Best Movie Ever - Page 7 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Discuss literary and artistic creations, or post your own poetry, essays etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By MeMe
@ TheRedBaron
TheRedBaron wrote:The European film industry is a commercial disaster, so in general the release of films must be subsidized by the state or by the public television.

So you believe that the state should not finance arts?
By TheRedBaron
@ MeMe
MeMe wrote:So you believe that the state should not finance arts?

I do not say that. Arts transcend daily life, and stimulate people to reflect on society. Art is: enter a circular room, and spit in its corner. In this way arts may indeed increase the human and social capital. But I do believe that the best movie ever is probably American.
By Stegerwald
TheRedBaron wrote:in most European states the native target group for movies about labour unions is simply too small to justify their production.

Ahem, ahem, you may be right, yes. It is not really my thing either.
By noemon
Did you have your satisfaction sir?

No I did not.

That scene was epic.

But yeah the film aside from being masterful contains so many messages to decipher, it's overwhelming.
By Stegerwald
Stegerwald wrote:As far as I know there are few European films that truly focus on union activism

Also worth mentioning is the French film "Coup pour coup" (1972). This describes again a strike of the workers of in textile factory, mostly women. Most of the roles are played by labourers, and apparently they have also contributed to the script. So do not expect dialogues with brilliant reflections. However, there is plenty of proletarian anger. The story includes the occupation of the factory, and the lock-in (keeping as hostage) of the management. In Germany these instruments of union activism are a rarity, but in France the labour relations have always been more extreme.
By Rugoz
Stegerwald wrote:As far as I know there are few European films that truly focus on union activism, like your eight American ones. I even do not know a single German one, apart from Straik by Schlöndorff, which plays in Poland. I can not explain this strange absence. Perhaps European film makers do not like realism?

I'd say Europe produces the most working class dramas. The Dardenne brothers, Mike Leigh, Ken Loach are few active directors that come to my mind.
By neopagan
Of course, there is no "Best Movie Ever." There are only personal favourites. I am fond of The Asphalt Jungle, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Black Orpheus, and Being John Malkovich. But there are many more "Bests."
By Thomasmariel
Some of the best movies ever made:

Nocturnal Animals, which tells a devastatingly emotional story about a family tragedy and loss.
Alien
Alien Covenant, which is an allegory of the paradoxical need to experience destruction in order to know the pointlessness of destruction
Scream
Beauty and the Beast (1991)
The Fellowship of the Ring
It's hard to pick one but Mad Max 2, Dr Strangelove and Dawn of the Dead would be my top 3 for now.

My favourite movie quote is from Mad Max 1

Station Master: That must be your friend over there. They didn't leave much of him.

Bubba Zanetti: Must've cut his heart out, eh?

What interests are those? He is an honorary US […]

If anyone wants to show an example of the IDF and […]

The tail has been wagging the dog.. Israel is a[…]

Candace Owens

She has, and to add gravitas to what she has said[…]