The GOP's view of Jesus's teachings. - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For the discussion of Philosophy. Discuss thought from Socrates to the Enlightenment and beyond!

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be debated in this forum, but those of religious belief who specifically wish to avoid threads being derailed by atheist arguments might prefer to use the Spirituality forum.
#15054639
As people become more educated, I find that that stupid saying of people getting more conservative as they grow older, isn't true. It's true of the stupid people, however, as less educated people tend to be more conservative.
#15054655
Robert Urbanek wrote:Many people become more conservative as they grow older. So, Christ is probably looking back at his younger self and saying, “Jeez, what was I thinking?”
To be fair, few religious leaders live to an old age. I can only think of Buddha and Mohammed the Prophet.
#15054677
Patrickov wrote:To be fair, few religious leaders live to an old age. I can only think of Buddha and Mohammed the Prophet.

Moses was another, as was Confucius. And Lao Tzu. And Zhuang-zi. And Zoroaster. And.... yeah, there have been a few actually. :)
#15054680
Potemkin wrote:Moses was another, as was Confucius. And Lao Tzu. And Zhuang-zi. And Zoroaster. And.... yeah, there have been a few actually. :)
Moses' age was recorded as 140, IMHO disputable. Neither Confucius nor Zhuang-zi were religious leaders, and as a matter of fact Confucius was himself a conservative almost from the start.
#15054681
Patrickov wrote:Moses' age was recorded as 140, IMHO disputable.

It's in the Bible, so it must be true, you heretic! :excited:

Neither Confucius nor Zhuang-zi were religious leaders, and as a matter of fact Confucius was himself a conservative almost from the start.

Nevertheless, religions were later founded based on their teachings. So they count. Lol. :)
#15054738
@Godstud

Godstud wrote:As people become more educated, I find that that stupid saying of people getting more conservative as they grow older, isn't true. It's true of the stupid people, however, as less educated people tend to be more conservative.


I think you are correct for the most part. But I have also seen where educated people are conservative (which is not necessarily a bad thing in and of itself unless they are narrow minded and racist). Some people are just as ignorant when they walked into the classroom as the day they graduate with their college degrees. There has to be a willingness on the part of people who enter the classroom to have an open mind and to really learn. The opportunity is there for some people but it's up to them to fully take advantage of those opportunities if they are privileged enough and fortunate enough to have those opportunities.

If they walk in the classroom and go through the motions and complete the work but never opened their mind to learning then they will be just as ignorant as they were when they walked into the classroom. I don't think people are stupid though. There is a difference between stupidity and ignorance. People can be smart but ignorant. For example, some of the Nazis were smart but ignorant.

Education can combat ignorance, so long as the person who enters the classroom is willing to enter that classroom with an open mind, be willing to actually learn something, work hard, the classroom instruction and work is sufficient. That's the key though: so long as the person who enters the classroom is willing to enter that classroom with an open mind, work hard and actually be willing to learn something (and the classroom instruction and work is sufficient) instead of going through the motions to get a passing grade.

It's up to the individual to take the initiative even if the classroom work and instruction is insufficient. You take a look at some of the top Nazis from World War II and some of them had Ph Ds. You also have some people who take the knowledge they learn and toss away ethics if they ever learned any ethics or had any ethics in the first place and use that knowledge to do evil things too.
#15054745
Potemkin wrote:Nevertheless, religions were later founded based on their teachings. So they count. Lol. :)


Confucianism is not a religion, despite Sid Meier having tried to portray otherwise in his Civilization series.

Taoism is little more than a botched attempt, with Zhuang Zi being only one of the referenced, but not the most important one, unlike Buddha.
#15054752
Robert Urbanek wrote:Many people become more conservative as they grow older. So, Christ is probably looking back at his younger self and saying, “Jeez, what was I thinking?”

I'd rather believe he's either an old hippie or a social liberal governor of heaven.
#15054754
Beren wrote:I'd rather believe he's either an old hippie or a social liberal governor of heaven.

Long hair? Check.
Sandals? Check.
Beard? Check.
Peacenik? Check.
Never had a steady job? Check.

Yup, old hippie. :hippy:
#15054766
Beren wrote:He'd been a self-employed carpenter before he tried his hand at the messiah business.

Image

Guess that didn't work out too well for him, since he tried his hand as an itinerant preacher? Maybe he should have become a plumber. People always need plumbers. :)
#15055433
Potemkin wrote:Guess that didn't work out too well for him, since he tried his hand as an itinerant preacher? Maybe he should have become a plumber. People always need plumbers. :)


@Potemkin that is a stupid assertion and you know it, since Jewish Rabbi's in his time generally had two jobs because in his day it was the lowest entry level religious vocation(more of a Saturday hobby really) and not the elitist religious vocation it is considered today. That was simply the state of Judaism back then. Rabbi's didn't get a gazillion bucks in donations back then. They had to pay their way and look after their finances(Judas was the treasurer who's "job" within the group was to look after the expenses, remember?). Jesus in fact continued to do carpentry after becoming a Rabbi and likely continued to it to finance his religious mission. Proof: Religiously He had to build his own Sukkot Tent. Made from wood. And he clearly allowed his disciples to occasionally go back to fishing to raise finances since they continue to fish Lake Genesaret all throughout his ministry whenever they happen to be back there(including after he was crucified in the Gospel of John). Jesus also had a good understanding of Real Estate concepts, business issues to do with running vineyards, and how to farm/shepherd sheep profitably.

They didn't even have ordination in his time. The Cohanim and the Sanhedrin, being run by the Pharisees and Sadducees were the establishment in his time. They got the lionshare of that sweet "old widow religious donation" money.
#15055451
colliric wrote:@Potemkin that is a stupid assertion and you know it, since Jewish Rabbi's in his time generally had two jobs because in his day it was the lowest entry level religious vocation(more of a Saturday hobby really) and not the elitist religious vocation it is considered today. That was simply the state of Judaism back then. Rabbi's didn't get a gazillion bucks in donations back then. They had to pay their way and look after their finances(Judas was the treasurer who's "job" within the group was to look after the expenses, remember?). Jesus in fact continued to do carpentry after becoming a Rabbi and likely continued to it to finance his religious mission. Proof: Religiously He had to build his own Sukkot Tent. Made from wood. And he clearly allowed his disciples to occasionally go back to fishing to raise finances since they continue to fish Lake Genesaret all throughout his ministry whenever they happen to be back there(including after he was crucified in the Gospel of John). Jesus also had a good understanding of Real Estate concepts, business issues to do with running vineyards, and how to farm/shepherd sheep profitably.

They didn't even have ordination in his time. The Cohanim and the Sanhedrin, being run by the Pharisees and Sadducees were the establishment in his time. They got the lionshare of that sweet "old widow religious donation" money.

I was being flippant, of course, but I was also making the point that calling Jesus "a self-employed carpenter" is historically inaccurate. He was primarily an itinerant preacher who (by both tradition and necessity) had a manual trade to support himself. He wasn't the 1st century Judean equivalent of Joe the Plumber. Lol.
#15055470
Bart D. Ehrman wrote:Even before he was born, it was known that he would be someone special. A supernatural being informed his mother the child she was to conceive would not be a mere mortal but would be divine. He was born miraculously, and he became an unusually precocious young man. As an adult he left home and went on an itinerant preaching ministry, urging his listeners to live, not for the material things of this world, but for what is spiritual. He gathered a number of disciples around him, who became convinced that his teachings were divinely inspired, in no small part because he himself was divine. He proved it to them by doing many miracles, healing the sick, casting out demons, and raising the dead. But at the end of his life he roused opposition, and his enemies delivered him over to the Roman authorities for judgment, but unlike Jesus was not crucified,[31] as he vanished from the courtroom and reappeared in another place days later where he was seen by his followers,[32] and convinced them that he was not really dead, but lived on in the heavenly realm. Later some of his followers wrote books about him.

There's also stories that he took the Hippy trail to India.
#15055595
Buddhism is older than Christianity by about 500 years, so maybe Jesus did a trip to Tibet and learned a few things, and then went back and taught. :D
#15055621
Godstud wrote:Buddhism is older than Christianity by about 500 years, so maybe Jesus did a trip to Tibet and learned a few things, and then went back and taught. :D


Nope. A little too much of a stretch.

There's also stories that he took the Hippy trail to India.

Jesus is highly unlikely to have gone there himself, nor even ventured significantly outside Israel. It's clear, since as a Religious Jew, he had to stay within Pilgrimage distance of the Temple in Jerusalem his whole life, being obligated to be in Jerusalem 4 times a year(3 official pilgrimages + Hannukah, the optional but in reality also compulsory, pilgrimage). Although several of his disciples did end up in India, after they left Jerusalem.... And ultimately that's where Buddhism originated. Cochin Jews most likely used the Hebrew name version of Jesus, since it was in fact a popular Jewish male name at the time. It's been banned by the Talmud, as part of its whole overall "erase the name of Jesus, and the fact we invented Christianity" Gaslighting mentality.

"To the ends of the earth!"


The power of "Do what the Rabbi says!" Jewish Psychology...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochin_Jews
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_the_Apostle
#15055632
What's so hard to believe about that? Alexander went to India about 350 years earlier. It's probably faster to go there and back without having to conquer everything in between. :)

Jesus always said God was everywhere, so thinking he had to be by some particular temple, seems a bit far-fetched.

Again... Buddhism pre-dates Christianity. Buddhist Thai calendar has the year, now at 2562.

I'm not 100% sure of this. When so many people ar[…]

You can't win the presidency running on raisin[…]

Too Many White People

What happened 100-150 years ago is irrelevant […]

Trump's Dumb Economics

When people run from the fire, I run towards it!$[…]