Postmodernism - What is it? - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For the discussion of Philosophy. Discuss thought from Socrates to the Enlightenment and beyond!

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be debated in this forum, but those of religious belief who specifically wish to avoid threads being derailed by atheist arguments might prefer to use the Spirituality forum.
Unthinking Majority wrote:Postmodernism is basically saying there are no universally correct narratives or morality, it is all relative, there are many different perspectives.

This is true.

If this is true, then you should be very scared about the future of your species and many others. See, even though our narratives are arbitrarily cooked up based on the needs and desires of tiny aristocracies bossing yes-men around... we live and die by these narratives. "We will not use first strike" is repeated ad nauseum right up to nuclear holocaust.

Unthinking Majority wrote:I doubt if your child were dying you would reject modern medicine to save them.

Yes, and if I lived 100 km from my high-paying executive job, I'd drive a massive SUV. So what. Stop muddying up the theory of this thread with your banal practical concerns. One person's immediate problems do NOT justify species-destroying trends.

Rich wrote:Modern industry begins in 1320 in Venice with the Arsenale Nuovo. Post modernism or anti-modernism begins with Dante who mentions the Arsenal in his Inferno.

As Potemkin mentionned, "modernity" starts with tool-making and the resultant tool-using and tool-thinking. According to Marshal Mcluhan, each tool - from long-spears to SUVs - provides humans with extensions (thrills) and amputations (Russian Roulette with our survival).

The thrills (extensions)... might include Unthinking Majority's "saving your child with modern medicine"... while the amputations(Russian Roulette) might include "aborting all the babies that are born with birth defects from an environment full of chemicals and drugs."

(some of these toxic, baby-killing drugs in the environment would be the result of saving babies with drugs... in the past)

Can you see how the amputations cancel out all of the extensions eventually?
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ4bO6xWJ4k Ther[…]

@FiveofSwords " chimpanzee " Having[…]

@Rancid They, the dogs, don't go crazy. They s[…]