favourite writer - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Discuss literary and artistic creations, or post your own poetry, essays etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By noemon
Drlee wrote:Patrick O'Brian.
@Neoman
Gabriel Garcia Marquez
"Love in the Time of Cholera"
A special book.

I need to get this, cheers.
By Nets
Christopher Priest, an English science fiction writer, is my favorite. Some notable works: The Prestige, The Glamour, Inverted World, An Infinite Summer.
By Baykok
Would be hard to name only one. One of my favourites is Jack Kerouac. The power of his language, his prose, the dynamism of the text itself is fascinating, not to mention the ambiance he manages to create in his writings. Also Lautréamont, Tzara, and Dadaists&Surrealists in general. Camus, Murakami, Faulkner. They also. I really can't pick an absolute favourite.
By ingliz
noemon wrote:100 years of Loneliness

One Hundred Years of Solitude, surely. Loneliness is so depressing, solitude can be enjoyed.

favourite writer

I like a good potboiler so I am torn between choosing Mikhail Aleksandrovich Sholokhov or Emile Édouard Charles Antoine Zola ... Eeny Meeny Miny Moe, Catch a ... Emile Zola it is.

:)
By Bosnjak
Orwell I nearly read all his books.
By Reichstraten
Robert Walser is my favourite writer.

Walser is understood to be the missing link between Kleist and Kafka. "Indeed," writes Susan Sontag, "At the time [of Walser’s writing], it was more likely to be Kafka [who was understood by posterity] through the prism of Walser. Robert Musil, another admirer among Walser’s contemporaries, when he first read Kafka pronounced [Kafka’s work] as, 'a peculiar case of the Walser type.'" Walser was admired early on by writers such as Robert Musil, Hermann Hesse, Stefan Zweig, Walter Benjamin and Franz Kafka, and was in fact better known in his lifetime than Franz Kafka or Walter Benjamin, for example, were known in their lifetimes.
By One Degree
I would have to go with Scott Peck if forced to choose. He gives the best insight to what is happening in the world, despite becoming a little extreme as he tried to expand upon his reasoning. I would not select one book, because his wisdom was not to be found in just reading one.
One Degree wrote:I would have to go with Scott Peck if forced to choose. He gives the best insight to what is happening in the world, despite becoming a little extreme as he tried to expand upon his reasoning. I would not select one book, because his wisdom was not to be found in just reading one.

People of the Lie is a remarkable book.
I can't decide on a single author. There's so many genres and so many great authors. Some of my favorite include Chekhov, Dostoyevski, Hannah Arendt, and so on. Most of the books I read for pleasure are science fiction by authors such as Dan Simmons (writer of the excellent Hyperion cantos), Heinlein, Stanislaw Lem, Philip K Dick, and Alfred Bester. I'm very selective about poetry, but I appreciate anything by Matsuo Basho. I also enjoy reading kabuki and joruri plays by Japanese playwrights such as Chikamatsu.

I suppose if I had to pick a single one, I'd probably go with Shakespeare. Hamlet, and others by him, are true works of art and timeless masterpieces.
By colliric
I love most of these Authors mentioned (Douglas Adams and Orwell in particular)....

I'll even throw in Emily Bronte because Wuthering Heights is a masterpiece.

HG Wells is one of my favorites... Especially his novellas The Time Machine and The War Of The Worlds... Both of which are so visually written it's no surprise they've been two of the most film adapted novels ever.

But my favorite modern contemporary novel is Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton, who also wrote the fantastic script for Westworld....

So yeah since 1993 been going with him as my fav because he wrote my favourite modern book(turned into one of the best films of the 1990s) and I ain't gonna change.
It's amazing how Jurassic Park still holds up after almost 25 years. Its special effects still look stunning and the film itself looks great and has a good script. Two other book-to-film adaptations that are still excellent which come to mind are Blade Runner and 2001: A Space Odyssey. Although 2001 looks a little dated in parts of the film, overall it is still a visual masterpiece that holds up after all these years.
By colliric
2001 was film scripted at the same time it was written as a novel. So it was more of a "novel written at the exact same time as the movie was concurrently being made".

I still think it's the only time a book not a "film tie-in novel(I.e. Based on a completed screenplay)" was written at the same time as the film was being written and filmed.

Technically it's an adaptation of his earlier short story.

...Or maybe because there are many witnesses sayin[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

If the tunnels were built by Hamas openly, then th[…]

Sounds like perfect organized crime material ex[…]

Commercial foreclosures increase 97% from last ye[…]