The Theology of Person of Interest - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Discuss literary and artistic creations, or post your own poetry, essays etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
The US television show Person of Interest (2011-2016) offered a modern Trinity. A self-effacing God the Father, Harold Finch (Michael Emerson), created a Holy Ghost in the Machine, a mass-surveillance computer. He recruited a kickass Son, former CIA agent John Reese, who investigates the “persons of interest” selected by the Machine, who are either criminals or their victims.

By “coincidence,” the Son in this Trinity was played by Jim Caviezel, previously best known for portraying Jesus in Mel Gibson’s bloody The Passion of the Christ (2004).

(Spoiler Alert) The apostle Lionel Fusco (Kevin Chapman) was a corrupt cop who is redeemed by the Trinity and works with the Son to “save” others. In the final season, he becomes a “Doubting Thomas” whose faith is restored when he is accepted into the inner circle and learns the Truth. Another apostle, Officer Jocelyn "Joss" Carter (Taraji P. Henson) was “martyred” in the third season.

Samaritan, an evil copy of the Machine, was Satan.

Greek and Roman Mythology

However, one must step away from the Judeo-Christian tradition in explaining the other female roles. Samantha “Root” Groves (Amy Acker), who claimed to talk to the Machine, may correspond to the Oracle of Delphi, the priestess who delivered prophecies inspired by the Greek gods. After her death, the voice of Root and her persona were adopted by the Ghost in the Machine, thus elevating a woman to the Trinity.

Sameen Shaw (Sarah Shahi was a former ISA assassin now working for the Trinity. In a final message from the mortal Root, the Machine tells Shaw that if she were a “shape,” she was an arrow, perhaps a reference to the Roman hunting goddess Diana, who is often depicted with a bow and a quiver of arrows. Diana is sometimes accompanied by hunting gods; Shaw took custody of the dog Bear from Fusco.

In the last episode, the Son (Reese) gives his life to save the world from Satan (Samaritan). Finch, the Father, apparently survives. The Holy Ghost (Root) is resurrected. Heeding the Calling, Shaw is now the Daughter who replaces the Son in the Trinity. Thus, women become two-thirds of the Trinity.

The series aired on CBS, whose eye logo, like the Machine, seems to be ever watchful.

If culture is a shadow of reality, then perhaps Person of Interest reflected a true change in the divine forces that govern our world.

Robert Urbanek wrote:
If culture is a shadow of reality, then perhaps Person of Interest reflected a true change in the divine forces that govern our world.

I would say, rather, that there is an effort on the part of some persons to influence the culture towards a certain direction, and that the Western media/entertainment complex is the primary means of these certain persons towards that goal. Perhaps those persons in question wish to overthrow what they see as the ''Divine Order'', but I believe that they will not succeed, nor will they influence my mind, either.
annatar1914 wrote:I would say, rather, that there is an effort on the part of some persons to influence the culture towards a certain direction, and that the Western media/entertainment complex is the primary means of these certain persons towards that goal. Perhaps those persons in question wish to overthrow what they see as the ''Divine Order'', but I believe that they will not succeed, nor will they influence my mind, either.

Michael Emerson, who portrayed the God-like figure in Person of Interest, is now in the CBS series Evil, in which he plays a character who encourages others to commit evil acts. This would seem to support your theory that Hollywood is encouraging spiritual subversion, in this case suggesting that God and the Devil are two sides of the same coin.
Robert Urbanek wrote:Michael Emerson, who portrayed the God-like figure in Person of Interest, is now in the CBS series Evil, in which he plays a character who encourages others to commit evil acts. This would seem to support your theory that Hollywood is encouraging spiritual subversion, in this case suggesting that God and the Devil are two sides of the same coin.

Absolutely. And in any case, definite signs of a malign agenda.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

If there are tunnels near Nuseirat, then this is a[…]

https://media.gq.com/photos/65d4b3d8[…]

So we agree that it is not simply carte blanche an[…]

@KurtFF8 Litwin wages a psyops war here but we[…]