Dieselpunk RPG? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Discuss literary and artistic creations, or post your own poetry, essays etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Frollein
As you may or may not know, I love Dieselpunk. Sadly, there aren't too many books out there, so I was googling for some online RPGs but came up empty-handed. I'm also open to (and perhaps even prefer) text-based RPG, since I have a vivid imagination and need no stupid graphics (besides, my laptop would probably die trying, anyway).

So, who do we turn to, when there's nowhere else to go? To the only forum on the internet, of course, to the only people on the internet...

Any tips?
By fuser
I am not sure if it qualifies as Diesalpunk but there is this game (board + tabletop ) called "Dust Tactics" set up in an alternate universe where ww2 is still going on in 50s with giant walkers and things like that. Just checked it, yup they do have a text based RPG gaming system. Check here.

Anyway Diesalpunk is basically a failed attempt at creating a good Steampunk universe.
By Frollein
fuser wrote:Anyway Dieselpunk is basically a failed attempt at creating a good Steampunk universe.
No it isn't. It draws its inspiration from a different era and is way cooler than that Victorian zombies crap .

Will check out your suggestion.
By The Sabbaticus
Go to 'examples' and check the available links there, although no text-based. Apparently 'Bioshock' qualifies as Dieselpunk, which you'll probably get a kick out of.

Also, text-based sucks arse. No imagination will make up for "Player goes left."
By Frollein
Probably. I want to play, though. I once participated in a Star Trek rpg that was text-based. Basically, we would write some paragraphs in third person limited, describing our player's actions (if you interacted with another player in one scene, you'd play out your dialogue via PM and post the whole scene once it was finished), so when you read the consecutive posts, it was almost like reading a novel. It was very cool and loads of fun.

*sigh* Good times. I want something like that. Urgently.
By Frollein
If only communists are allowed in those plays they are incredibly boring. No politics without adversaries, no conflict -> no plot.
By Noelnada
I'm currently playing a bit of Fallout 4 on PC. Not exactly Dieselpunk but it's an interesting retrofutiristic post-apocalyptic RPG. Far from perfect though.

Only Diesel punk game i can think of is which is not a RPG but tactical :

[youtube]MGTB7qEDuFE[/youtube]
By Zamuel
Frollein wrote:It draws its inspiration from a different era and is way cooler than that Victorian zombies crap
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow ? STILL waiting for a sequel !

Lots of GUNS and then ... some more guns ! Right ?

Here's a link to one that's in late stage development and may be getting started soon ... "Atmospheric single-player/co-op RPG set in a "living" dieselpunk sandbox with real-time tactical gameplay"

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1892480689/insomnia-an-rpg-set-in-a-brutal-dieselpunk-univers/posts/1477926

I'm currently playing EVE (online) ... There is quite a bit of Role playing there for those who want it. It's not particularly Punkish, but LOTS of tactical and player interaction (if you want it) Online Corporations, LARGE combative factions, Usually between 15,000 and 30,000 players online ... The biggest universe I've ever played in. But it's a fairly steep learning curve for beginners.

Zam
By fuser
*Player emerges from the pit riding on a flying tank*

Next turn
By Zamuel
fuser wrote:*Player emerges from the pit riding on a flying tank*

Tank rolls over dumping player back into pit, then hovers with main gun pointed at players head ... Player says : (? ? ?)

Next ...
By The Sabbaticus
*dieselpunk tank makes too much noise with its roaring engines, while it's spitting out noxious fumes of thick black smoke, which would put to shame the air pollution in Beijing, and making it a juicy target, leaving the gunnery sergeant of the patrolling dieselpunk airship with little choice as he immediately bombards the target with incendiary diesel-bombs, the nearby civilians be damned, resulting in a raging diesel-fuel explosion, spreading noxious fumes through the entire city district*

*everyone dies*

Game Over.
Last edited by The Sabbaticus on 30 Jan 2016 09:25, edited 1 time in total.
By fuser
*player screams,"for comrade Stalin" and pushes the button for that bomb he just planted on the tank just before teleporting away*

By fuser
One at a time please. Anyway your opinions are invalid, you hate everything.
By Frollein
It's sad how your imagination (that's all of you, btw) has been crippled by video games. Read again my description of the Star Trek RPG I once participated in. If you'd read a Dieselpunk RPG that was played like that, it would read like a noir or pulp novel. That's what I'm looking for, not blowing up shit in a video game with WWII aesthetics.
By fuser
You do realize this was not a serious exchange but people were simply trying to outbullshit each other. RPGs can be fun if done with right people but now I am too embarrassed to reveal more geekier side of me.

@FiveofSwords A person's academic work should […]

I find it bizarre that people like @Unthinking M[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Jews? Are you insane? Tsars actively supported t[…]

World War II Day by Day

May 15, Wednesday Britons flock to the local def[…]