holy scriptures of Christianity (Inc Jewish Tanakh as Old Testament).

I focused on Christians because annatar1914 is a Christian and referenced Christianity.
I agree Islam is quite a bit worse and Jews have mellowed and are few.
#14967737
If you are right, then, God has done a shitty job of keeping Christians from being evil as fuck from time to time.


Funny how non-Christians hold Christians to a Christian moral and ethical code but not themselves, most curious. And yet, what you said is quite wrong, you're being quite... judgemental. Many Christians have led exemplary lives by Christian standards, but only so with God's help, while evil Christians have not availed themselves of God's help. We're all sinners. Christianity is like a Hospital, not a Courtroom.


. . I point to the Crusaders slaughtering Syrian Christians, the Albigensian Crusade, the Spanish Inquisition, the witch burning craze, 288 years of religious wars between the Catholics and Protestants, and now Evangelicals backing an evil Godless man like Trump, and many others.


I try not to judge anyone too personally, for I know mainly myself, and my heart is wicked. But God is good and merciful and loves mankind. I am Orthodox Christian, with Roman Catholic and Protestants among family and friends, and have certain theological opinions on the incidents you've mentioned, but not edifying in this context. I hope you are not just trying to score cheap political points during a very political time in modern society, because otherwise thinking too much about placing the ''other side'' politically to your own in such rigid Manichean categories would be unhinged, frankly. I for example have Potemkin and Victoribus Spolia as friends here on PoFo. Among others. All are very different and very opinionated. But I suspect that they all know that politics is not a substitute for a full life outside of it.

Just saying.

Fuck off. Society works by people executing tasks[…]

The Wuhan virus—how are we doing?

Randomly copying and pasting whole articles with n[…]

Actually it is the very reason that I am on PoF[…]

Trump and Russiagate

FBI Director Christopher Wray on Thursday describe[…]