Should I buy the new Rolling Stones album? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Discuss literary and artistic creations, or post your own poetry, essays etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
So long as there's money to be made, the Stones will never die, Godstud. I hear that Death came for them decades ago, but they bribed him to fuck off again. I believe he gets a percentage of their royalties now. ;)

At least their new video is hot. The new album is an instant number one hit on the official UK chart. On Tottenham Court Road in Central London, there is the pub where the band made their world debut. I missed visiting the historical site but I walked through Tottenham Court Road numerous times when I was a student.
Maybe Jagger is like Jehovah ( Yaweh ) unknowable. Is he a self-absorbed misogynist? Is he a gay man in denial, whose every "score" belies the sexual insecurity?

Well, the music is usually good, and it is also the creation of 3 other men. I might download a song or two, perhaps.
I've never been a musician, but there's no doubt that creatively, almost all of them run out of gas in their 40's, usually even sooner than that.

Likely what happens though, the icons such as the Rolling Stones play tapes of their unreleased recordings from their younger days, or various riffs they've previously recorded from their younger days, get a manager to analyze it, get a good studio sound technician, mix it all together, and on a new album they may actually put together a hit or two. The rest of the album is usually garbage.

I wish them good luck.
SolarCross wrote:I heard he was a very "close" and "personal" "friend" of David Bowie. Nudge nudge wink wink say no more.

I never believed that story the way you implied it. Could they have woke-up in the same bed? Possibly, as when you're that drug addicted and high, you could fall asleep and wake-up anywhere especially in a room full of partiers doing the same.

Bowie was a devout homosexual, and in almost every single one of his hit songs, there was reference to male homosexuality.

Jagger did not write lyrics like that at all, and when focusing on sex in his songs, it was always with the female persuasion.
stephen50right wrote:I never believed that story the way you implied it. Could they have woke-up in the same bed? Possibly, as when you're that drug addicted and high, you could fall asleep and wake-up anywhere especially in a room full of partiers doing the same.

Bowie was a devout homosexual, and in almost every single one of his hit songs, there was reference to male homosexuality.

Jagger did not write lyrics like that at all, and when focusing on sex in his songs, it was always with the female persuasion.

Well it was the swinging sixties... even straight people would swing a bit to be cool. But yeah I guess Jagger is hetero but it seems a done deal that he had some encounters of the homo kind.
For me, the Rolling Stones had two genuinely good albums: Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed. The rest is pretty awful, and it's frankly embarrassing that they're still going. Having said that, I can't help but like them. :lol:

*Edit: fixed word order
Last edited by Heisenberg on 06 Dec 2016 16:13, edited 1 time in total.
SolarCross wrote:Well it was the swinging sixties... even straight people would swing a bit to be cool. But yeah I guess Jagger is hetero but it seems a done deal that he had some encounters of the homo kind.

Well, we both agree that Jagger is hetero.

Admittedly, I've never done anything close to the type of drugs that these rock stars and their groupies did, IE everything under the sun from LSD to banana peels, and who knows what else? Perhaps it could make you do things, out of your mind things, I really don't know. But being hetero myself, I couldn't ever see myself under any type of "influence" to want to do something like that with a male.

Yes, it was the swinging sixties, and a simple shot in the arm from a doctor, quickly cured whatever disease you caught. Not any more. Now you can die from a night of risky frolicking such as that.
Heisenberg wrote:For me, the Rolling Stones had genuinely two good albums: Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed. The rest is pretty awful, and it's frankly embarrassing that they're still going. Having said that, I can't help but like them. :lol:

I hear ya, the Stones really are too old to rock & roll. Their last concert I saw the clips on YouTube, and Richards missed so many notes it wasn't even funny. But nobody seemed to care, I guess to many in the crowd it was reliving old times is all that mattered, or the young people in the crowd getting to see rock & roll icons play...and of course nothing at all wrong with any of that.

I'm surprised you didn't mention Sticky Fingers, which happens to be one of my favorite albums.

I can't help but like them either.
stephen50right wrote:
Well, we both agree that Jagger is hetero.

Admittedly, I've never done anything close to the type of drugs that these rock stars and their groupies did, IE everything under the sun from LSD to banana peels, and who knows what else? Perhaps it could make you do things, out of your mind things, I really don't know. But being hetero myself, I couldn't ever see myself under any type of "influence" to want to do something like that with a male.

Yes, it was the swinging sixties, and a simple shot in the arm from a doctor, quickly cured whatever disease you caught. Not any more. Now you can die from a night of risky frolicking such as that.

You can die from narcotic consumption also. Life as a Rock God in swinging London means life in the fast lane, honestly a night of experimental bum prodding is relatively low risk behaviour in comparison. It is remarkable the Stones survived it all so well and to such as advanced age when a great chunk of their peers died very young from this lifestyle.
SolarCross wrote:You can die from narcotic consumption also. Life as a Rock God in swinging London means life in the fast lane, honestly a night of experimental bum prodding is relatively low risk behaviour in comparison. It is remarkable the Stones survived it all so well and to such as advanced age when a great chunk of their peers died very young from this lifestyle.

Yep, I 'm sure you probably know the stories of Brian Jones, Keith Moon, etc.

From a music standpoint, not a personal standpoint, there are only a few rock stars that I could care less about when they died young. For example John Lennon, musicly I couldn't care less when he was killed, he was done years ago as a musician, singing and writing nothing but garbage for years. Brian Jones on the other hand was a musical genius - i miss thinking about the future compositions he would have put together when he sobered up a bit and formed another band, as I'm sure you know, he started the Rolling Stones. Buddy Holly is another who I believe would have written some wonderful music for a long time. Frankly, they are the only two i can think of off the top of my head in this regard...maybe Hendrix, but I think he may have peaked at the time of his death, i'm not sure. Could be others, who have slipped my mind for now.
I saw the Stones play a decade ago and they were good, in my opinion. I'd never seen 'em before. Later, I listened to a recording someone seated up front secretly made, and Mick sounded as if he has a cold. But, from my $100 seat he sounded OK.

Everyone has a right to be hetero, homo, or a mix of those. I posted what I posted because Mick's a bit arrogant at times, and I fail to se ehim as a stud, regardless of how many women he has screwed. One of whom is reported to have said, "It was good but it wasn't Mick Jagger".

Why can't stars be nicer people? I wanna like Madonna, but she's stuck on herself. They say Lady Gaga is, too. (Annie Lennox is as sexually undefined as any, so maybe being so raises the likelihood one will be creative. The way being off kilter does. I put myself in the latter category :)

https://twitter.com/ShadowofEzra/status/178113719[…]

Lies. Did you have difficulty understanding t[…]

Al Quds day was literally invented by the Ayatolla[…]

Yes Chomsky - the Pepsi-Cola professor of Linguis[…]