World famous paintings. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Discuss literary and artistic creations, or post your own poetry, essays etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
One of the highest honors for an artist is to be considered and regarded a master. Artists desire to create artwork that will be remembered forever. Leonardo da Vinci worked on his masterpiece over a period of 20 years. He carried it with him everywhere. The enigmatic smile has captured the imagination of the world. It has been stolen twice and now resides in the Louvre, Paris. When the Mona Lisa visited America in the 1960s, it gained a prominence close to that of the then US president John F Kennedy. Why do people queue up for so many hours to catch a fleeting glimpse? Perhaps because it is very human, but at the same time offering a sensation that there is something beyond. In the world, but looking beyond. Is that not a smile of supreme satisfaction?
Why do people queue up for so many hours to catch a fleeting glimpse? Perhaps because it is very human, but at the same time offering a sensation that there is something beyond. In the world, but looking beyond. Is that not a smile of supreme satisfaction?

She's wealthy and good-looking; of course she looks pleased with herself. However, this is probably a more appropriate emotional response to catching a glimpse into the ontological reality underlying the surface appearances of reality....

Potemkin wrote:She's wealthy and good-looking; of course she looks pleased with herself. However, this is probably a more appropriate emotional response to catching a glimpse into the ontological reality underlying the surface appearances of reality....

After my art appreciation class, I never thought I would appreciate art, but I really like this. :)
After my art appreciation class, I never thought I would appreciate art, but I really like this. :)

Edvard Munch is one of my favourite artists - he's wonderfully Nordic, miserable and angst-ridden. :up:

Here are some more of his paintings....

Madonna:

The Dance of Life:

And the man himself. With a skeleton arm, natch. ;)

Wow! The 'Dance of Life' is mesmerizing. Thanks Pote.

Edit: I just noticed the moon above the pedestal. ;) It took awhile to get my attention away from the emotions displayed by the people.
Wow! The 'Dance of Life' is mesmerizing. Thanks Pote.

It's one of his best, and one of my favourite paintings of all time. The way he uses colour and form to create a rhythmic effect is astonishing and, yes, mesmerising.

Edit: I just noticed the moon above the pedestal. ;) It took awhile to get my attention away from the emotions displayed by the people.

That's not a pedestal, that's the moon reflected in the water of a fjord. And yes, it really does look like that in real life. :)
Potemkin wrote:It's one of his best, and one of my favourite paintings of all time. The way he uses colour and form to create a rhythmic effect is astonishing and, yes, mesmerising.

That's not a pedestal, that's the moon reflected in the water of a fjord. And yes, it really does look like that in real life. :)

I will take your word for it. I thought he was showing 'real romance' as a distant unobtainable goal. So why the moon and it's reflection do you think?
I will take your word for it. I thought he was showing 'real romance' as a distant unobtainable goal. So why the moon and it's reflection do you think?

The moon may be a symbol of unattainable eternity. And the female menstrual cycle is monthly and is governed by the moon, so there is a link with female sexuality. And the reflection of the moon in the water may be a phallic symbol. There are all sorts of meanings one can read into it. And you are right - Munch regarded romantic happiness between men and women as an unattainable ideal - as Jacques Lacan put it, "it never works out between men and women". The moon can never meet its reflection....
Ah, my first thought was it was phallic, but I could not put it in context so dismissed it.
Picasso painted this portrait of his mum when he was fourteen. I consider him, in the main, a portrait artist.

Picasso painted this when he was fifteen..

By Drlee
Paintings are time machines. Whenever I am in DC I spend hours and hours at the National Gallery. I like to look at the backgrounds in old paintings. It is as close as I will ever come to understanding those times.

The human subjects of paintings represent people the artist hopes we will understand but who we can never know. I am intrigued by paintings of common scenes. I wonder what the artist would like me to take from his painting. What is it that he felt that people ought to know? Artists must have a sense that their work will endure for generations.

Of course they do it for money also. So there is always the equally interesting question of who paid and why they thought the painting pleasing or otherwise edifying.

In the National Gallery there is a room with several Rembrandt's. If you can get past his almost transcendent fame, and really work with each painting, you can picture the room that he is in. His light sources are obvious but his use of them masterful.

... Also, Hamas doesn't need to be eradicated. E[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

If I were a Palestinian living under occupation, […]

I wasn't sure exactly what the liberal response w[…]

The importance of out-breeding

https://external-content.duckduckgo.c[…]