Describe your religious beliefs please - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For the discussion of Philosophy. Discuss thought from Socrates to the Enlightenment and beyond!

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be debated in this forum, but those of religious belief who specifically wish to avoid threads being derailed by atheist arguments might prefer to use the Spirituality forum.
@Hellas me ponas I am 52! That's not old! :D

I believe in people. I believe in what they are capable of. I guess I am a humanist and believe that when you remove nationalities, religions and other things, we're all essentially the same, and want: a loving family, to be healthy, to have a happy home, to have enough to eat, to have good friends, and the love of a good spouse.

I also tend to be a pragmatic optimist. Finding wisdom and meaning in your life is a result of your experiences. I am not the person I was even 20 years ago. I think I am much better for it, too.
The Tao is the indescribable way which I follow to progress forward through life in an uninterrupted stream of being. In embracing the absurd, I harness aims which my intuition has decided upon in order to justify my continued existence and my natural instinct for survival. I also believe in a certain perennial wisdom found in a communal interpretation of any given religion which must be nurtured at the expense of godless nihilism to prevent the populous from falling into individually and collectively destructive habits. Does God exist? I can't know. Does it really matter?
Local Localist wrote: I also believe in a certain perennial wisdom found in a communal interpretation of any given religion which must be nurtured at the expense of godless nihilism to prevent the populous from falling into individually and collectively destructive habits.
:roll: Morality exists even without religion, and often despite it. I think there's a whole thread dedicated to this FACT.

Some Buddhism and Taoism are "godless". :D
Godstud wrote::roll: Morality exists even without religion, and often despite it. I think there's a whole thread dedicated to this FACT.

Some Buddhism and Taoism are "godless". :D

Well I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree about that. I think it's clear that I didn't mean 'godless' in the literal sense, however.
I am an Orthodox Christian -- under the Ecumenical Patriarch, but the Church itself is made up of Greek or Greek trained clergy, so I am more familiar with that flavor of Orthodoxy. This is, of course, unimportant in the face of Orthodoxy itself, and of Christianity broadly.

@Black Consequense -- check out the Ethiopian Orthodox Tawehedo Church. I do not endorse any religious view that would exclude foreigners or people by race, but I do endorse the idea that gaining more layers of identity and positive conscience is great for people.

I think you could learn a lot.

I also think that you would appreciate the structure, tradition, and ceremony.
Black Consequense wrote:Yes, that was the domination I was thinking of converting, @Verv. It was the first Christian country and the only one not eurocentric.

Not the only one that isn't entirely ''Eurocentric'', but still, I have a soft spot for my divided brethren, the Ethiopians;

Local Localist wrote:Idk that sounds pretty based to me.

Meh. Promoting gay stuff is mainstream these days. Pretty much every big corporation waves a gay flag during pride month. Religious leadership, especially in the West where religion has been going into free fall, will simply follow suit.
Last edited by Code Rood on 10 Jul 2020 18:43, edited 2 times in total.
Code Rood wrote:Meh. Promoting gay stuff is mainstream these days. Pretty much every big corporation waves a gay flag during pride month. Religious leadership, especially in the West where religion has been going into free fall, will simply follow suit.

Good.

I find it hard to imagine this magnificent being who creates all things, sustains all things, is all things, and (perhaps) transcends even time and space, would care about whether or not a pair of sapient primates on a random planet rub similarly shaped genitals together.
Pants-of-dog wrote:I find it hard to imagine this magnificent being who creates all things, sustains all things, is all things, and (perhaps) transcends even time and space, would care about whether or not a pair of sapient primates on a random planet rub similarly shaped genitals together.

I mean he did said fornicators wouldn't enter the Kingdom of Heaven. But it's too good you risk hell for it.
Pants-of-dog wrote:
No, He never said that.

The authors of the Bible did.

Authors were apparently recording what He said to them. In either case Old Testament God and New Testament God feels like two different entities. One is more personal and emotional the other is more powerful, in the background and collected.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

I think future vice-president Kushner has the fact[…]

As someone that pays very close attention to Amer[…]

I (still) have a dream

...Kids don't need to drive anywhere to play with[…]

Jared Kushner is inspired by the real estate pote[…]