Now reading - Page 39 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Discuss literary and artistic creations, or post your own poetry, essays etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By dgun
From what I have heard about the plot, I think, Kite Runner is a propaganda book. I would never pick up that fiction.

Don't judge a book by its cover.

It's not at all propaganda.

The focus was never "America was so great for saving Afghanistan, blah blah blah". The American invasion was briefly mentioned at the end of the book, well after the main thrust of the story was over.

The focus of the book was Afghan culture and ethnic issues within Afghanistan. And of course, it was written by a native Afghan.
By Stipe
A change of pace.

Running with the Devil: Power, Gender, and Madness in Heavy Metal Music by Robert Walser.
By Nets
Just finished Hellstrom's Hive by Frank Herbert. Incredibly creepy book.
By Patman
Vietnam: The Australian War by Paul Ham. I have just started it but it seems pretty interesting so far. Just finished The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. Anyone read it? I thought it was absoluetly amazing.
By smashthestate

From Publishers Weekly
Mesmerizing, if it weren't so depressing, Palast delivers some hard-to-refute facts about the contemporary political scene from the fraudulent elections of 2000 and 2004 to advance economic schemes of the haves to virtually enslave the have-nots to the war in Iraq and the obsession of oil. Palast questions the authority of the leaders of this "armed madhouse," often using their words, documents and resources to bring to light some rather disconcerting truths. As narrator, Palast keeps the pace consistent, taking his time with the more complicated passages, while surging forward on the straightforward parts. His ironic and even deadpan tone provides laughs for his listeners. This audiobook employs a host of cameo voices, including Ed Asner, Janeane Garofalo and Larry David for various quotes. Asner proves engaging with a raspy deep voice that could easily land him a career in audiobooks. Harry Shearer's commentary on gambling and homeland security is also very entertaining. But a few guest vocals may have been better delivered by the author. In the end, it's not the voices that are important, it's what Palast has uncovered.
By Steven_K
Nietzsche - On the Genealogy of Morality
Seyla Benhabib - The Claims of Culture: Equality and Diversity in the Global Era
Mike Davis - Planet of Slums
By Photonmaton
Just finished: "Physics and Philosophy" by Heisenberg

Now reading:

1."The Affirmation of Life: Nietzsche on Overcoming Nihilism" by Bernard Reginster
It's pretty good so far but I'd only suggest it to one who has read at least Zarathustra, Beyond Good and Evil, and The Will to Power.

2."Being and Nothingness" by Sartre
Yawntowne, plus his writing is a huge letdown after Nietzschin' for a few months straight.

3. "Time Enough for Love" by Heinlein
By Abood
So I'm done with school and finally got down to doing my own reading. I started with:

By peter_co
So I'm done with school and finally got down to doing my own reading.

Same here, I can finally do things I like for a change. :D

I began with The Third Reich in Power by Richard Evans
By Abood
I have that book. Read around 70 pages of it and then gave up. I'll get back to it... sometime in my lifetime. I actually bought it because I was studying the same exact topic in History back in high school, so I thought it'd be a great read. Then I reminded myself that I'm too lazy to do any extra work for school.
By ingliz
Franz Kafka - The Great Wall of China

Erich Auerbach - Mimesis
By Berenger
Goethe's Faust and The Odyssey by Homer.

Next I'm thinking maybe The Brothers Karamazov...
By HoniSoit
Lensky1917 wrote:"Mao: The Unknown Story" by Jung Chang

'Mao: A Life' by Philip Short is a far superior book - that is, if you want to understand Mao Zedong rather than care about how awful he is as a person.
By Blake
Once were Warriors. Fucking excellent book. In the middle of it now. Great read. Impressive fireworks with the language.
By Falx
Transcendental Number Theory - Baker A.

I'm taking a break from serious studies with this book, I'm not satisfied with the treatment irrationals receive in university courses and the fact that in two years I have yet to encounter anything about transcendentals even though I'm specializing in mathematics and physics. So far fascinating.
By Lensky1917
'Mao: A Life' by Philip Short is a far superior book - that is, if you want to understand Mao Zedong rather than care about how awful he is as a person.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out if I get the chance.

No one would be arrested if protesters did not dis[…]

Nope! Yep! Who claimed they were? What predat[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

It seems a critical moment in the conflict just ha[…]

The Crimean Tatar people's steadfast struggle agai[…]