A shrinking reality? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For the discussion of Philosophy. Discuss thought from Socrates to the Enlightenment and beyond!

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be debated in this forum, but those of religious belief who specifically wish to avoid threads being derailed by atheist arguments might prefer to use the Spirituality forum.
By late
Beren wrote:
Is it a fantasy of your own?

It's mine, but it's an old joke. If the conversation turns to winning the lottery, I say I want a mansion in California with hot and cold running blondes.

It was California's wine country, originally, before that started burning. And in real life, I prefer redheads and brunettes.

If I did win, first thing I'd do is pack up and go spend some time in europe. I miss it.
By QatzelOk
Beren wrote:That'd be true if people used their imagination, but they rather accept unimaginative, dull, and actually childish lies offered to them by the box.

*bunny image*]

Here, you are smearing "unimaginative, dull, and childish lies" ...as if anything more interesting actually exists outside of the box over one's well-protected head.

If you remove your box, you will see that the "real world" (as real-worldists like to call their "home") is full of hard-to-face truths, exciting stressful events, and it can trigger your imagination to invent ideas and thoughts that the box never forced you to invent.

Box-removal is like "taking off the leash" if you are a dog - a very bad idea if you don't want to get run over by a car or kidnapped by dog-eating gangs from Evilville. (boo!)

late wrote:I want a mansion in California with hot and cold running blondes.

...in real life, I prefer redheads and brunettes.

As your reality shrinks, you will be forced to sleep with very hot blonds. Real life will have nothing to offer you anymore. The box will tell you what you like, and it will provide it for you.

Enjoy the box!
By QatzelOk
late wrote:Your reality shrank after headhunters got ahold of you.

Wearing a nice box over your head, has the additional advantage of protecting you from head-hunters (and from your own shadow) by making you look "just like anyone else."

This erasure of individual character can protect the happy box-wearer from their neighbors and associates, and this is very important for those of us who live in a mass-surveillance society that practices forced conformism at a huge scale.

Vaccum-packed stays "fresh"
By late
QatzelOk wrote:
Wearing a nice box over your head, has the additional advantage of protecting you from head-hunters (and from your own shadow) by making you look "just like anyone else."

This erasure of individual character...

Thank you.

I am 69, and I have never before been accused of lacking individual character. Quite the contrary, and it's something of a curse. I am a pugnacious intellectual, even more in real life than here. Esp. here, the ones I spar with here are a joke. Less than a joke, but that's a topic for another day.

I used to be a compulsive reader. I like to figure things out. I spent decades on education reform. I spent months understanding the Agriculture Dept, which gave me headaches because they work hard to conceal with they do. You ever read my posts on philosophy?

Anyway... that was an amusing change of pace.
By QatzelOk
late wrote:Thank you.

I am 69, and I have never before been accused of lacking individual character. Quite the contrary, and it's something of a curse. I am a pugnacious intellectual, even more in real life than here. Esp. here, the ones I spar with here are a joke. Less than a joke, but that's a topic for another day.

I used to be a compulsive reader. I like to figure things out. I spent decades on education reform. I spent months understanding the Agriculture Dept, which gave me headaches because they work hard to conceal with they do. You ever read my posts on philosophy?

Anyway... that was an amusing change of pace.

Um... that quote wasn't about you. I was referring to the generic "you" (as in, "anyone") and was trying to describe the effects of *the box*.

It seems like your ego, self-esteem and reputation might be near the surface and hanging by a thread. I didn't realize this nor did I want to aggravate this, if it is the case. Which it might not even be.

But I wasn't chanelling this or referring to you specifically at all in the sentence: "Wearing a nice box over your head, has the additional advantage of protecting you from head-hunters... " nor when I mention the resulting erasure of (naturally-occurring) individual character.

But I suppose that taking everything personally, and reading the "you" in public service announcements as a direct conversation... are attributes of a shrinking reality.

(thread relevance is important to me)
By late
QatzelOk wrote:
But I suppose that taking everything personally, and reading the "you" in public service announcements as a direct conversation... are attributes of a shrinking reality.

You were responding to me...

But I get it now, this is a reality free zone.
By QatzelOk
late wrote:You were responding to me...

But I get it now, this is a reality free zone.

I wasn't accusing you of anything.

Just trying to work your paranoia into the thread topic.

By the way, for paranoia, you might want to switch from an Indica to a Sativa for a few days. And drink diluted lemon water.
an irony within
an irony
a dream within
a dream

their reality
itself
is nothing but

a simulation of
a simulation of....
By QatzelOk
Modernity in Seven Acts

1. The Best FakenessTM

2. Crushing and domination of much-hated "Reality Luddites"

3. Worsening Side Effects of Fakeness

4. "Reality Luddites" start to threaten domination-by-Fakeness

5. Harsh violent measures against "Reality Luddites"

6. Decline of "environment" (which is attached to reality)

7. Extinction

All accompanied by a fake chorus of Go, fake, go!

It is implausible that the IDF could not or would[…]

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]

@JohnRawls What if your assumption is wrong??? […]

There is no reason to have a state at all unless w[…]