Is immortality possible? - Page 5 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For the discussion of Philosophy. Discuss thought from Socrates to the Enlightenment and beyond!

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be debated in this forum, but those of religious belief who specifically wish to avoid threads being derailed by atheist arguments might prefer to use the Spirituality forum.
By Torwan
@galactus:

As I've already said, theories cannot be verified, only falsified. Therefore I can't show you why a thing is possible.

Check out Gödel's theories:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6del ... s_theorems

In mathematical logic, Gödel's incompleteness theorems, proved by Kurt Gödel in 1931, are two theorems stating inherent limitations of all but the most trivial formal systems for arithmetic of mathematical interest.

The theorems are also of considerable importance to the philosophy of mathematics. They are widely regarded as showing that Hilbert's program to find a complete and consistent set of axioms for all of mathematics is impossible, thus giving a negative answer to Hilbert's second problem. Authors such as J. R. Lucas have argued that the theorems have implications in wider areas of philosophy and even cognitive science, but these claims are less generally accepted.
By Theodore
galactus:

Well, strictly everything that isn't logically impossible (such as a square circle) is logically possible. But logical possibility alone doesn't amount to much (or rather it doesn't amount to anything at all).

Torwan:

Without getting into debates on the philosophy of science, you would at the very least need to show that something is probable. What the incompleteness of mathematics has to do with any of this is beyond me.
By Torwan
Since everything in the universe comes down to mathematics, this principle applies here as well.
By Theodore
It applies only to mathematics, in any case even if - somehow - it applied to the physical universe it wouldn't prove your point.
By galactus
Well, strictly everything that isn't logically impossible (such as a square circle) is logically possible. But logical possibility alone doesn't amount to much (or rather it doesn't amount to anything at all).

My point was that we cannot assume that things that we don't know are not logically impossible. If God is logically impossible(which some people claim) then we shouldn't be open to his theoretical possibility(whatever that means).

Hmm, It seems I am 6 days too late.

-------

As I've already said, theories cannot be verified, only falsified.

No, they really can't.
Relax! - Achieving Human Biological Immortality Now is not a problem at all - I can make everybody Immortal in less than a month - We humans can stop aging and ailing (by wiping out all diseases) and live forever (like our Creators from the planet of Nibiru - The Anunnaki) - I got the key to our Biological Immortality - By staying absolutely healthy all the time - By doing my discovery (just an exercise for a minute a day) - My WVCD - The Weapon of Virus and Cancer Destruction, that cures and prevents any diseases, known on Earth for millions of years, even radiation disease (concerning space flights) - I will describe my WVCD to everyone, who sends me a check for one million bucks - Everybody will stay absolutely healthy all the time, living their Endless Lives, for Infinite Health = Immortality.
Besoeker wrote:I wouldn't want it anyway.

Me neither, but I still prefer not to die. :?: :lol:
By Decky
Besoeker wrote:He wants your money first!!

He needs to work for it. At real ale pubs they let try a bit of each ale in a tiny glass before you buy your pint. Why can't he tell me a little more about his new technology?
Immortality is not desirable, but a more modest goal of extended lifespan/healthspan is achievable. I would expect concrete results (on the order or 10+% increases) in the next 20 years. Increasing healthspan is arguably a more critical area of research - it is just as important to live out your allotted years in a good state of health as increasing their number.

Research is proceeding along a multi-tracked path tackling the age-related issues that are considered most destructive:
1) Cell loss, impaired division. Symptoms are musculo-skeletal weakness, neuron loss, etc.
2) Mutations in the cell nucleus. Cancer
3) Mitochondrial mutations. Mitochrondrial environment is highly oxidative, and the repair mechanisms are much less sophisticated than those in the cell nucleus. Symptoms: decreasing energy output.
4) Cells that refuse to die or divide. There are three classes of cells that can go into this harmful state: visceral fat cells, senescent cells and immune system cells. Symptoms: insulin resistance, immune senescence.
5) AGE (tissue stiffening from crosslinks). Advanced glycation endproducts (AGEs) are probably the most famous example of crosslinks. When too many crosslinks occur, tissues lose their elasticity and problems arise. In artery walls, for example, tissue stiffening causes an increase in blood pressure. Breaking these crosslinks is needed to maintain a youthful state.
6) Extracellular junk. Waste products accumulate over time as systems to remove them decline with age. Amyloid plaque.
7) Intracellular junk. The accumulation of this junk eventually causes the cells to stop functioning correctly. The result is problems such as atherosclerosis, blindness, liver spots.
Um yeah, I think immortality could become very painful and worse than life in prison. Your life becomes your prison because you can NEVER leave! :eek:

If immortality meant that you could look exactly the same as you did when you were 30, then that would make prison a little less bad.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Russia doesn't have endless supply of weapons and[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

https://twitter.com/hermit_hwarang/status/1779130[…]

Iran is going to attack Israel

All foreign politics are an extension of domestic[…]

Starlink satellites are designed to deorbit and bu[…]