Best Movie Ever - Page 5 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Discuss literary and artistic creations, or post your own poetry, essays etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Potemkin
There's no such thing as the 'Best Movie Ever'. However, my favourite political movie is Battleship Potemkin, my favourite historical movie is Tarkovsky's Andrei Rublev, and my favourite religious movie is Pasolini's The Gospel According to St Matthew.
By Decky
A hypothetical film in my head that I direct.

Shakespeare's Julius Ceaser but done only with actors from Cockney gangster films.

Julius Ceaser - Ray Winstone
Brutas - Vinny Jones
Octavian -Danny Dyer

etc

What do you recon Potemkin, this is your area, would it work? More importantly would it make lots of money?
By colliric
Decky wrote:A hypothetical film in my head that I direct.

Shakespeare's Julius Ceaser but done only with actors from Cockney gangster films.

Julius Ceaser - Ray Winstone
Brutas - Vinny Jones
Octavian -Danny Dyer

etc

What do you recon Potemkin, this is your area, would it work? More importantly would it make lots of money?

I would love to see it done by the exact same cast from Season 1 of ROME... That was brilliantly cast! Although Marlon Brando will never be matched as Marc Anthony...

It actually helped that he didn't know any Shakespeare beforehand!
By Decky
They guy who plays the debt collector from lock, stock and two smoking barrels would have to be in it somewhere too.
By Godstud
That was Vinny Jones, Decky.

He was great in Snatch, as Bullet-tooth Tony.
By colliric
Decky wrote:They guy who plays the debt collector from lock, stock and two smoking barrels would have to be in it somewhere too.

Who would be your Marc Anthony? Obviously if we could go back in time and nab Brando, it would naturally be him.... But because that's not possible, who would you cast from today's batch? Jason Stratham? Paul Betthany? That guy who played him in ROME(my choice obviously)?
By Decky
Opps I had a right retard moment then, thanks Godstud.

Jason Stratham?

Yes, yes, one thousand times yes.
By Potemkin
Marlon Brando was, of course, the definitive Marc Antony. However, the guy who played him in Rome did a sterling job - he played Marc Antony as the ultimate 'lad'. This was actually historically accurate - Marc Antony's parents were purged by Sulla during his Proscriptions, so he grew up on the streets of Rome without moral guidance. By his late teens, he had to flee Rome to escape his creditors. Legend has it that he had contracted the largest personal debt of any individual in all of world history. What a lad!
By Kosmonaut
Americanroyalty wrote:Check out Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy it has the best cinematography I've ever seen.

While it's a great movie, I agree, it isn't the greatest. Good, but not great.

TruePolitics wrote:Want to talk about a seriously great, great fucking movie?

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

If you can't concede to that, I don't know what to say.

Dollars Trilogy is amazing. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is the best one of them though. All hail Eastwood.
By Godstud
Apocalypse now. Good movie. Best movie ever? No. I actually preferred Platoon, and A Bridge Too Far had a glorious ensemble class and was top notch in all ways..
By colliric
Godstud wrote:Apocalypse now. Good movie. Best movie ever? No. I actually preferred Platoon, and A Bridge Too Far had a glorious ensemble class and was top notch in all ways..

The best adaptation of Heart of Darkness ever made..... although apparently the one in the Cinemas at the moment is also pretty good stuff too(It is an adaptation, no bones about it, at least closer to it's source material than The Lion King was). I see it on Sunday!

For "the madness of war" theme, I loved Patton and M.A.S.H better myself.
By Godstud
Catch 22 was a bit looney, too.

Don't forget Kelly's Heroes! Donald Sutherland was unforgettable in that one! The Eagle has Landed is one of my favourites, too.
Godstud wrote:Catch 22 was a bit looney, too.

Don't forget Kelly's Heroes! Donald Sutherland was unforgettable in that one! The Eagle has Landed is one of my favourites, too.

Definitely one of the greatest openings to a film.
By colliric
Oxymoron wrote:Patton was pro war.........................

Not really. It was representative of Pattons' own views.

So even if we look only at haplotypes found in a […]

@wat0n It is seen as unacceptable and abnormal[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

We were once wild before wheat and other grains do[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

The Israeli government could have simply told UNRW[…]