Modern Lit? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Discuss literary and artistic creations, or post your own poetry, essays etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By kobe
I've been trying to get into modern stuff. But I can't tell what's actually good, ya know? I mean art is so subjective I feel like a lot of critics will gush at the idea of something more than the execution.

Any lit recommendations are fine actually, but I've read a lot of the "traditional" great English authors so I'd love to hear any recommendations from the 80's+
By Godstud
British author E. L. James

KIDDING!!!
By Americanroyalty
Don't get caught up in lists (they're almost as bad as quizzes).
Just finished "Infinite Jest" by David Foster Wallace, defenitely worth a read.
By Godstud
He meant a new author, I think. Probably from this century.
By Nattering Nabob
Godstud wrote:He meant a new author, I think. Probably from this century.

Well he said 80's+ so I figured 1978 was close enough
By Drlee
Patrick Obrian.

A spectacular author. 21 books in the Aubrey Maturin series. According to the New York times "The best historical novels ever written". Harvard review of books: "The greatest writer in English since Jane Austen".

Start at the beginning and by book three you will be a life-long fan.
By Godstud
Downloading his first book, now. I like that sort of thing.
By kobe
Thank you for the recommendations, keep them coming. Huge historical fiction fan so I will check it out. Also into scifi stuff and obviously any really hilarious books.
By Potemkin
Anything by Hank Bukowski.
By Azure Angel
Potemkin wrote:Anything by Hank Bukowski.

Factotum is amazing in my humble opinion.
By Noelnada

I think this is the most recent book i have read, except the first tome of Game of Thrones (which i gave up). It was rather satisfying, a rather plausible view of the future.

I've read few other "modern" books but i don't think they exist in english version or worth the effort.
By Pants-of-dog
Anything by Neal Stephenson.

If you like historical, read The Baroque Trilogy.

Cryptonomicon is a good start.
By Le Rouge
Do you like science fiction? I recommend all of Kim Stanley Robinson's work. His style of writing is ecological science fiction. The Mars trilogy is an eco-drama of colonizing and terraforming Mars. I've literally weeped hours over the book in pure rapture. It's also the book that inspired me to become a Marxist. He also writes Three CAlifornias: the same portion of Southern California through three different alternate narratives. A series on global warming. Also a new semi-dystopian novel on interstellar travel.

@FiveofSwords Also, don't get too hung up on g[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

This post was made on the 16th April two years ag[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

https://twitter.com/hermit_hwarang/status/1779130[…]

Iran is going to attack Israel

All foreign politics are an extension of domestic[…]