Co-operative Source Licence - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Discuss literary and artistic creations, or post your own poetry, essays etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Okay, I just had a idea. Instead of flaky, slowly developed open-source software, why don't we make some sort of communist, collective, cooperative, call it what you will, system of software licencing. I will outline the prinicples, and add the legal jargon when I've listened to you, thought a bit more an finalised the idea.

Faults of Open Source:

- Open Source GPL is closer to anarchist ideology, BSD moreso
- Open Source splinters. An enhanced version of program x is made, and so is another... these both have improvements, yet one has to download both versions to get the improvements.
- There are often problems which go unfixed in modified programs.
- Development is slow and unfocused. Though, it still be better than commercialware
- Legal rights are hard to enforce, in fact, in the case of BSD there are few, Windows XP apparently uses borrowings from BSD Unix using a legal loophole (a programmer friend of mine told me this - I can't verify its validity).
- Open Source has a 'fix-it-yourself' attitude, something which many users can't do.

So, now we have the bad points of open-source why don't we draw up a plan a little something like this:

- You are entitled to make improvements on the source code, but may not distribute it, it will be submitted to the controller (ie. cooperative) , the original will be modified. Your modified version will be made available just for sake of interest and improvement if not good enough.
- Source code must be requested (I'm not sure about this)
- The interests of the user will be put first.
- Software can either be distributed gratis or for a fee, as allowed by the cooperative - if for a fee, programmers are rewarded for their work with a share in that year's dividend, if the program is considered viable. I am not sure about this, perhaps it would be better to set up separate cooperatives, non-profit ones that don't charge, and ones that operate of licence fees as a means of financial maintainence.
- Anyone may join the cooperative board, providing they agree with the constitution of it.
- The board will decide what to do with programs, which versions to use, what standards to adopt.
- All board members must participate in more than their own programs.
- The cooperative itself may change the software officialy, or merge code, which solves the 'program x' scenario..

So, what do you think? A good idea?

I don't care who I have to fight. White people wh[…]

America gives disproportionate power to 20% of th[…]

World War II Day by Day

Yes, we can thank this period in Britain--and Orw[…]

This is a story about a woman who was denied adequ[…]